Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:21 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,328,732 times

Advertisements

People without children have referred to themselves as "childfree". But then I ask myself, is that an insult to those who do have children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 10:39 AM

912 posts, read 917,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
People without children have referred to themselves as "childfree". But then I ask myself, is that an insult to those who do have children?
Exactly.

Either way, no matter what you call it, stop being sissies. It is what it is. For the love of god.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:26 PM

318 posts, read 373,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I didn't do this but I'm not going to judge. Having being a parent usually lends people much needed clarity and perspective. When I had babies I was tired and :gasp: may have done things that gave me a bit of a break from them. Maybe mom needed a few minutes peace and quiet. As long as she was aware of the baby's well being I couldn't care less. As a parent, I understand such actions.
Seeing as you are the second person to point to this, seems I am overly paranoid in a baby fed this way out of view of the guardian. My mother had 5 of us, so I trusted her as she was the one who told me "never, ever do that if you're not watching and busy with something else. a baby can aspirate milk without being noticed". She likened it to how quiet and subtle choking and drowning can be. and yeah, she was called overprotective (for other reasons) by some of her friends, our friends parents. Looking back, some of that I am thankful she did her best to keep us safe, other times she did worry too much and we missed out on some fun. She didn't try to go completely insane and bubblewrap the planet though.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,835,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think pointing out a person who works with children and doesn't have their own, there by undermining their ability to assess a situation or offer suggestions is an insult.
I agree with this. I have also judged people who have no children, work with children, and make sketchy decisions. For example my daughter volunteers at the Y and the person who runs the program does things like serve the toddlers chili and raw carrots (choking hazard). I wondered aloud if she was childless Sometimes when people work with kids, but don't have kids of their own, they don't always "get" stuff, for example, that toddlers don't eat chili

So yeah, it can be used as an insult, but if it's the truth....

Old 12-06-2015, 02:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I agree with this. I have also judged people who have no children, work with children, and make sketchy decisions. For example my daughter volunteers at the Y and the person who runs the program does things like serve the toddlers chili and raw carrots (choking hazard). I wondered aloud if she was childless Sometimes when people work with kids, but don't have kids of their own, they don't always "get" stuff, for example, that toddlers don't eat chili

Chili depends on the toddler. Toddlers may or may not like spicy foods and it may not be a good idea in large quantities, but seriously it depends on what the family eats. It also depends on the age of the toddler.

Q&A: Can toddlers eat chilli?

Quote:
A toddler can eat chilli and spicy foods, although they may have a more sensitive palate than adults and choose not to. It may be best to wait until your child is at least 12 months old before you include curry, chilli, pepper, or other strong flavours in their diet. Children younger than one are still getting used to solid foods and basic flavours and can be prone to food reactions and sensitivities.
As for raw veggies, usually if a toddler has their molars and you watch them carefully, these are fine, but the American academy of pediatrics generally suggests these foods should not be eaten until after 4 years old.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post

Well, I am a mother of two, grandmother of one (plus I have a masters degree in early childhood development & 30 plus years of teaching experience with young children) until I read your post it never even occurred to me that "toddlers don't eat chili". Quess what? My children ate chili (not hot chili peppers but the hot dish/soup called "chili") when they were toddlers, in fact it was one of their favorite meals. I should admit that my chili is/was not very spicy but it never occurred to me that toddlers should not be allowed to eat chili.

BTW, I agree that raw carrots may be a chocking hazard.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:48 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,344,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Exactly.

Either way, no matter what you call it, stop being sissies. It is what it is. For the love of god.

This obsession with self and labels is really getting out of hand.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:51 PM

912 posts, read 917,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

This obsession with self and labels is really getting out of hand.
Why does C-D limit my repping you again? I agree 100%.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:58 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,607,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
A local paper occasionally runs a column titled "Ask the Teacher" in which people write in school- and education-related questions. Naturally these are usually from parents asking about topics which impact their children. Today a parent wrote in to complain that a teacher "with no children of her own" criticized her parenting of her twins. She added, "I am furious that a childless woman would criticize someone for being a mother."

The columnist's response lambasted this parent: "I was wondering if you saw your words in print if you might be able to see how unkind you are being in your reaction. You call this person 'childless.' That is quite an insult. ...It sounds like you are calling her names because you feel attacked."

The response said nothing about whether what the teacher said was or was not appropriate. I'm not too surprised at that because this columnist tends to side with teachers in almost all circumstances. What baffled me was the statement that calling someone "childless" is an insult. It may not always be the most tactful thing to say, especially directly to someone, but in reporting a situation to a third person, is this really a non-PC word? Please enlighten me.
The word itself, strictly speaking, is accurate, but it is often said as a derogatory term and implies something wrong with it. Most people say "they don't have kids," rather than "they're childless."

Old 12-06-2015, 09:48 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,668,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Did you know that statistically, the mothers are most often the perpetrators in cases of infanticide?

You personally may not have been capable of such deep love before becoming a mother, and this may be the experience of many other women as well, but that does not really support a statement that broad, nor the cavalier dismissal of basically every man's everywhere's capacity for love.
I'm not even going to address your infanticide statement... However barring some mental defect/disorder that would render a woman incapable of loving her own child...I stand by my original statement...I am the best expert on my child and earned my advanced degree at MOM University...until you are a mother you just won't get what I am saying...I don't care if you raised 100 brothers and sisters it's not the same...you can have a vast knowledge of the care giving aspects... but the emotional bond towards a child that is present in a mother/child relationship...is a depth of feeling you can only truly experience firsthand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting