Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:32 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

Or, try these:

Kids' SmartWool Socks, Two-Pack | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 12:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I appreciate your disdain. I don't think that. We simply tried everything we could get our hands on. Obviously they make special socks for sports but they're almost exclusively for older kids or adults.

My problem is finding them for a five year old who's the size of a three year old. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips of a specific brand or store they are aware of that would work well for a tiny foot.
Sorry.

The hockey program in my niece's city starts at age three. Some of kids, especially the little girls who just turned three, were really, really tiny and they always had equipment, I am guessing socks, too, that fit them.

What did the coach say when you asked him/her about socks? Where do the other parents get the socks for their children? They would know the places to shop in your city.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:19 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am sure that they make special socks for hockey, just like they make special socks for skiing or rugby or soccer or other sports. You would never see a person playing (as an example) rugby wearing the same socks that would wear to school or to the mall. I'm a little surprised that you would think that would be true for any sport.

Ask what socks to buy where you buy the hockey equipment or in sporting goods store. Or ask the other parents or the coach.
I played through high school, and am unaware of any socks that were made specifically for hockey players/ice skaters. Hockey Socks are a part of the uniform which aren't socks in the strictest sense of the word; they are ankle to thigh wool tubes that hold the shin pad on and are held up by a garter belt or velcro.

I did look on a hockey equipment website and such a creature does exist; but they are largely designed to be cut proof so if skated over, you don't get cut. I didn't know anyone even at the HS level except maybe goalies that wore these.

I would look at smartwool or a ski shop.

One last though...if the skates are proper tight, she shouldn't feel cold or anything else.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:21 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
I am sure that they make special socks for hockey, just like they make special socks for skiing or rugby or soccer or other sports. You would never see a person playing (as an example) rugby wearing the same socks that would wear to school or to the mall. I'm a little surprised that you would think that would be true for any sport.

Ask what socks to buy where you buy the hockey equipment or in sporting goods store. Or ask the other parents or the coach.
I played through high school, and am unaware of any socks that were made specifically for hockey players/ice skaters. Hockey Socks are a part of the uniform which aren't socks in the strictest sense of the word; they are ankle to thigh wool tubes that hold the shin pad on and are held up by a garter belt or velcro.

I did look on a hockey equipment website and such a creature does exist; but they are largely designed to be cut proof so if skated over, you don't get cut. I didn't know anyone even at the HS level except maybe goalies that wore these.

I would look at smartwool or a ski shop.

One last though...if the skates are proper tight, she shouldn't feel cold or anything else.

Quote:
Sorry.

The hockey program in my niece's city starts at age three. Some of kids, especially the little girls who just turned three, were really, really tiny and they always had equipment, I am guessing socks, too, that fit them.

What did the coach say when you asked him/her about socks? Where do the other parents get the socks for their children? They would know the places to shop in your city.
Most people just wear sweat/gym socks.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I live in South Florida so socks are not a thing that I really have however, when I go somewhere like NYC in the winter, my toes freeze off!

I solved that by buying wool socks! My feet have never been cold again!

Also, because they are a natural fiber, they breath and my feet don't sweat.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Don't know if you can find them in that size but merino wool is very warm.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
As a Canadian, my first question is this...Is she skating outdoors, or in a arena?

Arenas are usually kept at a temperature around 40 F. That keeps the ice solid, but it also makes it more comfortable for those who are not skating , such as parents or spectators at games.

If she is skating outdoors, the air temp will be more important to her being "comfortable ".

About socks......Wool , one layer,. and tighten the laces as much as possible. That does two things.. makes the ankles more stable, and reduces wobble. What type of skate is she wearing, the figure type or the hockey type.

I would stay away from the figure skates with Velcro cross straps, as they do not tighten tight enough to be secure and provide stability to the foot.

For a very young kid, figure skates are harder to manage, as the blades have a different "grind profile " than a hockey skate does. This means that the figure skate takes a different foot and leg motion than a hockey skate does. With the hockey skate the forward motion is generated by pushing sideways and outwards at the same time, while figure skate requires a "straight ahead " push. Two very different sets of leg muscles are required for each style of skate.

Not that this is relevant to a very young child.. but many pro hockey players wear NO socks in their skates, for added tightness, and being able to really feel the ice surface.

Double socks are a bad idea. Friction between the layers and sweating.

Jim B.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:38 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Alright folks, I guess I should have started this with the fact that I am well aware of the nuances of hockey. I played. My husband played. My six year old has played for four years already. This will be my five year old's second year. I know what the equipment is. My six year old plays with regular synthetic athletic socks and is just fine.

They play indoors and out. But our local rink is hardly indoors. Whatever the temp is outside it may be five degrees warmer inside. It is not unusual to see negative temps indoors. And they don't run the heaters for the little kids.

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought to look at ski shops. I finally found some thinner wool socks from one online. I hope they work.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Please don't over-tighten the skates. It will make her feet even colder. Too tight cuts off circulation. Socks that are too thick will make the feet colder as well.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
My boys have not complained of cold feet with hockey, but every kid is different. We just use hockey socks (or my older son just prefers to wear his UnderArmour socks).

For cold feet I would definitely try the smart wool ski socks and see how they do.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting