Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 07:16 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Father's Day is this weekend but as we celebrate we must not forget the millions of children who are growing up without a dad in the home.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/america-crisis-fathers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 07:51 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Sadly, this is the reality for many. And it has devastating impacts on communities throughout the country. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:04 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Families can survive without the dad, but it sure makes for a better home life with two supportive parents, especially when both are a good role model.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:52 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Father?

Are you referring a non-birthing parent?

Old 07-09-2022, 07:50 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,905 times
*reaches for popcorn*

Old 07-14-2022, 03:44 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Families can survive without the dad, but it sure makes for a better home life with two supportive parents, especially when both are a good role model.
I think families can also survive without a mother.. many do. I think both roles are equally important to the development of a child. They may not live together anymore but a mother and father involved in the child's live is important. I don't think it has to be the actual biological parents (either side) but simply someone to take on that role in their lives.

Quite a few of my friends are single mothers (and 1 single father). It is very difficult to go alone. In some cases for some reason or another, the one with primary custody doesn't make it easy for the other parent to remain involved.... the kids are often pawns in the divorce game unfortunately. One of my friends does this to her Ex.... I've made it known as a father that I don't like what she is doing but that's her business. It rubs me the wrong way since I'm in a similar situation. Fortunately, my ex and I are amicable and both have common goals for our children... We now live together co-parenting and the kids are happy.

One of my closest friends has a royal mess of a household... lots of problems. Her toddler grandchild is without a father. I am almost over every weekend; often with my own children to spend time with her. She is like the daughter I never had. My friend has mentioned many times how that has made a world of difference.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 7,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Father's Day is this weekend but as we celebrate we must not forget the millions of children who are growing up without a dad in the home.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/america-crisis-fathers

"...that nearly 18.5 million children grow up without their fathers..." wow,,, that's gotta be what? like 28% of total kids in America? that's a huge number, more than 1 in 4. Damn, I wish there was a quick way to solve this

Old 07-22-2022, 08:15 PM

982 posts, read 539,238 times
This is not news. The U.S. has been leading the world in ttyshi parenting for decades. And we wonder why all the other developed nations children score higher on standardized tests, particularly in math.

Old 07-26-2022, 04:41 PM

613 posts, read 1,016,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
This is not news. The U.S. has been leading the world in ttyshi parenting for decades. And we wonder why all the other developed nations children score higher on standardized tests, particularly in math.
I saw what you did. Couldn't agree more.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:38 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,374 times
I've spent some time thinking about this, and I believe the people who really suffer in one-parent households are the single parents themselves. Kids are incredibly resilient and can and do thrive in a variety of family settings. My father was raised by a single mother after his father died during WWII, but my grandmother had a very large number of extended family members who chipped in to help her, and she was able to go to college and forge a career while my father was surrounded by the love and attention he needed to grow into a healthy, accomplished man. Today, we have much smaller families, so that kind of help is in short supply, and single parents struggle to do it all themselves.

Last edited by kj1065; 07-29-2022 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting