Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 08:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times

Advertisements

When it comes to band instruments the teacher usually matches the kid's mouth ability/structure to the instrument, and tends to lead them accordingly. It is important from what I was told. My mouth structure (I was told) was not designed for clarinet or sax, and the neighbor kid wanted to take French horn, but was strongly urged to play flute, which she did, and did very well.

String instruments are typically "assigned" (actually chosen) according to the tonal range the student prefers. I never saw anybody switch from one string instrument to another, unlike the kids in the band which sometimes did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 10:17 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
I am biased as a guitar player, just wanted to get that out there first. Electric guitar, drums, bass, keys, something he can play in a band with when older. Most that play concert or orchestral instruments have little outlet to use that skill once the school days are over. I will also readily admit I was a shy, quiet kid and playing in a "rock band" broke a lot of ice for me during my younger high school and college days. Not only with the opposite sex, but like-minded musician friendships also.

I am all for learning concert or orchestral instruments as well, and that experience can build a great music theory foundation, but wanted to give a more lifelong musical perspective to the conversation.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:49 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
I've played almost every instrument in the band at different points throughout my life. I say it's fine to lead him to band for reasons you mentioned, but I would let him pick the instrument, if it's fine with the band director. I wanted a different instrument than I was allowed. I quickly moved on from the instrument I started with (and didn't want) to other instruments. If he likes the instrument he's chosen, he's more likely to play it and flourish in band. I have 3 kids. The tiniest kid (seriously looks several years younger than he is) plays trombone. He loves it and does not want to switch. After a year, the band director asked if he wanted to play a woodwind he thought might be easier for him. He really wanted to stick with the trombone. And the director thought that was fine. He'd rather have a child who enjoys the instrument he's chosen. I was a small kid who played tenor sax for years. I say let him choose, provided it's within your budget to rent the instrument he wants to play. It'll be fine.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:27 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
In my experience, if you force a child to play an instrument he or she doesn't like, they won't continue playing, won't practice, etc. Let him play what he wants. Maybe the band director will work him into the band even. Also, there is nothing to say that he can't play 2 instruments. Don't let his stature now determine what he can play. He will grow. Trombone is a good pick and usually a much needed instrument in any band. I also agree with others that have said that most band directors will "fit" and instrument to a child so it's a good idea to take that into consideration as well. Our oldest is a trombone player, his trombone in it's case was as tall as he was when he started. He had to use his foot to clean out his spit valve but he did just fine, was 1st chair all through his band career, etc.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:56 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Let him pick it himself. When my two Sons went into the 6th grade they came home and told us they were eligible now to start playing in the band and wanted to do it. When I asked what instrument they wanted to play, they said the saxophone . I tried to talk them out of it because my Dad was a musician and played Sax, and so did I in some groups in the 60's, and thought they were only doing it for me. But they insisted. We bought them two saxes and got them private lessons.

They stayed with it, turned professional at 18, and are now in their 40's and still play in two different bands. So, if I would have tried to talk them into a different instrument, their path could have been entirely different than it has been.

He may try one instrument first and then move to something else, but let him be the one who chooses.

Don

Old 10-11-2015, 07:19 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Let him pick the instrument. I was forced to play the clarinet and I still hate the sound of them.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:57 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Long time band geek here...you need to drop you expectation that your son will always have to be accommodated due to his stature. How will that work on his self esteem if he is always thinking he couldn't play the instrument he wanted because he was too small?

And did you know...instruments are made in smaller sizes to accommodate young learners. You are WAY overthinking this.

Let him pick.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Why not let him pick what he likes?

Old 10-11-2015, 08:57 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
well I can say from experience the violin is the nicest instrument alive . My daughter played , I play and my granddaughter (the oldest one ) plays . I used to play with the orchestra in my old home town and made some of the best friends and we still write to each other today . I think the violin is a very social and beautiful instrument and your son would benefit greatly from it . My grand daughter plays with her high school orchestra and her mama is so proud of her .So please allow him to play the violin if he wants too .

Old 10-11-2015, 09:42 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
You said he liked and wants to play the string instruments...so common sense says he should play the string instrument. Why is this even a thread??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting