Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

This is so sad. Would this ever happen in a licensed daycare? What kind of training or testing does a provider have to undergo to be licensed?

Babysitter Charged With Infant's Murder After Fatal Dose of Benadryl - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 08:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
That's so sad

Old 06-05-2016, 09:04 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Could it happen in a licensed daycare? Sure it could. Bring licensed doesn't make daycare providers immune from making stupid mistakes. It's a terrible tragedy that the baby died. Unfortunately parents are caught between a rock and a hard place. Quality daycare is expensive, so they often seek the cheapest daycare they can find, and those providers are sometimes neglectful and abusive. How awful for the parents.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Would this ever happen in a licensed daycare?
Sure. Unfortunately, a license is not a force field against evil. There have been numerous cases of infants being physically abused in licensed day cares, including this one in April:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...d7d_story.html

The Benadryl incident reminds me of this contentious thread a couple of months ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...dramamine.html

Old 06-06-2016, 06:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is so sad. Would this ever happen in a licensed daycare? What kind of training or testing does a provider have to undergo to be licensed?

Babysitter Charged With Infant's Murder After Fatal Dose of Benadryl - ABC News
I was a licensed child care provider. I went through zero testing in my state.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:16 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I did licensed family (in home) daycare about 16 years ago.

I had to be certified in 1st aid and CPR (including infant CPR). I had to have a daily schedule, get a physical, have letters of recommendation as to my mental soundness, commit to continuing education every year, have my home inspected for safety and also by the fire department for specific fire code violations. I also had to have documented fire drills at least once a year. I had to have written contracts that were kept on file for inspection for each child in my care.

I was subject to announced home inspections as well as one unannounced (surprise) inspection every calendar year. These inspections covered every space a child could go. My kitchen was searched, my bathroom, etc.

I could have a total of 8 kids for each adult and I was limited to 2 infants per adult. I had to have written policies in place about how I was going to dispose of diaper waste, where I was going to change baby, and I had to have a pre-approved back-up provider in case I was incapacitated in any way. This person had to attest that they would step in, with no notice, if needed so the kids wouldn't be unattended.

There were continuing education requirements, too.

I do think that the licensing requirements in my state may have saved lives.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:29 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Administering medicine is crazy regulated by most state licensing agencies. The requirements for labeling, administration, etc. are very strict. You may NOT give any medication that is not prescribed to the child. Benadryl is obviously not prescribed so it shouldn't be administered at all. The only exception to that is if a child is having an acute allergic reaction to something (bee sting, etc.) in which case the 911 operator will give instructions for administering it.

Could it have happened in a licensed facility? Sure. Just because someone knows they're not supposed to do something doesn't mean they won't do it anyway.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:50 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I think what really bothers me about the whole benadryl thing is that I know parents who have done this or used tylenol or other medication to get baby to sleep. Not defending the daycare provider at all, but I don't think (and haven't read anything ) to make me think she intentionally killed the baby.

My point is that I think this is far more pervasive (medicating babies to get them to sleep) than it would seem.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Administering medicine is crazy regulated by most state licensing agencies. The requirements for labeling, administration, etc. are very strict. You may NOT give any medication that is not prescribed to the child. Benadryl is obviously not prescribed so it shouldn't be administered at all. The only exception to that is if a child is having an acute allergic reaction to something (bee sting, etc.) in which case the 911 operator will give instructions for administering it.

Yes, this is how the daycare is where my children go. They are completely not allowed to administer Benadryl and other OTC meds. The parent has to come administer it during the day if they want their child to have it. Prescription medications can be administered by the front office (staffed by a retired nurse) with a current form signed by the pediatrician, but the pediatricians here will not sign for over the counter medications so parents must do it. When my children were teething, I had to drive over once a day to give Tylenol too. At first I thought it was annoying and ridiculous, but now I greatly appreciate it.

They even do random inspections of the children's bags and if they find any OTC meds, the front office will take it and give it to the parent at pick up and tell them it's not allowed, just in case.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:07 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I think what really bothers me about the whole benadryl thing is that I know parents who have done this or used tylenol or other medication to get baby to sleep. Not defending the daycare provider at all, but I don't think (and haven't read anything ) to make me think she intentionally killed the baby.

My point is that I think this is far more pervasive (medicating babies to get them to sleep) than it would seem.

I have used Benadryl to help my child sleep at night when they are sick with a cold and have a runny nose and cough, but I have very carefully measured out the children's dose that my pediatrician gave me based on my child's weight at their last well-visit.

That's a whole lot different than what happened with this babysitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting