Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:44 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

A doctor has sparked a fair bit of outrage after being interviewed in an article on relationship website Your Tango.

UCLA professor Dr. Charlotte Reznick believes that it’s inappropriate for parents to kiss their kids on the mouth:

This Doctor Called Kissing Your Kids On the Mouth “Too Sexual.” Here’s What Parents Have to Say…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 07:45 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A doctor has sparked a fair bit of outrage after being interviewed in an article on relationship website Your Tango.

UCLA professor Dr. Charlotte Reznick believes that it’s inappropriate for parents to kiss their kids on the mouth:

This Doctor Called Kissing Your Kids On the Mouth “Too Sexual.” Here’s What Parents Have to Say…
I tend to agree, but I know many don't. As long as everyone is comfortable with it, it's up to the families.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times
I cann't relate to this subject because I have no children but I do think it's wrong for parents too kiss their children on the lips.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
It's not something we ever did in my family. As a kid, I thought it was weird when my friends' parents kissed them on the lips, and to be honest, I still kind of do. I certainly never kissed my own children on the mouth. But it might be taking it a bit too far to say it's "sexual." When I've seen parents and kids doing this, it is a pretty quick peck.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:23 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Its all context. Age plays a role, so does race and heritage. I kissed both my kids on the lips until 6 or so...then both moved to a cheek kiss...me following their example.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:30 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
I thought it was weird until I had my own kid and then it just came naturally to me. I expect she'll outgrow it in a few years (she's 4 now) although I know that some families continue lip-kisses even as the kids become adults. I think culture and what your own family did plays a huge part in whether it feels right for you or not. But its not sexual unless you make it so, in which case something is very wrong.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:56 AM

287 posts, read 327,232 times
My mother always kissed us kids on the forehead. She still does. I don't ever recall her kissing me on the lips or seeing her kiss my brother or sister on the lips.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:42 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,897,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Its all context. Age plays a role, so does race and heritage. I kissed both my kids on the lips until 6 or so...then both moved to a cheek kiss...me following their example.
Us, too, although I could probably say instead that my kids kissed me on the lips instead of me kissing them on the lips. Kids' mouths can be pretty gross and smelly.

Is it too sexual? probably not. It just doesn't seem necessary. IMHO a big hug goes a lot farther towards making another person feel good.

My parents were not affectionate at all, so I was free to create my own family culture. We are big on fierce hugs.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
My FIL used to kiss our kid's lips when they were babies. I just cringed. WE didn't even kiss them on the lips and still don't. When my 65 year old brother aims for my lips when we say goodbye, I turn my head. It's like, YUCK, don't kiss me on my lips. That's for my husband to do, thanks.

IMO, kissing on the lips is for romance, not for parents, other children, brothers, uncles, aunts, grandparent etc. IMO, I just find it weird and wonder why non-couples/romatic couples, kiss on the lips.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:55 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,427,685 times
I'm 45 years old and still plant a kiss on momma's lips, it's not like we are going about it passionately with a tongue thrown in for good measure!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting