Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 01:21 PM

586 posts, read 830,701 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband are both on the short side. I am 5'3 and he is arguably 5'4 (people say we look to be the same height and we even did a back to back for fun but oh well who cares. If that 1 inch boosts his self esteem by all means ). His parents are fairly short too, his mom is around 5'2, and his dad may be slightly taller than him. I havent met his parents yet, they live overseas but based on pics I would guess his dad to be 5'5. However, his younger brother is much taller, despite his parents being small. His brother looks to be 5'8 or so.

On my side of the family, my mom is short 5'3, but my dad is tall 5'6 - 5'8 and so is my paternal grand dad (my grandma passed away so I dont know how tall she was). Obviously, I inherited my mom's gene.

We now have two sons. The first one was born 2 months premature. He came out measuring only 11.75 inches. By 6 months he caught up and has constantly been in the 95th percentile. We call him daddy long legs. I have no idea where he got his height from considering both me and dh are short. Maybe he inherited it from my dad or grandpa?

My second son is not so lucky. He is short and looks like an 8 month old when in fact he is 12 months. He looks cute as a button and we refer him as "the minion" because he is short and stout. The doctors are concerned though because he is growing very slowly and is in the 3rd percentile for height. If he falls below the 3rd percentile, they will evaluate him further. Although he looks so cute, we are all concerned.

I've read on an article that genes only affect 25% of a child's height. The other factors are diet, sleep, and exercise. I have seen more than a few families that have children taller than them. Both of my half brothers are taller than my mom and stepdad. So, theres probably hope that my second wont be in "minion" status forever. Care to share, please?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 01:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Me and my husband are both on the short side. I am 5'3 and he is arguably 5'4 (people say we look to be the same height and we even did a back to back for fun but oh well who cares. If that 1 inch boosts his self esteem by all means ). His parents are fairly short too, his mom is around 5'2, and his dad may be slightly taller than him. I havent met his parents yet, they live overseas but based on pics I would guess his dad to be 5'5. However, his younger brother is much taller, despite his parents being small. His brother looks to be 5'8 or so.

On my side of the family, my mom is short 5'3, but my dad is tall 5'6 - 5'8 and so is my paternal grand dad (my grandma passed away so I dont know how tall she was). Obviously, I inherited my mom's gene.

We now have two sons. The first one was born 2 months premature. He came out measuring only 11.75 inches. By 6 months he caught up and has constantly been in the 95th percentile. We call him daddy long legs. I have no idea where he got his height from considering both me and dh are short. Maybe he inherited it from my dad or grandpa?

My second son is not so lucky. He is short and looks like an 8 month old when in fact he is 12 months. He looks cute as a button and we refer him as "the minion" because he is short and stout. The doctors are concerned though because he is growing very slowly and is in the 3rd percentile for height. If he falls below the 3rd percentile, they will evaluate him further. Although he looks so cute, we are all concerned.

I've read on an article that genes only affect 25% of a child's height. The other factors are diet, sleep, and exercise. I have seen more than a few families that have children taller than them. Both of my half brothers are taller than my mom and stepdad. So, theres probably hope that my second wont be in "minion" status forever. Care to share, please?

I'm 5'9 and my husband is 6', and one of ours at age 19 is 6'3".

You never can tell. Some kids shoot up early and then plateau during puberty. One of my older kids did that, stopping at 5'10 in high school. There are lots of online height prediction calculators.

I just hope you'll stop calling him "the minion" by the time he knows what you mean. Nothing makes being the shorter brother worse than constant family teasing.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:34 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
The opposite. I am 6'1" and my ex-husband is 6'4". Our daughter is a midget. 5'8".

Old 07-24-2015, 01:35 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
I am 5'11", our daughter is taller at 6'.
My husband is 6'4", our son is 6'8"

For the past several generation on my side, the girls are always taller than their moms. I think genetics play the major role.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I'm 5'9 and my husband is 6', and one of ours at age 19 is 6'3".

You never can tell. Some kids shoot up early and then plateau during puberty. One of my older kids did that, stopping at 5'10 in high school. There are lots of online height prediction calculators.

I just hope you'll stop calling him "the minion" by the time he knows what you mean. Nothing makes being the shorter brother worse than constant family teasing.
Of course we will stop calling him that by the time he hits 2. He's only 1 now, so doesnt know what a minion is. We call him "the minion" lovingly because minions are sooo cute. I know how it feels to be short, dh doesnt appreciate people calling him short either. I just dont understand how they could be so different in height...I guess I will just have to wait and see since I have no experience in this matter.

I was one of the tallest kids in my 4th grade class. By the time I went to middle school, everyone else grew taller than me and I think I've been the same height since.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:46 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post

I just dont understand how they could be so different in height....
Because genetics is fascinating and mysterious and a very big part of this phenomenon.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
My parents, brother and sister were all about the same height but I am 4"-6" taller then each of them. My maternal grandfather was 6' so I figure thats where I got the extra height (although I am not close to 6')

Old 07-24-2015, 02:05 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
I'm pretty astonished that a doctor could look at the height of you and your husband and not realize that SOMEONE Has to be in the 3rd percentile and wouldn't it make sense that it would be the child of people who are in the 3rd percentile?

if your son is meeting milestones, get a new doctor who knows what he is talking about.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 PM

492 posts, read 637,905 times
My eldest daughter was 4'10 when she started high school. By the time she started college she was 5'2, she's now 5'7 or so. I'm 5'3, her dad was 6'0. So sometimes you just don't know.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:20 PM

They said below 3% is failure to thrive and there may be underlying conditions. I asked my mom if I was that small when I was around 1 years old. She said I was small, but not THAT small. No one would believe me when I say he is 1 years old. He looks like an 8 month old. He looks cute alright, but he's only grew 1 inch in 4 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting