Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 05:32 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Why are more than half the threads about ADULT children? Is CD THAT skewed toward the over 50 crowd? Is everyone SO wimpy that their kids never get kicked out of the nest? Young parents, take note and save yourself another 20 years of torture once your kids are grown...don't do what you see on CD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 05:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why are more than half the threads about ADULT children? Is CD THAT skewed toward the over 50 crowd? Is everyone SO wimpy that their kids never get kicked out of the nest? Young parents, take note and save yourself another 20 years of torture once your kids are grown...don't do what you see on CD!
You are still a parent even when kids are grown. Just because you are discussing adult children, doesn't mean your kids are still living at home on your dime.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:40 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,886 times
Quote:
I think the complaints are coming from older parents because we just don't understand these millineals(our kids). We don't understand the job we've done raising them. It's our fault and were the only one to blame.

As for cd in General, I actually think the majority of the members are under 30. It just doesn't show in the parenting forum cause these younger members don't have problems with their free thinking kids yet. They're still just babies and young or they don't have kids yet. The trend these days is having kids much later in life I believe.

Does anyone know for sure what the majority age group for cd overall is?

Old 07-18-2016, 05:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You are still a parent even when kids are grown. Just because you are discussing adult children, doesn't mean your kids are still living at home on your dime.
Exactly. They are still our kids, just with different issues as they become older. This isn't a baby and toddler forum. TBH, the problems of little ones can be small potatoes compared to the teen and young adult years.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Exactly. They are still our kids, just with different issues as they become older. This isn't a baby and toddler forum. TBH, the problems of little ones can be small potatoes compared to the teen and young adult years.
I'm not saying it's wrong to have threads on adults...but HALF? That tells me things are out of whack - 90% of the issues your adult kids have are purely THEIRS to resolve. Over-involvement is a big part of the problem.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
It seems that recently there have been quite a few threads about older teens and early 20's who are having problems acting like young adults. In most cases it seems that at least one parent has contributed to the problem by being overly lenient. As a young parent I read that the first job of parents is to teach their children to be independent adults, and this advise served me well.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it's wrong to have threads on adults...but HALF? That tells me things are out of whack - 90% of the issues your adult kids have are purely THEIRS to resolve. Over-involvement is a big part of the problem.
What it tells me is that people only post threads when there is an issue to discuss. Threads about well adjusted, employed adult children would be pretty short.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What it tells me is that people only post threads when there is an issue to discuss. Threads about well adjusted, employed adult children would be pretty short.
And how does that differ from posting threads about kids under the age of 18? If it holds for kids as for adult kids then they would be proportional?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
And how does that differ from posting threads about kids under the age of 18? If it holds for kids as for adult kids then they would be proportional?
Of course. And if you looked at the threads over the course of a year (or more)it would most likely even out. You are looking at a snapshot in time. It's not particularly useful to take the thread topics during a small amount in tiime and make a pronouncement about how things *are*.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
How old are your kids?

It's easy to get advice when kids are little. There is little, if any, stigma when you have a potty training issue, weaning, or questions about transitioning out of the crib. Magazines and books abound on the subject for those who don't have friends or family close by to confer with. And pediatrician offices will answer most questions.

Now, compare that to having a teen using drugs, flunking out of school, a chronic run-away, pregnant 16 yr old, a 20 yr old with depression, etc. Those aren't the sort of issues you bring up in casual conversation, or with people who have no experience dealing with similar things. C-D allows parents to ask for help anonymously( although rarely without being judged by some). And as long as there are parents, there will be many that need online support as they get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting