Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Not anywhere. Do you seriously consider breastfeeding to be nudity?

Not what I said.

Here, in the US, a view of the areola in public broadcast is considered nudity.**shrug**

I'm not going down this road with you today. I breastfed twins and don't need to explain my stance on it to you. The fact is that people in different cultures have different ideas about what is "appropriate."

Stop coming to this forum and trying to shame people who think differently from you. Display all the breastfeeding photos you want. Just don't make a federal case out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,569,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A New Hampshire Walmart refused to print this photo collage because it showed a breastfeeding mother. (Photo: Luna Iris Photography)

A mother who hired a photographer to take photos of her breastfeeding her daughter says the local Walmart refused to print the images because they were “inappropriate.”

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/mom-...020224467.html

But they'll sell guns, products that are designed to kill.

Breasts? Morally dangerous. Weapons? A-OK

Old 08-21-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
But they'll sell guns, products that are designed to kill.

Breasts? Morally dangerous. Weapons? A-OK
It's their choice. Don't like it? Set up your own store.

Besides, they aren't "selling breasts."

Old 08-21-2015, 10:45 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That's the first thing I thought. What kind of professional photographer goes to Wal-Mart for development???
Many photographers will give you all the pictures on a disc. You can pay extra and have the pictures professionally printed by the photographer, or you can pay 10 cents a print from Walgreens/Target/Wal-Mart/wherever.

Most people I know choose to get high quality prints of a few pictures and then print the rest themselves for photo albums or to distribute to families.

When you buy the disk and print them yourself, you are also buying the rights to the photis. That way you don't need the photographers permission anytime you want to make a copy.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:06 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,257,036 times
Quote:

Not what I said.

Here, in the US, a view of the areola in public broadcast is considered nudity.**shrug**

I'm not going down this road with you today. I breastfed twins and don't need to explain my stance on it to you. The fact is that people in different cultures have different ideas about what is "appropriate."

Stop coming to this forum and trying to shame people who think differently from you. Display all the breastfeeding photos you want. Just don't make a federal case out of it.
A tiny bit of areola is nudity? Ok if you say so.

I'm not trying to shame anyone, no one has to look at breastfeeding pictures if they don't want to but I don't want anyone to shame the mothers who take and display those pictures. I'm not the one doing the shaming here.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
A tiny bit of areola is nudity? Ok if you say so.

I'm not trying to shame anyone, no one has to look at breastfeeding pictures if they don't want to but I don't want anyone to shame the mothers who take and display those pictures. I'm not the one doing the shaming here.
No, you're just trying to apply standards from your culture like an overlay here, where things are indeed different.

"I" don't say so. There are organizations in this country that apply standards to public broadcasts that deem what is considered nudity. I'm not saying that they are right, just that they exist. And they are DIFFERENT from the standards where you live.

The company has a policy in place to protect the corporation and their employees. It's the same thing as a restaurant carding every patron who orders alcohol even if they are obviously elderly. It prevents an employee from having to make a judgment call about who "looks" old enough to drink.

Photo Center Terms of Use - Walmart Photo Help - Walmart

And honestly, you ARE shaming; you're just being subtle about it. Here and in the "shower with dad" thread, your feigned innocence about this topic is only an attempt to position other posters as wrong for believing differently from you.

At any rate, the mom achieved her real purpose, which was to garner publicity for her latch-on event. C'est la vie!

Old 08-21-2015, 12:39 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,257,036 times
Quote:
No, you're just trying to apply standards from your culture like an overlay here, where things are indeed different.

"I" don't say so. There are organizations in this country that apply standards to public broadcasts that deem what is considered nudity. I'm not saying that they are right, just that they exist. And they are DIFFERENT from the standards where you live.

The company has a policy in place to protect the corporation and their employees. It's the same thing as a restaurant carding every patron who orders alcohol even if they are obviously elderly. It prevents an employee from having to make a judgment call about who "looks" old enough to drink.

Photo Center Terms of Use - Walmart Photo Help - Walmart

And honestly, you ARE shaming; you're just being subtle about it. Here and in the "shower with dad" thread, your feigned innocence about this topic is only an attempt to position other posters as wrong for believing differently from you.

At any rate, the mom achieved her real purpose, which was to garner publicity for her latch-on event. C'est la vie!
If you read the whole article you would see that actually Walmart's policy excludes breastfeeding from that as breastfeeding is not considered nudity, even in your culture. That's why there are laws protecting it in public. That's why facebook, finally, allows breastfeeding pictures. Because its not nudity, its a celebration of a beautiful moment of motherhood.

How is saying those photos are fine shaming but saying those photos are inappropriate not? If you are feeling shamed for shaming someone else then maybe that's telling you something.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
So she dresses in Cinderella pink and poses in front of a fountain for her breastfeeding memory keepsake photos.

I REALLY hope we get to see the potty training photos of Junior dressed like Prince Charming.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,734,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
A couple of those were a little much particularly the close up of the breast and areola. It's a judgement call. I don't really see a problem either way. Another store probably would have been happy to print them. Mom just needed something to fuss about.
I sometimes think people do this on purpose knowing full well Walmart (in this case) wont give them their way so they can have their 15mins of internet fame.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,395,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
So she has enough money to hire a professional photographer but is so cheap she goes to Wal-Mart for the prints?
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting