Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 10:04 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It has nothing to do withy dogs, and they have been planning on this move before I moved in. My dog's don't bark. He isn't that close to my house. I am a very responsible dog owner. My dogs have absolutely done not a thing to him. And he isn't that afraid of him because he lets his kids come over all the time.
Well then it seems you are making a big deal where there is none. You have already addressed the issue with your child and regardless of whether the neighbor is moving or staying there's no need to confront him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 10:07 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Can you quote me one place in this thread where I shared my intent to go over and tell this man *anything*?
You alluded to the fact that if he were not moving, you would confront him.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:43 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
You alluded to the fact that if he were not moving, you would confront him.
I did say if he wasnt moving i would talk to him about how that made me uncomfortable and explain why it isn't acceptable. I wouldn't go half cocked on him. Im a pretty nice gal. However, I will protect my kids and I would rather talk like an adult to this man then refuse my child from being able to play with his. But that being said, I have been clear all along I have no intention of making a big deal of anything (even if I talked to him) but that I was curious if my feelings on the topic were universal or if some parents didn't see it that way. I was a little bothered, because I don't think it was right. And posting helped me vent some. Then I was fine and was interested in the discussion

Old 08-11-2016, 11:21 AM

55 posts, read 32,471 times
Crossing the line for me too. I don't agree with anyone telling a child to hide things from their parents or to lie to them.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:17 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
It sounds like things are working out ok for this incident.
There is another issue here that is more important than setting the neighbor straight, and that is keeping the lines of communication open with your child, and it sounds like that was handled well.

What I've seen happen in a similar case is the parent blows up, confronts the other person and a big scene ensues. Everyone else gets drawn in and now people have to take sides. The child comes to the conclusion that all this embarrassing drama could have been avoided by keeping silent. That's not the desired outcome, but it is likely.
It's better that the child feel safe talking to the parents. With good advice and support form the parent, kids can handle almost anything other than what the police need to get involved in. That will be a huge deal when they become teenagers, and that is the number one difference between kids that get through adolescence safely and those who do not.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Because I agree with teaching my child the same thing about secrets as a way of preventing abuse - No, I would not say that to another child. But I don't think what he did was sinister in any way. And people who don't use that method (or whatever the right word is for it) wouldn't see it as a terrible thing to say.
My take on it as well. I think the guy regretted what he said and didn't want it getting back to the OP. Who among us hasn't done that? The problem is, you can't un-say something. So he tells the child not to tell. Not a good idea, but essentially harmless.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
It sounds like you are joking with the kids and they know it. I wouldn't be alarmed by that. Its when someone says it and means it that is alarming.

Rescue dogs have bitten friends I know, some severely. So I don't trust rescue dogs either. It's a normal sentiment that people are entitled to express and it isn't like he said something perverted and said don't tell your parents.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:24 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My take on it as well. I think the guy regretted what he said and didn't want it getting back to the OP. Who among us hasn't done that? The problem is, you can't un-say something. So he tells the child not to tell. Not a good idea, but essentially harmless.
Would've been even better if the neighbor came to you and said, Look I misspoke with your kid the other day. I'm sorry.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Would've been even better if the neighbor came to you and said, Look I misspoke with your kid the other day. I'm sorry.
He doesn't even know it's an issue, apparently!

Old 08-11-2016, 02:26 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Rescue dogs have bitten friends I know, some severely. So I don't trust rescue dogs either. It's a normal sentiment that people are entitled to express and it isn't like he said something perverted and said don't tell your parents.
You would think if he was as concerned as he sounded (telling my own child that rescue dogs attack children) he wouldn't let his little kids come over here all the time.

All dogs have the capability to attack or do damage. Good dog owners know this and take persuasions. I do.

Maybe there is some resentment there. They have a dog, and while sweet, he is free to roam the neighborhood. Poops in yards, goes into other people's yards and houses and upsets dogs who don't like that (mine included). Of course its a breed dog and I am sure cost quite a bit...so maybe he thinks that makes it a better dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting