Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester007 View Post
Do you actually have one of these? Like a watch?
10 Wearable Safety and GPS Devices for Kids - SafeWise

Just a starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 02:47 AM

492 posts, read 638,399 times
I tried a leash on my eldest at an airport when she was 2 or 3. Tied up an entire family. After that we tended to go with the balloon option. Buy a helium balloon, tie it to her wrist. Suddenly she's 7 feet tall and you can see her anywhere. This works particularly well at amusement parks and malls. She's now in her mid 20s, travels the world on her own. I haven't lost her yet.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:10 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
This is always my main concern in any public place. I never resorted to the kid leash but rather hand holding and constant observation. Even so, both of my kids have wandered off or let go of my hand while I was distracted and finding them was the longest 30 seconds of my life.

Last edited by cjmeck; 07-28-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Monkey backpack with leash.

Your opinion vs my kid's safety...there is no debate/argument.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
I held my kids hands if we were in a public place where I wasn't pushing a cart. Not sure why kids have to be 3-5 feet away at the end of a leash instead. The people I have seen with leashes on their kids usually allow the kids to circle around a bit and the leash ends up tangling up other people trying to walk.

My autistic son is a runner without boundary sense. When he was little and we would go to the beach or the park I would tie a rope around his waist and give him a 10-15 foot diameter slack to play with (We sit places with no other people around to clothesline). Got some nasty looks for that, but big deal. He gets some freedom and I know he can't get away.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester007 View Post
I'd love to hear what strategies people use to make sure they don't lose their kids - like at the mall, or other open spaces. I've heard some people literally keep their kid on a leash (like the one that you tie to their waist) but I couldn't bear to do that to either of my children. Any other things you've tried, or are you generally of the belief that you'll find your kids even if you lose sight of them momentarily?

I'm not above using a leash, if it means making sure my kids don't get too far away from me. I would never assume I would be able to find my kid.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Lost my son twice,

10yo in San Diego Zoo,
13yo in the Air/Space museum in DC.

Zoo Keepers were on the look out for him, and only One exit was open then, and they had picture of him. Also they don't let "young" kids leave alone. He wandered back to where we got separated after about 45 minutes.

In DC he actually had my Cell on him, but would not answer it since the CallerID did not have known numbers. (But @ 13 he know what Hotel we were at, and had a Metro Card) But I also know he would not leave the Museum, so just needed for him to eventually notice that i was no longer near him, and go to information desk.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
This is a sensitive subject for me because by some standards, I am an older parent. My son came along at age 32, but my daughter didn't come until I was 39. DW is one year younger than I am. We have always felt we had to keep up with younger parents and we've done exactly that.

We resolved we'd raise our kids without a device like a leash and we get that word with both of them. My kids always had to hold hands in a parking area, on a street, or near a street. There were times I had to chase after them. However, I always kept up with them. Of course, I've run 10K races and hiked rim to rim at the Grand Canyon, so I can move when I have too.

I'm not telling other parents what to do. If you think you need a leash or a harness for your child to be safe than go for it.

Seriously, if I were picking parents for children one quality that would be on my list is simply physical health and stamina. Intelligence is great, but it won't catch a kid that is running in another direction.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Yeah being able to run faster than the kid is definitely a bonus! My kid sneaked out of the house yesterday morning in her nightdress and was running up the road (on the pavement, not the actual road) and I couldn't catch her with rubbishy crocs on my feet!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:26 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is a sensitive subject for me because by some standards, I am an older parent. My son came along at age 32, but my daughter didn't come until I was 39. DW is one year younger than I am. We have always felt we had to keep up with younger parents and we've done exactly that.

We resolved we'd raise our kids without a device like a leash and we get that word with both of them. My kids always had to hold hands in a parking area, on a street, or near a street. There were times I had to chase after them. However, I always kept up with them. Of course, I've run 10K races and hiked rim to rim at the Grand Canyon, so I can move when I have too.

I'm not telling other parents what to do. If you think you need a leash or a harness for your child to be safe than go for it.

Seriously, if I were picking parents for children one quality that would be on my list is simply physical health and stamina. Intelligence is great, but it won't catch a kid that is running in another direction.
So, you are out alone with your two toddlers ( or 3 in my case) and they run off in different directions, which one do you go after?? It has nothing to do with physical stamina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting