Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:00 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times

Advertisements

You're losing your place to live in a few months anyway. I would probably go for the better life for both of you and make the most of it. Use your time wisely. Get a job and then since you won't be physically caring for your child, get a second part-time job to save up some extra money. Live frugally and don't spend your money on unnecessary stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 10:47 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Wow, you're incredibly mature for 25 and kudos. I agree that you need to move to Florida and you're very fortunate to have that kind of family support.

I've know Indians that have sent their babies and young children to India to be raised by the grandparents while they get on their feet here. Is that wrong? For one individual it may be, for another it's not. One size does not fit all.

Do what you have to do to survive and better yourself dear one. Don't beat yourself up over your past mistakes. I know you have regrets about some of your decisions, and they really don't matter anymore unless you haven't learned from those mistakes.

You have a lot on your plate at such a young age and I admire you for handling it and not walking away like so many people do. Keep your eye on the prize and all those wonderful adventures you will have with your daughter in Florida when she comes to see you. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:27 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
I would go to Florida with the goal of becoming more financially stable and saving money for your and your daughter's future. Someday, she may need to rely on you and you will be in a better position to help her throughout the rest of her life if needed. We need money to survive in this world, and your success means she will have someone in this world who can help her just as your family is doing for you. That means a lot to have a parent who is stable and has resources. I think you will be amazed that between phone calls, FaceTime, holidays, summer breaks, and quick trips to see her that you can keep a very strong connection and relationship going. As you make money, you can grab cheap flights for quick weekend trips.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:53 PM

619 posts, read 575,514 times
you kind of dont' have much choice, if your mom is moving in a few months anyway.

Please - take this time away from your daughter to get ahead. work hard, save money, get additional training so you can make a living. stay in constant touch with her - through skype, so she can see you and hear your voice. send her letters and cards and photos. don't forget her birthdays and holidays.

in a few years time, she wil be old enough to fly as an unaccompanied minor and it will make things a bit easier.

Good luck. you sound like a good father who cares about his child (unfortunately not every father is like this). But do make sure to use this time wisely.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
One more thing to keep in mind, FL offers the Bright Futures college scholarship, which may be one of the best gifts you can ever offer your daughter. You have years to work out the custody to take advantage of it, but don't discount the benefit of having it.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:23 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
I think you should go.

There are cheap flights from FL to the northeast. Check this out and how much it would cost you if you have to rent a car and/or stay in a hotel with your daughter. Make saving for a few trips in between summer and holidays a part of your budget.

If your grandfather is good with money, then listen and learn from him so you can get yourself to a place of financial stability as soon as possible.

Stay on good terms with your daughters mother so she continues to support this custody arrangement. Even if that means sweetening the child support pot with extra $$ sometimes it will be worth it in the long run.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:41 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
If you share custody with your mother, and she's moving to Florida in May, then why are you asking this question?

Old 02-06-2016, 04:43 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Nope.

I wouldn't leave my kid.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:13 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,718 times
You're neither wrong nor a bad parent if you have to move out of state for a better opportunity. You pay your child support, keep in contact with your daughter as much as you can, and see her when you can. Move and see how it goes. You might find out that being away from her is unbearable and if it is, you do what you can to move back.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
You said you are assured a job making $17/hr...in Florida that is a live able wage...I would go get situated and be ready to have your daughter for the whole summer!!! With a bit of effort you should be able to fly up to see her throughout the entire year...in the mean time will your mother still get to see your daughter in Maryland (until she moves)? To continue to see her grandmother I'm sure would make this transition easier on your child...hope it all works out for the best!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting