Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 11:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Hormonal birth control is a Godsend for some women- I use it mostly for other reasons because I need the hormone regulation. It's much better than 10 days of a migraine, heavy bleeding, and 5 days of cramping every month.
If you only need hormone regulation you really should think about bio-identical hormones instead of BC pills. And for women who need birth control there are better ways of accomplishing it than screwing around with their hormones. I wouldn't mind if we actually had some clue about how all this stuff works but we don't. Its throw crap against the wall and see what sticks. The hormones in BC pills is sourced from equine urine and have only a passing resemblance to the estrogen and progesterone hormone molecules in human beings. Hormones identical to human ones can be made available but they are not patentable and therefore have no attraction for profit obsessed pharmaceutical concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 11:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
I suspect the reason this thread exists is to try and take away what peace of mind might be present in a parent whose daughter is sexually active but using birth control. Anyone who wants to can panic and pull their child off the stuff. I readily agree it isn't the best thing in the world for a developing body or mind. But as an earlier poster pointed out, neither is a teen pregnancy.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:49 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Those soybeans can be a problem and it is very hard to avoid them. Did you know that water-packed tuna contains a broth that is based on soybeans? Very few brands will specifically list soy as an ingredient, but most call it "vegetable broth".
Soy is in almost everything. I recently became allergic and maybe 90% of processed food has soy in some form, maybe even more than that. It's pretty hard to eliminate soy from your diet without making really drastic changes, especially if you're eliminating soybean oil too. Eating at restaurants is out as well.

The tuna with soy broth generally lists it in the allergen statement but not in the ingredients. I have a really specific reaction to soy and can tell when I've accidentally eaten it. The tuna caught me by surprise.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Are you being sarcastic? That does exist, it's the copper IUD. Very cost effective too, at least in my country.
It is only more recently that doctors are willing to place IUDs in patients that have not yet had children and there are plenty that still do not want to do so. (In the US.)

Old 10-02-2016, 12:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If you only need hormone regulation you really should think about bio-identical hormones instead of BC pills. And for women who need birth control there are better ways of accomplishing it than screwing around with their hormones. I wouldn't mind if we actually had some clue about how all this stuff works but we don't. Its throw crap against the wall and see what sticks. The hormones in BC pills is sourced from equine urine and have only a passing resemblance to the estrogen and progesterone hormone molecules in human beings. Hormones identical to human ones can be made available but they are not patentable and therefore have no attraction for profit obsessed pharmaceutical concerns.
We know how it works; it's called science. If birth control pills weren't safe and effective, they would be pulled off the market. Pregnancy is generally much more dangerous to a woman's body than birth control pills. People can claim anything is unsafe, but anectodal "evidence" doesn't mean squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
It is only more recently that doctors are willing to place IUDs in patients that have not yet had children and there are plenty that still do not want to do so. (In the US.)
That's too bad. IUDs are not only a very safe form of birth control, they are quite effective, especially in teens who are not always consistent about taking a pill every day. IUDs last for up to 10 years and do not have to be remembered all the time, and there are even IUDs that contain no hormones.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:18 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Teen motherhood portends more than a chance of depression. Single teen motherhood is statistically a dead end for a successful life.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I suspect the reason this thread exists is to try and take away what peace of mind might be present in a parent whose daughter is sexually active but using birth control. Anyone who wants to can panic and pull their child off the stuff. I readily agree it isn't the best thing in the world for a developing body or mind. But as an earlier poster pointed out, neither is a teen pregnancy.
I think its just passing on information. Its clear by personal accounts that it can have implications in mood, and that is not well known, even to doctors. It your teen decided to use BCPs, then keep an eye open for emotional changes and attending to the issues right away is what is needed. This is just more information.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Most young women I know are opting for the nuvaring which I doubt has the same hormonal issues as the pill. NuvaRing (etonogestrel/ethinyl estradiol vaginal ring) | Official Website

As for other options being expensive, I have never had a type of birth control not covered by insurance (even when I was on state aid as a teen) because all of it is still way cheeper then paying for a baby to be born, etc.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:12 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
We know how it works; it's called science. If birth control pills weren't safe and effective, they would be pulled off the market. Pregnancy is generally much more dangerous to a woman's body than birth control pills. People can claim anything is unsafe, but anectodal "evidence" doesn't mean squat.

That's too bad. IUDs are not only a very safe form of birth control, they are quite effective, especially in teens who are not always consistent about taking a pill every day. IUDs last for up to 10 years and do not have to be remembered all the time, and there are even IUDs that contain no hormones.
An IUD is a birth-control device, but not a contraceptive. Some women have used them, without event, for many years. But others have had sudden episodes of bleeding, sometimes severe and they could not be predicted. If a woman used an IUD and was in a remote area, far from medical help, it could be disastrous. It takes some special tools and skill, to remove one. A woman-friend and I had a horrifying experience with her IUD and we lived just 4 blocks from a hospital. We found out just how little the "care-providers" at a hospital owned by a well-known church really cared about any individual who used one.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:43 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My experience taking the pill was all positive.

No more irregular periods, cut the length of my period in half, no more cramps.

Depressed? Just the opposite, my life was so much better.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
An IUD is a birth-control device, but not a contraceptive. Some women have used them, without event, for many years. But others have had sudden episodes of bleeding, sometimes severe and they could not be predicted. If a woman used an IUD and was in a remote area, far from medical help, it could be disastrous. It takes some special tools and skill, to remove one. A woman-friend and I had a horrifying experience with her IUD and we lived just 4 blocks from a hospital. We found out just how little the "care-providers" at a hospital owned by a well-known church really cared about any individual who used one.
Yep, that incident was trending in my FB feed for a while, or else it's happened at least two separate times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting