Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:59 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times

Advertisements

To the OP: if your child is not growing appropriately on his own curve parallel to the growth chart, you are right to be concerned. I will never forget the 12 yr old boy who was being admitted for anorexia ( because of an 18 month history of weight loss). The chief resident asked radiology to take one last look at some old studies of his gastrointestinal tract at X-ray rounds. The radiologist threw the films up, started to read them again, got a funny look on her face, took them down, and dismissed X-ray rounds. Turned out his study had been misread months beforehand. He had crohn's disease, not anorexia nervosa. And it was only caught because he was new to the chief resident, who asked a new radiologist to read the films, just to be thorough.

My point is, if you are concerned, and he is having mucusy diarrhea, see a pediatric gastroenterologist. If he is not growing appropriately, see a pediatric endocrinologist. Don't let internet busybodies (myself included) lull you into a false sense of security with anecdotes. Unless it's constitutional growth delay, which has a recognizable pattern, then it is NOT normal to steadily drop channels on the growth chart, especially in a child with frequent mucusy loose stools. You are right to be concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Hmm, seems you have chosen the wrong screen name. Tonya Harding would better suit your confrontational, verbal "kneecapping" attack style.
Hey! I'm a former East German communist!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:12 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
If he has been growing steadily at 25 th % for a few years at this point, and not dropping down off the chart, then he is probably fine. If he has late puberty, he will wind up taller than 25th %.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:46 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
It sounds like a malabsorption issue of some kind...have you considered seeing a naturopath?

Conventional medicine doesn't believe in things like lack of digestive enzymes, but imo it may be worth a shot. You can buy some at a natural food store and take with food, and also a good quality probiotic daily.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
It sounds like a malabsorption issue of some kind...have you considered seeing a naturopath?

Conventional medicine doesn't believe in things like lack of digestive enzymes, but imo it may be worth a shot. You can buy some at a natural food store and take with food, and also a good quality probiotic daily.
OP, PLEASE see your doctor first before trying this!

Old 01-30-2016, 01:40 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
My sister was born 1 month premature and weighed 5 lbs. She was always the smallest in her class. Going into 5th grade she was the shortest, coming out of 5th grade she was the TALLEST in her class, male or female, at 5'2". She never grew another inch. My parents were both short, mom was 5'1" or 5'2", dad was 5'4". My brothers are 5'10", and one of them has a son who's 6'5". The son of the 6'5" son is 6'4" in 9th grade and still growing.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:06 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
My son was super short at birth and through 8th grade or so (within the shortest few kids in class). He shot up a bit and is now 5'8 as a 10th grader and he's not doing growing.

I was always the 3rd shortest kid in the class until 7th grade where I shot up to 5'8 (and there I stayed, but as a woman that's decently tall).

One boy in my class was always super short through high school (by 12th grade, he was just over 5 foot). I saw him after his first few years of college, and he was then 6'.

I just saw your post above mine. That sounds like my 2nd son. He was 9lb 9oz at birth and fairly long. By 1 yr, he had completely dropped off the growth chart at under 17lb. He inched his way back on (barely) by 2 yr. We had him tested for celiac twice (screening bloodwork) and both times was negative. We tested him for other things as well. No problems.

He's now almost 14. He's still super skinny and small- about 85 lb and just a little over 5'. His sister, who is 12, is 5'6 and weighs a good 40 lb more than he does. He's always been pale, has had GI issues, and also looks like dark circles. Eats a lot, great energy, perfectly fine physically. He sees a doctor regularly and no problems. He did have a few allergies (peanuts, strawberries) as a child, but he has since outgrown them.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:38 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Something is definitely wrong with you son given the symptoms. It is not wrong to continue to search for what it is.

There are poop tests that will allow them to look for parasites, beneficial bacteria, bad bacteria, yeast growth, fungus and probably a whole host of things. It isn't invasive or painful. Basically it is a take home kit where you poop on a plate and then scoop it into a couple of different vials. I found a holistic medical Dr. who does both eastern and western medicine (MD). He was the one who was familiar with these sorts of tests. Look for someone who specializes in digestive issues.

He can then tell you what digestive enzymes or other items to take to counteract whatever is going on and help heal his gut.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:59 PM

13 posts, read 11,960 times
Default Take him to a Naturopathic Physician

He has significant gut issues and this can lead to major problems down the road. Naturopaths are uniquely trained to manage this type of case. In California, Naturopathic Physicians are licensed by the state as primary care physicians and are even covered by some insurances. You can go to naturpathic.org to find one in your area. My son is tall (46") but very lean (38 lbs)...he's got an 8-pack of abs at 4 years old. His pediatrician cracked me at his 4 year check up because he had grown 5.5 inches but only gained 3 lbs in a year's time. Whatever- he eats healthy (I've still got him convinced raisins are candy but I can see my days on this are numbered) and is more than active so I' don't worry about it. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2016, 05:34 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
It is most often genetic and knowing growth history of immediate family that will help you understand his growth rate. Both my brother and I were slow growers and if judging by peers (growth percentile) we would likely have been in lower quarter. Both of us always looked about two grades younger (physically) than our peers. Our family has slow maturation rate (late puberty) typology.
I generally was average to slightly below average in height and extremely skinny.

5'2 95 - 13
5'4 100 - 14
5'7 108 -15
5'9 115 - 16
5'11 130 - 17
6'1 145 -18
As a mature adult 6'2 180-185
I would focus more on ensuring your son is eating healthy and is active. I would only check with medics if there seems to be a corollary of poor motor / musculature control (labored walking / excessive foot dragging) / posture (inability to stand erect / i.e. other indicators that the natural growth progression is being hindered/ altered by something else.

Otherwise, you can simply enjoy the process and note which side genetically he takes after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting