Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I don't think you have to tell your child anything. It is your husband's responsibility to explain why he is not going.
While this is technically true, the lunch is today, and the mom will be the one who sees the kid when she shows up at school.

What a crappy situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
The school hosts a lunch for preK and K every year. The students sing a few songs and then have pizza with their families. It's not a moms club. It's not for moms who don't work (I work full time).

While k was in the shower, the two of them disagreed about something. Our son drew a picture and wrote "daddy I hate you". Obviously he doesn't hate his dad. And I've heard the I don't like you comments all the time. He's five. I tell him it's okay if he upset, I still love him. My husband can be moody and hold a grudge. Yes, he's being immature. All I'm asking if for a safe response for my kid that isn't a lie.

The truth isn't a lie and if you say anything "safe" it will be a lie.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:57 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
I know he's being an ass. His dad is dying, so I'm trying to be tolerant of his range of emotions right now. It's not right to take it out on his family, but sometimes people act like *******s during stressful times.

My son thinks he will be there. And I know he will ask when he sees me alone. The video is a great diversion. I think that will satisfy the little guy.
In which case "daddy is having a bad day" is entirely appropriate.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The truth isn't a lie and if you say anything "safe" it will be a lie.
A 5-year-old doesn't need to be drawn into the psychology of a self-centered, immature parent.

This problem is between the adults.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
A 5-year-old doesn't need to be drawn into the psychology of a self-centered, immature parent.

This problem is between the adults.
It appears the "adults" don't have a clue and think telling a lie or a half truth is just fine.
They also think it is appropriate to have a stand off with a year, how's that for "not" being drawn into the psychology of the situation? Do you really think the father's behavior is going unnoticed by this child?

Old 11-06-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It appears the "adults" don't have a clue and think telling a lie or a half truth is just fine.
They also think it is appropriate to have a stand off with a year, how's that for "not" being drawn into the psychology of the situation? Do you really think the father's behavior is going unnoticed by this child?
No, that's why I said the teen years will be hell. It's not going to be resolved today by saying, "Honey, you hurt Daddy's feelings when you said that, so now he's staying home because he's a baby but look, Momma's here because mommy loves you!!"

This is a bad dynamic that needs professional help.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:14 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Mountsins out of molehills. Tell him to man up and embrace fatherhood, pronto. If he doesn't he'll be the real loser in the future -- much more than the child.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:15 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
Quote:
I know he's being an ass. His dad is dying, so I'm trying to be tolerant of his range of emotions right now. It's not right to take it out on his family, but sometimes people act like *******s during stressful times.

My son thinks he will be there. And I know he will ask when he sees me alone. The video is a great diversion. I think that will satisfy the little guy.
Ahhhhh, that completely explains it. His dad is dying, he is overwhelmed with his feelings for his own dad, and when his son says something innocent like "I hate you dad!" it takes on an entirely new and unbearable meaning. He is feeling enormous pain, but he turns the pain into anger to make it easier to handle.

Does your son know that grandpa is sick? That's going to be the harder one to talk to. You might want to get a little kid book about understanding death pronto.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
My husband has decided to skip our son's parent lunch today. What do I tell our son when he asks why daddy isn't there? He is only five, so I don't want him to feel abandoned or unloved. What's the best route?
Why would you even consider bad-mouthing your husband?

He's 5. Just tell him Daddy had to work. Most parents have to work and can't make it to these things; it's not as if it's a pageant after school or something.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
The boys know he is sick and have seen him since he's been ill. (we also have a seven year old). The kids know he won't get better, but I'm not sure have much they understand death. No one close to them has passed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting