Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

I have no clue why he's not teaching his son to work on cars, but I bet he could answer your question. Why don't you ask him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 02:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
My parents never worked on their cars. I used to change tires for them when I was a kid...somehow they taught me something that they weren't really willing to do themselves.

As an adult, I do everything that I can to our vehicles. I can't work on the transmission or the AC but I can do the brakes, replace an alternator, starter, water pump, belt, stuff like that. My kids are 11 and 14 and I haven't taught them to do anything to a vehicle yet. They ride bicycles, so they've learned to change a bike tire and adjust their brakes and to keep the bike chain lubed. When they start learning to drive, I'll teach them to change a tire...but I'll also point out that it's not very safe to change a tire on a lot of the highways here and they might be better off calling roadside assistance. I'll teach them other car stuff as it comes up, assuming it's not too dangerous for them and I'm not in a huge hurry to get it done. Sometimes I just need to get something done as fast as possible and it's more time consuming to teach someone.

I don't change my own oil because it's not cost effective. I can always find an oil change for $20.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:24 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
Good point, oil isn't the best example. Yea there is a lot of expense in tools and the stirage of them. Im just wondering though, if a father has all of that and the knowledge why not pass it on. That can go for anything really, fishing, hunting....... I have made a lot of side money working on cars when I havent had a job or just needed the money, if it was not for my dad I probably wouldn't have that opportunity. I have even taight friends how to work on cars using my tools while they slowly build on their own tool set.
I do think certain car maintenance issues should be taught along with driving lessons, such as changing a tire, or checking the oil. But just like I know my kids can cook enough not to starve, and can iron a dress shirt if needed, they still may use take-out and dry cleaners.

We can teach, it's up to them whether or not to employ the lessons.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:27 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I do all my own work... and have rebuilt engines in the garage and painted cars.

My niece when young always wanted to help... she even asked for a cordless drill one year for Christmas which I got her.

Smart as a whip and very good at understanding things...

This all came to an end when my brother said he doesn't intend for his daughter to be a mechanic and that was the that... I've had small projects come up where I paid her... she is very conscientious... no more of that as I was told she has a job... get good grades in school and sports.

I totally restored his Mustang years ago... he only paid for parts... owned it 25 years and sold it for big money to someone in New Zealand...

My Nephew has one of those gas buggys that is always broken down... sad because sometimes it is simple as a flat tire...

Old 06-07-2016, 04:49 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,039 times
Quote:
Looking back now that I am older I am greatfull my dad taught me how to do stuff on cars and was there when I started fixing more advanced stuff on my first few crappy cars. I couldn't imagine how much money it would have cost me to have other ppl do work on my cars nor could I have afforded it. Now there isnt much on a car I haven't or couldn't do and when ppl are in a bind I can offer my help, sometimes for free.

I look at my sisters boyfriend that can't even change a tire or use a chian saw and wonder why his father never taught him some of the most essential components of being and adult. I could see if his father didn't do car work or anything like that but he does and not teaching his son how to has really hurt his son financially when he has to take his car in for very basic stuff.

I just don't see why more fathers don't step in to teach their kids the skills that they have so their kid can eventually pass it onto his own child.
Great topic! My dad was far too self-involved to take the time to teach me anything. But I had something even better- my grandfather (his father, and polar opposite)! My grandpa (Pop) was a mechanic until his late 40s when he suffered his 2nd heart attack. The doctor told him he had to find a much less physically demanding career, so he started buying cars at auction with minor problems, fixing them, then reselling them on his used car lot. He was very successful doing this for the last 25 years of his life. I was born a few years after he started the used car repair/sales business and, from the time I could walk, I spent as much time with him under the hood or under a car as I possibly could. I rode the bus to his car lot every day and went to work with him every Saturday between the ages of 7 and 13.

Thanks to him, I performed all the maintenance (changing the oil, coolant and manual transmission fluid...or gear oil, actually), changing spark plugs, air filters and we even tackled the timing belt and water pump on my '93 Honda Civic and saved me at least $400! He also taught me how to change a thermostat, brake pads (or shoes in many cases, this was during the early-mid 80s) and numerous other minor repairs that would cost hundreds of dollars at a mechanic and even more at a dealership!

He died in 1998 when I was 23. But he taught me to think like a mechanic and it has paid off many times! In 1999, a year after he died, I was driving on the freeway in my '96 Honda Accord and the Oil Pressure light came on! Without having to think, I shifted into neutral and worked my way over to the shoulder immediately, then killed the engine when I slowed to about 30mph and felt I could safely stop the car without power brakes. The cam seal had failed and sprayed oil all over the engine compartment and next to none was left in the engine. I was 10k miles out of warranty, but the Honda dealer fixed it anyway. The Service Manager told me that I wouldn't have an engine to repair if I hadn't taken immediate action.

In 2010, I was on the freeway going about 75mph and suddenly heard a horrible squealing noise coming from the engine compartment. A few seconds later, the vents stopped blowing cold air and I knew something was wrong with the A/C compressor. I got out, called my local mechanic and lifetime friend and told him what happened. He told me to cut the A/C belt and bring the car to him. The A/C compressor was intermittently locking up, but hadn't completely done so. If it had locked down, it would have been like a grenade to the entire A/C system and required the replacement of almost every component, not just the compressor. I spent $185 on a used compressor, including the $50 I had to fight him to accept for his labor, but a total failure would have cost at least $1300-$1500! Again, the things that Pop taught me saved me a lot of money and hassle.

I don't think anyone should force a kid to work on cars if he (or she) doesn't want to. But fostering an appreciation and interest in a child who is interested can start from a young age. I have photos of being under a truck with my Pop when I was barely 3yrs old, but I don't remember actually doing it until I was 6yrs old. Some of the greatest memories of my life, and moments when I knew how much I was loved, were spent under the hood of a car or truck with my Pop!

But there will be some kids who just won't be interested in learning and you can't force them to enjoy something, no matter how badly you want it! But there are far too many boys, in particular, that don't learn things that I consider essential (or very important) skills for life. The combination of my Pop and the Boy Scouts (though I despise many of their rules and policies and don't endorse them for any kid) taught me how to do a lot of things that made me self-reliant and, at times, very resourceful. It also taught me to evaluate a situation very quickly and take immediate action in a crisis in all aspects of life, not just mechanics.

My nephew will turn 17 in four months. He has a learner's permit but has been behind the wheel three times and has no interest in getting his license any time soon. Even though my sister bought a new car and he has a 2008 Grand Cherokee in perfect condition sitting in the garage waiting for him. he has no interest. I don't understand that??? I turned 16 just over 25 years ago and it was a rite of passage to go to the State Patrol Office in my county and wait for hours in line on your 16th birthday to take your driver's test and get your license! I even took my driving test with a manual transmission, which was very common back in 1991. My sister borrowed my Mazda3 for a few weeks when her old car died several years ago and it was the first time my nephew and his best friend had ever seen a car with a manual. They were fascinated that my sister (44) could drive it.....

And my brother-in-law doesn't know how to change a tire, so I'll be the one to teach my nephew. If he ever decides to actually drive, that is! =)

Old 06-07-2016, 06:58 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I do think certain car maintenance issues should be taught along with driving lessons, such as changing a tire, or checking the oil.

There are some basics that everyone should at least know the idea of.

Changing a tire, jump-starting a car, checking the oil, how to fill up the washer fluid. I realize not everyone can do these sorts of things, but at least you know how and can decide for yourself if it's something in your scope of ability.

There are also other things that kids should learn, like doing laundry, how to clean, how to do the dishes, how to cook, etc etc. Let's not get carried away thinking boys should only do "boy" tasks.

While I may spend a lot of time in the garage rebuilding engines, it's certainly not beneath me to come in the house, clean up, and then do a load of laundry and load the dishwasher while making the kids some food.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Just to make it clear, I am wondering why a father would not teach their kid how to do somthing such as working on cars when the father does know how to do it and does work on his own car. im also wondering at what age you taught your kid to work on cars if you do work on them your self. No where did I say why don't people that don't work on cars not teach their kid how to work on cars. Sorry if that point was lost in my first post.
My father is a mechanic by trade and I do not know how to do anything.

I had zero interest in cars and did not get my license until over the age of twenty-five. I still do not care for cars and I will walk everywhere possible.

And my father has no where to show me how to do anything---we live in the city, we park on the street, we do not have garages, we do not have driveways, etc. He does not have a lot of this stuff at home---at work, sure, but not at home. We work completely opposite schedules and he can barely work as it is---he most definitely does not want to do so on his days off.

There are a lot of things people COULD learn to do but do not. And remember, many people make more than $30/hour, which if it costs someone less than that to do an oil change, then why bother? (Just a different mentality.)

Old 06-07-2016, 07:42 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
30-40 yrs ago nearly everyone changed their own family cars' oil

and most fathers/guys were pretty "handy" from building a deck to cleaning the boiler
my father is that way can fix most anything back then

today looking at a cars engine is almost looking at a computers hard drive sensors everywhere-
the engines today are 50x more complicated than years ago -

different world back then too- usually a one income house the wife - was the mother and took care of the cooking laundry and shopping...

in the late 70's and 80's most of the women went to college or worked outside of the house, two incomes coming in and convenience came into play- going to prompt to get an oil change- eating more convenient foods/going out to eat more and the man/husband had a higher expectation of helping the wife/mother with domestic duties because she worked too ....
so, on your Saturday or sunday off from working all week, did you want to work on your car or spend time with your kids- who have been at daycare all week??

different world back then,,,,who would have thought water was the number one consumed beverage and people are paying billions for it???????
no one bought water in the 70's just saying different generations, different priorities,,,

I think its a good idea for every guy/gal to learn how to change a tire with confidence or change their own oil
today they have youtube,,, - I changed a few parts on my car engines just by following the guy on a youtube video

when I grew up ,,it was expected good grades and chores after school and work work work ....which was good overall kept us out of mischief, and learned a good work ethic..
however I missed out on many recreation events and parties because of work work work (father was a fisherman, and grandfather a farmer)

so when I had my son,,,, nope I allowed him to be a kid and enjoy it,,,played school sports and enkoyed those
I showed him how to change a tire and oil,,,,but he will use an oil changing service to do this
he just graduated as a pharmacist,,,,he will start making over 50.00 hr so he can afford a newer vehicle with little maintenance and knowing how to change a starter or oil ...wont matter much to him at all

my first vehicles were junkers so I learned a lot trying to fix them,,,,, this doesn't happen as much with the younger generations

Old 06-07-2016, 08:37 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Lots of arguments for and against learning how to do maintenance on cars, and easily extended to being handy in general.

Personally, I lament that more people today do not know how to fix things themselves. I don't buy the "my time is too valuable" argument in regards to changing the oil, or fixing various things around the house. I make more than most people, but I can't fathom paying someone to fix something that I can do myself. It may take me a little longer, because I've got a full time job and other responsibilities, but in the end my work will be as good as or better than the job I could have paid someone else to do.

Case in point, my home recently had a water line burst. It happened at night, and water flooded the bathroom, spilled out into the hallway, guest bedroom, down into the family room, main closet under the stairs, and my office. It ruined all the baseboards and trim everywhere it went, carpet, and the bathroom vanity.

Long story short, the damage was over $30k, and our insurance company cut us a check for that amount. Now, I could have paid someone to fix all of it... but I have a miter saw. I found the baseboards/trim I needed (buying direct saved me thousands right there) cut it all myself, and installed it all. Installed a new vanity myself as well. I only had carpet guys come install new carpet.

I ended up pocketing about $20k, which is 10% of my gross income. That's more than most people make, and it was definitely worth it to me to repair things myself.

I can say with certainty, that people who can fix things themselves are generally better off financially than those who can't in my experience. I can easily say I've saved $100k+ over my lifetime of doing repairs on things rather than paying someone else.

My advice to anyone raising a child would be to teach them the basics on how to fix things... because someday, they may have no choice or can't afford to pay someone to do it.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:15 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
today looking at a cars engine is almost looking at a computers hard drive sensors everywhere-
the engines today are 50x more complicated than years ago -

No they aren't. It's just perceived that they are more difficult due to the number of wires and plastic shrouding in the newer engine bays. Truth is most of the vehicle maintanence needed by a brand new 2016 automobile can still be done at home, in your garage, with basic handtools. Changing power steering fluid, or bleeding the brakes, or changing differential fluid or engine oil or spark plugs is still done the same way it was 30 years ago. Brakes haven't changed designs in decades. Engine's still have the same basic geometry as they did 30-40 years ago. They just cover them up with more plastic these days.

You can download a $5 app on your smart phone, a $5 wifi dongle off ebay, and access the computer to read codes and see sensor readings.

It's only more complicated if you don't understand how they work. Once you have an understanding, I'd almost venture to say vehicle care these days is easier than 20-30 years ago. At least that's how I perceive it.

EDIT: Don't misunderstand my post as to imply everyone should still work on their own cars. Not the point I was trying to make.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 06-07-2016 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting