Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 10:14 AM

295 posts, read 317,612 times

Advertisements

Im not sure if this is excessive worrying or a legitimate worry as a parent. Its in regards to public playgrounds. For some reason I always have the fear that these parks have hidden surprises due to the fact that they are public and accessible to anyone. Fears include other people leaving needles/syringes and nasty stuff like that. It doesnt help that there are news articles every once in a while mentioning these incidents. The last thing I want is for our kids to roam around and stumble onto these things.

Would you consider this excessive worrying as a parent? as a legitimate concern? do any of you do a scan of any playgrounds before you let your kids roam free? Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
...do any of you do a scan of any playgrounds before you let your kids roam free?
I would scan it when we got there, and walk around checking things out while the kids played. Then I'd go sit on a bench and watch them. But we lived and played in a safe area. I've literally never heard of anyone I know finding needles on a playground. I would think it's excessive to EXPECT to find them. A more realistic danger would be broken glass.

Older, bigger kids running around like crazy were always the biggest danger my toddlers faced on a playground.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:18 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Life is too short to be paranoid about everything. I'm a worrier, but if you worry about playgrounds, you have to worry about every public place.

I don't think it's overkill to take a look around and make them keep their shoes on.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:31 AM

I dont know why but for some reason if you google playground and syringes, a ton of articles come up of instances of such occurences. I dont even know how they would end up there in the first place. Maybe a scan of play area before would make the most sense.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
I dont know why but for some reason if you google playground and syringes, a ton of articles come up of instances of such occurences. I dont even know how they would end up there in the first place. Maybe a scan of play area before would make the most sense.
Why would anyone Google that?

Definitely, scanning the play area would be a good idea. But there are some moms who believe the job description means anticipating every worst-case scenario. I've certainly had my moments.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I've never found anything like that at any of the playgrounds my kids have played at, even the ones that were in parts of town that have a bad reputation.

I've heard about teenagers using drugs at the little neighborhood parks in my area, the ones owned by the various HOAs. I've seen some weird looking teens huddled together at our neighborhood park and they usually leave when we show up, but they've never left anything behind. I'd be surprised if they were doing anything with syringes though.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:03 AM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Never found anything like that at the neighborhood parks we frequented when my children were little, nor heard any reports. My general rule of thumb would be that the park is probably about as safe as the neighborhood it's in. In my very safe, family-friendly area, playgrounds are raked and cleaned every couple of days and I had no reason to worry. In a seedy area, I would be more cautious. Though I do think hazards such as broken glass and cat poop are far more likely than needles and syringes. That sounds kind of like the paranoia about nonexistent razor blades in Halloween candy.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Why would anyone Google that?

Definitely, scanning the play area would be a good idea. But there are some moms who believe the job description means anticipating every worst-case scenario. I've certainly had my moments.
I actually did do that and there were about three instances last year where this happened in the state I am in. But I guess it would probably be considered a low risk since these instances make headlines every time it happens.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:32 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Just put your phone away and watch your child. That is all you have to do. of course, you will make note if things are safe when you go in. But...searching for potential dangers...ugh. No. Let your child have fun and not develop a fear of their world

Old 06-16-2016, 02:07 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
Quote:
Quote:
I actually did do that and there were about three instances last year where this happened in the state I am in. But I guess it would probably be considered a low risk since these instances make headlines every time it happens.
What kind of area are these parks in that you legitimately worry about find needles? Maybe you need to find a park in a better area, if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting