Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:33 AM

305 posts, read 331,085 times

Advertisements

At almost 42 and a type 2 diabetic would I be able to adopt? I wasn't sure of all the stipulations. We make over 100K together and have a small but nice duplex home and a bedroom for the child etc...also I wonder about the cost of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 10:48 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
Foster care would probably be a better choice if you are concerned about the financial aspect of it.

We looked into adoption. International adoption can cost anywhere from 15K (on the very low end) to 50K. We also had friends who tried for three years to adopt from China, they lost 10K in fees they could not recover, and didn't wind up getting to adopt. So after three years and it not working, they adopted domestically. They found a woman in their area that had a baby to give up for adoption. This couple was in their early 30s. I know that some adoption agencies can be picky about certain things with regard to prospective parents - age, health issues, what type of home someone lives in.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:06 PM

170 posts, read 193,313 times
You are young enough to adopt and income seems fine too but I am no expert on adoption. I do know that a neighbor of mine was denied custody for her granddaughter due to age but she was past 65.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:31 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times
Absolutely you can adopt, 42 is fine and you don't have to be rich or live in a mansion, just stable. Cost varies widely between domestic and foster to adopt. International adoption is almost impossible these days so I wouldn't even bother.

We adopted internationally twice, but over a decade ago now. We started with a phone call to Catholic Charities who performed our homestudy. In my area they are a good place to start for adoption information.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:35 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,218,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
At almost 42 and a type 2 diabetic would I be able to adopt? I wasn't sure of all the stipulations. We make over 100K together and have a small but nice duplex home and a bedroom for the child etc...also I wonder about the cost of it.
I was 40 (and a T2D) when we became foster parents. We have adopted both our children through the foster care system.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Many women don't even give up on biological kids until that age so you are not too old. You need to seriously start studying adoption. Go to every program you can find even if they are for international adoption which you probably don't want to do. The more information you get the better off you will be.
Start getting your act together like certified birth certificates, divorce decree, marriage certificate, past taxes, etc. All that will be a part of your home study.
Be VERY Patient. Remember this is a "game" of supply and demand and the demand is way more than the supply.

Good luck.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:32 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
These days a lot of mothers are discouraged to give up their babies, so there aren't many babies up for adoption. You will be put on a list if you go through an adoption agency.

I suggest you do what my sister in law did: She wrote a very nice letter about her and my brother's lives (their income, their values, housing, etc) and the medical reason why she couldn't have kids. She photocopied it, and then sent it to every obstetrician across Ontario. This was after they had gone through a government adoption agency and successfully adopted a baby girl.

They were contacted by one of the obstetricians and ended up getting a healthy baby boy. They were thrilled. Both children are now grown.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Anymore most domestic adoptions done by private agencies ask prospective parents to make a scrapbook with pictures, letters from family embers, etc. These are given to birth mothers to choose. In many ways it becomes a popularity contest. Who presents the best. There are even business which do these as well as videos.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,873,466 times
Would you want only an infant or would you be willing to adopt an older child? How about a child who is not your race or a handicapped child?

You'd have a lot better chance being approved with one of the above and you'd be doing a wonderful thing offering a home to a hard-to-adopt child.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:24 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Many women don't even give up on biological kids until that age so you are not too old. You need to seriously start studying adoption. Go to every program you can find even if they are for international adoption which you probably don't want to do. The more information you get the better off you will be.
Start getting your act together like certified birth certificates, divorce decree, marriage certificate, past taxes, etc. All that will be a part of your home study.
Be VERY Patient. Remember this is a "game" of supply and demand and the demand is way more than the supply.

Good luck.
ive got a dumb question

with demand so high for adoption why are there so many abortions??

can the adoptive parents.... pay the mother 5, 10 15k NOT to abort and adopt their kid??

I know if its put in this light, then it seems its all about money,,,,but id think the mother who aborts is usually going thru some type of hell, and at least you are offering an alternative or better option...
and helps the mother get back on her feet financially....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting