Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 05:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

It's that time of year again, and my little nephew is turning 3 this year. I'm not a parent and am pretty clueless about what kids like, and since my fellow C-D parents have been so helpful with me making a decision in the past, I am calling on your help again to find a present for him. He has a 9 year old big brother he is very close to, so any toy that they can both play with would be helpful. I would prefer something around $30 or less. He has autistic tendencies and is fascinated with anything that lights up or makes repetitive noises. Another good direction to go would be a toy that is educational, because his speech is delayed. There are zillions of toys out there and I am overwhelmed with options. Last year I got him Moxx Bloxx, and they were a big hit. Suggestions appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
A sand or water table might be a big hit.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-G...ge%3A165890011

Old 05-11-2016, 08:19 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
OP once I found a gift from below link. That kid was same as your nephew Check it may be you get more ideas what fits in your budget.

Cause and Effect Toys: National Autism Resources

Old 05-11-2016, 08:21 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
I would go with a musical instrument to help with hand-eye coordination. Something small, not a huge drum set. This one also lights up.
VTech KidiBeats Drum Set | ToysRUs

Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's that time of year again, and my little nephew is turning 3 this year. I'm not a parent and am pretty clueless about what kids like, and since my fellow C-D parents have been so helpful with me making a decision in the past, I am calling on your help again to find a present for him. He has a 9 year old big brother he is very close to, so any toy that they can both play with would be helpful. I would prefer something around $30 or less. He has autistic tendencies and is fascinated with anything that lights up or makes repetitive noises. Another good direction to go would be a toy that is educational, because his speech is delayed. There are zillions of toys out there and I am overwhelmed with options. Last year I got him Moxx Bloxx, and they were a big hit. Suggestions appreciated!
What did his parents suggest he might like?

Old 05-11-2016, 02:40 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,428 times
Sometimes it's nice (for parents!) to get a break from the toygifts and receive things like:
practical gifts (new fun sheets, pillowcases, towels, back pack, umbrella... all with favorite characters of course!)
or
gift certificates / experiences (does he like going to the movies? bounce houses? out for ice cream? There are many opportunities for these in your price range on groupon!)

Old 05-11-2016, 09:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Give him a day with YOU! Then you get to take him to an outing...children's museum, zoo, park, playground, etc. Bake cookies, play! He gets to know you, and you get to know him. As a bonus, his parents get a day free too.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 1,481 times
All this gifts are really nice.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:36 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Books about trucks or animals....big picture books for nightime. Our boys at that age loved them as we practiced words, phrases at that age.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Give him a day with YOU! Then you get to take him to an outing...children's museum, zoo, park, playground, etc. Bake cookies, play! He gets to know you, and you get to know him. As a bonus, his parents get a day free too.
Although that might be good for some children, he's not good with people other than his parents. I don't know if it's his autistic tendencies or what, but he's just recently gotten to the point where he doesn't scream for hours with the babysitter I live far from my sister (150 miles away), so visits have to be carefully planned. As for my sister's suggestions, I like to get him a gift other than what she suggests, because the duplicate gift thing has been a problem with the parents of the little boys from his church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting