Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I was a bit confused about this as well. We did not usually get to the trig functions until the end of the year when I taught geometry.
Maybe they're using a spiral method?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
What's with this emphasis on videos? Do things really need to be presented as television to be understandable by today's kids?

In the long run, it's probably a lot better to get a nice, cheap, used textbook. Amazon usually has some for just a few cents (plus shipping). I'd rather not contribute to a child's television/computer addiction while trying to teach something serious like math.

Plus, I don't like the idea that everything, including school, has to be entertaining. Most of the best things in life aren't fun at first, and I'd rather my kid learn to work for things when the payoff isn't immediate. Usually that will mean delving into a book instead of watching a movie.

After all, part of the point of school when you're young is to learn how to learn things, and the advanced stuff that you have to know to be successful in life is stuff that you can't find on YouTube. I've encountered college kids who were practically insulted when I didn't post my notes in video form; they were so used to learning from videos that they couldn't handle more complex material.
In practice, how is a video demonstration any different from a teacher standing at the front of the room, using the chalk n' talk approach? Personally, I think math is fun and exhilarating even in dry textbook form... but that's me, and most people do not share the same enthusiasm. If online tutorials make it less daunting for students, then I'm all for using whichever resources will get through to each particular child.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
What's with this emphasis on videos? Do things really need to be presented as television to be understandable by today's kids?

In the long run, it's probably a lot better to get a nice, cheap, used textbook. Amazon usually has some for just a few cents (plus shipping). I'd rather not contribute to a child's television/computer addiction while trying to teach something serious like math.

Plus, I don't like the idea that everything, including school, has to be entertaining. Most of the best things in life aren't fun at first, and I'd rather my kid learn to work for things when the payoff isn't immediate. Usually that will mean delving into a book instead of watching a movie.

After all, part of the point of school when you're young is to learn how to learn things, and the advanced stuff that you have to know to be successful in life is stuff that you can't find on YouTube. I've encountered college kids who were practically insulted when I didn't post my notes in video form; they were so used to learning from videos that they couldn't handle more complex material.

Khan academy is used by many school as a tutoring tool. It's not meant to be funny or entertainment. And why buy books for even a few pennies when you can get expert tutoring for free....MUCH more efficient than reading from a text book. I am one of those people who learn better when it's shown to me. Not reading from some old text book. When my son needs help I sit down with him and help him..I just don't throw him a text book. Not all parents can help their kids which is why video tutoring is an excellent idea.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
I'm glad they are carrying numbers at some point. With the common core for 3rd grade level math; they do not at this point. They are all about place grouping.
What do you think carrying is? It is grouping by 10s and 100s, etc.

I assume you mean they are doing this with manipulatives so that they understand the idea.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Khan academy is used by many school as a tutoring tool. It's not meant to be funny or entertainment. And why buy books for even a few pennies when you can get expert tutoring for free....MUCH more efficient than reading from a text book. I am one of those people who learn better when it's shown to me. Not reading from some old text book. When my son needs help I sit down with him and help him..I just don't throw him a text book. Not all parents can help their kids which is why video tutoring is an excellent idea.
You see the steps progress over time as with personal instruction in these videos. I dig it.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:26 AM

138 posts, read 173,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm impressed you made till 8th grade OP before your kid's homework stumped you.
I second this .

Quote:

I wish there were videos through all those years I struggled with math. I had to have tutors most of my school years and on through college. Expensive, to say the least - and never really made a difference.

Videos are great for several reasons.
- A student can replay particular sections over and over, as necessary.
- A student can replay them without feeling stupid or like s/he is wasting the tutor's/teacher's time.
- A student can learn the current "proper" way of doing math and not have to rely on parents' memories of how they did it when dinosaurs were still roaming the earth.
- Videos can be used when the parents are unavailable.
- They're free (at least Khan Academy is).

People learn different ways. A textbook may work for you, videos for someone else. Is it really important how they learn it, as long as they learn it?

Additionally to the OP - most teachers are supportive and usually have time set aside (or will set aside) for those who need extra help. They have to be aware that there are concerns first, otherwise they can't address the student's needs. Occasionally, there are teachers who are difficult to understand and/or don't connect with struggling students - that's when outside sources can be especially helpful.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:33 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imstumped View Post
I dont know if this is the right place to put this. I am new to the site.

I have an 8th grade daughter, and she brought home some geometry homework last night. We had to "use the law of cosines" to find some sides of a triangle. I don't know about you all but this was like 20 years ago for me and I have never used it. Compeltely forget it.

I dont have a lot of time that I can use to get caught up with learning geometry again. I work a lot and am not sure I could even understand it. I never got good grades in math.

My question is do any of you know website or an app that I could use for homework help for kids? Someone smarter than me can probably help my daughter and I learn way faster than me doing all the legwork.

Thanks in advance.
Khan academy

Old 09-26-2015, 08:42 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:

I am one of those people who learn best by reading a textbook. I am also aware that this is not the norm and there are many different learning styles. Some learn best via auditory or visual means. Others in other ways. But given that we know there are different types of learners bemoaning the existence of other media that help those learners seems self serving. At some point as a professional educator you have an obligation to meet other learning styles were logistically possible and pretending this about entertainment vs learning style is just plain old indefensible.

For my college classes I make videos of my lectures and provide a textbook as well as providing animations and models for other learners. I also provide links for kids to learn how to make their own videos. Many students who are auditory learners do very well to record themselves reading thier notes and listening to it over again. Rigidly sticking to teaching in the learning style you prefer just because you prefer it is archaic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting