Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:40 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times

Advertisements

I haven't had a baby for 42 years. My eldest is 62. There were three in-between those two. I breast-fed all three and the supplemental bottles were evaporated milk mixed with boiled water and Karo syrup. The starting "formula" given to all new Moms at the hospital was for low quantity of evap milk, gradually increasing the amount and decreasing the water. The Karo could be increased or decreased depending on the B.M. My boys always thrived.

Now, as my sons and their wives have children, it seems that Formula, as in Similac, Enfamil, etc, is the recommended food given to the newborns, even as supplement to breast milk.

Formula is so expensive that they have to keep it under lock and key (like cigarettes) to prevent shop-lifting. And pediatricians seem to discourage new parents from giving their infants anything else until at least six months after birth.

I realize that there are always going to be changes in the way we do things based on research that shows a better way, but given that generations of children grew up on the evap/water/Karo "formula", what makes the synthetic and very expensive stuff better?

We seemed to have had far fewer incidences of "allergies" and Autism during the old days than now that science demands we stop giving our children natural products and feed them with laboratory-produced food.

This opinion is strictly my own and has no basis in scientific research. Just comes under the heading of Stuff I Think About When I Can't Sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
I'm not convinced there were fewer allergies and autism cases 50 years ago - it was just far less widely diagnosed and discussed.

About regular formula vs. your recipe, I suspect part of it is convenience and part of it is vitamins. Ours were breastfed for six months and then gradually transitioned to formula. My guess is that most of what actually goes into formula is not so different from evaporated milk plus Karo syrup, but it's a single powder so it's one step faster and easier. Meanwhile I am sure they also add various vitamins that make it more expensive, but who knows how much it really matters, especially if you are like us and introduce formula around the time you start solid food anyway.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:57 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I haven't had a baby for 42 years. My eldest is 62. There were three in-between those two. I breast-fed all three and the supplemental bottles were evaporated milk mixed with boiled water and Karo syrup. The starting "formula" given to all new Moms at the hospital was for low quantity of evap milk, gradually increasing the amount and decreasing the water. The Karo could be increased or decreased depending on the B.M. My boys always thrived.

Now, as my sons and their wives have children, it seems that Formula, as in Similac, Enfamil, etc, is the recommended food given to the newborns, even as supplement to breast milk.

Formula is so expensive that they have to keep it under lock and key (like cigarettes) to prevent shop-lifting. And pediatricians seem to discourage new parents from giving their infants anything else until at least six months after birth.

I realize that there are always going to be changes in the way we do things based on research that shows a better way, but given that generations of children grew up on the evap/water/Karo "formula", what makes the synthetic and very expensive stuff better?

We seemed to have had far fewer incidences of "allergies" and Autism during the old days than now that science demands we stop giving our children natural products and feed them with laboratory-produced food.

This opinion is strictly my own and has no basis in scientific research. Just comes under the heading of Stuff I Think About When I Can't Sleep.
When I had my kids, formula was actually discouraged unless there was a lack of milk production. Doctors expected the baby would lose some weight in the first few weeks and that was considered normal. Solid food was also recommended, starting with cereal, to be introduced at 3 months. If supplementation was necessary they recommended sugar water. Now it seems they promote formula more and breastfeeding less... I don't see why these things change so much.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:12 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:

I have never ever heard of a pediatrician recommending formula over breast milk.
Quote:
Karo? Do you know what that IS? What's wrong with breast milk?

Quote:
Laboratory produced. You mean like evaporated milk? And Karo? Freakin corn syrup. Really.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:07 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I have never ever heard of a pediatrician recommending formula over breast milk.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said that I breast-fed and the "formula" was supplemental.

Karo? Do you know what that IS? What's wrong with breast milk?

I'm pretty sure I said that I breast-fed and didn't even intimate that there was anything wrong with breast milk.

Laboratory produced. You mean like evaporated milk? And Karo? Freakin corn syrup. Really.
I do, indeed, know what Karo is. And it isn't like we were feeding the children buckets of the stuff. Moms everywhere were giving this "formula" to the babies and those of us nursing only used it sparingly as needed. The amount of Karo in a couple of ounces of "formula" amounted to less than an 1/8 of a teaspoon. Evaporated milk is food product.

Yes, freakin' corn syrup. Really. Now that your knickers are all knotted, you might want to check. There is NO HFCS in Karo. None.

When I referenced pediatricians discouraging new parents from giving their infants anything else for six months, I could have been clearer. I meant breast milk or formula.

(Note katjonjj was the one who said "Now it seems they promote formula more and breastfeeding less..."

Old 08-04-2015, 03:05 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
I do, indeed, know what Karo is. And it isn't like we were feeding the children buckets of the stuff. Moms everywhere were giving this "formula" to the babies and those of us nursing only used it sparingly as needed. The amount of Karo in a couple of ounces of "formula" amounted to less than an 1/8 of a teaspoon. Evaporated milk is food product.

Yes, freakin' corn syrup. Really. Now that your knickers are all knotted, you might want to check. There is NO HFCS in Karo. None.
I don't even eat the stuff. It has no nutritional value at all. Evaporate milk is evaporated COW's milk. Not evaporated human milk Formula is designed to be closest to human milk.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:20 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Evaporate milk is evaporated COW's milk. Not evaporated human milk Formula is designed to be closest to human milk.
Hate to break it to you, but formula is made from COW's milk. You did know that it's not made from human milk, right? It is tweaked a little. Yes, they add more sugar because human milk is sweeter than cow's milk. But at base, formula is cow's milk.

Last edited by saibot; 08-04-2015 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 03:37 PM

101 posts, read 415,847 times
Thankfully, Kaiser encourages breastfeeding and allows baby to room with mom at birth. They have lactation consultants to assist with breastfeeding and services for after-hospital support as well.

Baby #1 was jaundiced at birth and couldn't latch on for a while. They really did push to supplement and I allowed it because they scare you. "Your baby is not gaining weight. Your baby is jaundiced. If you don't supplement, blah blah blah."

It took #1 three weeks to finally latch on. Thank goodness because formula poop is STIIIIIIINNNNNKYYYYY! Ew. Breast milk poop does NOT smell like that.

During those three weeks with #1, I pumped every three to four hours religiously. It was rough and I was tired, but persevered.

Number 1 nursed until #2 came along, just over three years. I pumped while working with #1, and I nursed right away when I picked up her up from daycare. Number 2 latched on right away and we had no issues to speak of.

A lot of mothers I know try breastfeeding for a while, go back to work, and give up breastfeeding because pumping is hassle, or it's just hard to manage. It really is a lot of work. I can attest to that!

Breastfeeding is the natural way to feed baby and the biological norm. Yet, physicians and nurses still push for formula or women no longer do it, don't want to do it or never started it for whatever reasons. I see lots of babies with pacifiers in their mouths, too. Babies don't need pacifiers, they need to nurse! Nurse awake. Nurse to sleep. Nurse while sleeping.

What can we do? Just nurse more at home and in public and make it the norm. I actually don't cover up anymore. I whip it out! I don't care what other people think. I am not shy -- any more. I was at the beginning, but after a while, the baby would rip the cover off! I got over it quickly.

Is it mainly in the US that doctors and nurses push for formula? Is it because moms go right back to work so soon after having baby?

I don't know why moms would spend money on formula when they have free milk they can give baby. It baffles me, too.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:52 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Do some research....because I can't believe that anyone would espouse the ideas you are. They are dangerous at best.....and completly willfully ignorant.

Do you know why you hear of more allergies? Because kids aren't dying as babies is why! Do you really want to go back to that with your Karo sryup??

Last edited by ScarletG; 08-04-2015 at 05:05 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 04:58 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Quote:

The reason that pediatricians recommend commercial formula over home made formula is that commercial formulas are safer and more nutritious. The US government regulates exactly what macro and micro nutrients must be present in formula, and in what proportions. All formulas must meet these regulations.

Homemade formulas may be lacking in nutrients, causing nutritional deficiencies that can impede growth and development. They also can be harmful, if not carefully prepared, whether by contamination or by improper amount of electrolytes.

It's just far, far safer to use commercial formula, if breast milk is not available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting