Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 06:25 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

It was not the norm where I raised my kids...I don't know about here yet. But in the southern city we lived in until now, no one ever ever opened gifts at the party and it was considered rude.

Once, when we were having a casual home (but large) party for my son (he was 3 or 4), I decided to let him open his gifts so he and the other kids could play with them. One mom had a major cow and stormed out with her kid, going to toys r us because now her son was insisting he get a gift too (and I gave out nice party favors too).

I'd be afraid to do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 06:29 AM

When I was a kid it was a big part of the birthday party. Games, cake, gifts. That was a party. I think not doing it is missing a great teaching moment for all kids involved (being a gracious gift giver/reciever). But I'm still scared to do it again. Besides the lady who had the cow, a few other parents seemed quite uncomfortable with my decision.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:15 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm flabbergasted. Why on earth would it be considered rude for the birthday child to open the gifts the friends gave him/her? Part of the fun of the birthday party is seeing the pleasure the kid gets from opening presents. Or did I miss this newest political correctness memo?

You swiped the letters right off my keyboard.

Now it's rude to open gifts at a party? Kids might be traumatized? The sky hasn't fallen yet since we were kids and presents of all sorts, sizes, and prices were given, and a good time was had by all. Sounds like yet another lost opportunity for kids to learn about the meaning of gifts and how a simple "thank you" is always appropriate.

We're turning kids into pansies in this country.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:42 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
I really don't understand this whole phenomenon. When I was a kid we ALWAYS opened the gifts at the party. As a party-attendee, it was my favorite part. I loved seeing the reaction to my gift and seeing what else the birthday person got. Now, it seems that no one opens up the gifts.

I can understand if the party is at some public place -- a bounce place or something, where it would be hard to keep track of the gifts, and they could get lost or something. But even when the party is at someone's home, no one opens them. I really don't understand the reasoning -- so what if people compare gifts? Teach them it's rude to say something while with the others. Kids have to learn to deal with stuff. People my age seem to have come through just fine, having seen people open birthday gifts.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:43 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Wow. All I can think is WTF?????? Her kid insisted on getting a gift? Uhh... How about "No. You're not getting a gift."
OMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It was not the norm where I raised my kids...I don't know about here yet. But in the southern city we lived in until now, no one ever ever opened gifts at the party and it was considered rude.

Once, when we were having a casual home (but large) party for my son (he was 3 or 4), I decided to let him open his gifts so he and the other kids could play with them. One mom had a major cow and stormed out with her kid, going to toys r us because now her son was insisting he get a gift too (and I gave out nice party favors too).

I'd be afraid to do it again.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:54 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
It's regional.

Personally I think it's rude not to open gifts at the party, but I go with what the standrad is where I'm living.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:06 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
... Part of the fun of the birthday party is seeing the pleasure the kid gets from opening presents. Or did I miss this newest political correctness memo?
I agree with you. I think part of giving is seeing the pleasure the person gets from getting the gift.
I am confused with this new wave going on now. I think I missed the memo too.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:09 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate34 View Post
I LOVE to wrap gifts, so I always wrap the gifts my child gets and/or gives.
I love wrapping too!

Old 11-07-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Wow. All I can think is WTF?????? Her kid insisted on getting a gift? Uhh... How about "No. You're not getting a gift."
OMG.
I considered just reminding her kid for her that it wasn't his birthday.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:15 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You swiped the letters right off my keyboard.

Now it's rude to open gifts at a party? Kids might be traumatized? The sky hasn't fallen yet since we were kids and presents of all sorts, sizes, and prices were given, and a good time was had by all. Sounds like yet another lost opportunity for kids to learn about the meaning of gifts and how a simple "thank you" is always appropriate.

We're turning kids into pansies in this country.
I have never heard that it's rude, never kids could be traumatized. It's not about turning kid's into pansies. It's about time management. Every parent I have asked because I was confused having seen it done both ways, has said its just about it taking too long. I learned this lesson the hard way at my son's last party. The place we rented only gave us two hours. I figured it was plenty of time. It's not. I found myself hurrying my son along so everyone could get back to swimming. Maybe I'm just cheap but it was expensive for only two hours and I wanted everyone to get as much fun in as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting