Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with this? I was waiting on an appointment with the Developmental and Behavioral Peds. My child's doctor called yesterday and told me while the referral was appoved but it was recommended to get a psychological educational test done.

I contacted his school counselor. It looks like this is something that can be done through the school. The SC told me it's a lengthy process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:33 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
My son has epilepsy, so we did this the private route. Basically his neurologist referred us to a developmental psychologist. We went and had a meeting with the psychologist who asked us questions and then decided what tests they should give him. Then we came back a different day and had all the tests done. Then we came back again for the results meeting. This was covered by insurance under his epilepsy diagnosis.

If you don't have a diagnosis, then generally this stuff gets really really expensive. So the other route is to do it through school, but I'm told that usually takes longer. I've never had to do it through school so I don't know that process.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
My son has epilepsy, so we did this the private route. Basically his neurologist referred us to a developmental psychologist. We went and had a meeting with the psychologist who asked us questions and then decided what tests they should give him. Then we came back a different day and had all the tests done. Then we came back again for the results meeting. This was covered by insurance under his epilepsy diagnosis.

If you don't have a diagnosis, then generally this stuff gets really really expensive. So the other route is to do it through school, but I'm told that usually takes longer. I've never had to do it through school so I don't know that process.
I don't have a diagnosis. He needs to be tested in order to get one and I am running into roadblocks. My child essentially failed the test that was done at school by the speech language pathologist. They had never had anybody fail one and didn't know what to do. After going to their bosses, they found they couldn't go any further. They told me I needed a medical diagnosis from a doctor. I had already discussed what was going on with the doctor before having the child tested at school. I was in referral limbo for a month and now back to going through the school. We suspect we know what the issue could be it's just getting the diagnosis.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I don't have a diagnosis. He needs to be tested in order to get one and I am running into roadblocks. My child essentially failed the test that was done at school by the speech language pathologist. They had never had anybody fail one and didn't know what to do. After going to their bosses, they found they couldn't go any further. They told me I needed a medical diagnosis from a doctor. I had already discussed what was going on with the doctor before having the child tested at school. I was in referral limbo for a month and now back to going through the school. We suspect we know what the issue could be it's just getting the diagnosis.

When my son was in the Early Intervention Program (government sponsored free program for age 3 and under), they were able to start services immediately after my son failed the SLP's test. You need to find out if it works the same way for the school age program. Once he fails the SLP's test, can he immediately get an IEP and start getting speech therapy, or does he have to wait for a diagnosis.

If he has to wait for a diagnosis, then ask the school when is your child on the schedule to get tested by a developmental psychologist (who can make a diagnosis). Then, if you have money or good insurance, call a developmental psychologist yourself, and ask how much it would cost to do the testing privately, and what the schedule would look like. Call your insurance and see if they can pay for anything.

Once you have all the information, you can decide whether to proceed with testing yourself, or waiting and letting the school do it. You have to push though. Call people. Ask for specifics. Dates. Call back and follow up. Don't stop until you have answers.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:57 AM

Oh also. If you aren't able to get an IEP and speech therapy set up immediately through the school, that can be done privately as well, and isn't prohibitively expensive, if you have decent insurance. Our insurance covers something like 100 visits with a therapist a year without a diagnosis, so we were able to just call up a local speech therapist and ask for therapy. We had to pay our copay for every visit, but that only came out to paying $25 a week for therapy. We also have to drive him to and from therapy - it wasn't during school hours. But it can get you started while waiting for the school to do their thing.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
My choices were to get free testing from the school, which would be limited, and not give a diagnosis; or pay for extensive private testing that would diagnose. We spent the money to go private.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
When my son was in the Early Intervention Program (government sponsored free program for age 3 and under), they were able to start services immediately after my son failed the SLP's test. You need to find out if it works the same way for the school age program. Once he fails the SLP's test, can he immediately get an IEP and start getting speech therapy, or does he have to wait for a diagnosis.

If he has to wait for a diagnosis, then ask the school when is your child on the schedule to get tested by a developmental psychologist (who can make a diagnosis). Then, if you have money or good insurance, call a developmental psychologist yourself, and ask how much it would cost to do the testing privately, and what the schedule would look like. Call your insurance and see if they can pay for anything.

Once you have all the information, you can decide whether to proceed with testing yourself, or waiting and letting the school do it. You have to push though. Call people. Ask for specifics. Dates. Call back and follow up. Don't stop until you have answers.
Once he failed the SLP's test they couldn't go any further. The SC told me that the teacher put the recommended interventions in place but he does not have an IEP. I am shooting for a 504 plan. I hope to get it in place before he takes the BOG's (our state testing which starts this year). We suspect that he has an Audio Processing Disorder or Dyslexia or both.

I emailed the SC yesterday after I received the call from the doctor's office. The SC told me that they could do this but it was a lengthy process. She told me she would get with the EC teacher and have her call me. I just want to gather information before she calls. I do have pretty good insurance through my employer so I will also check that route as well.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Once he failed the SLP's test they couldn't go any further. The SC told me that the teacher put the recommended interventions in place but he does not have an IEP. I am shooting for a 504 plan. I hope to get it in place before he takes the BOG's (our state testing which starts this year). We suspect that he has an Audio Processing Disorder or Dyslexia or both.

I emailed the SC yesterday after I received the call from the doctor's office. The SC told me that they could do this but it was a lengthy process. She told me she would get with the EC teacher and have her call me. I just want to gather information before she calls. I do have pretty good insurance through my employer so I will also check that route as well.

If you have good insurance, then I'd go ahead and start getting private speech therapy. Just google local speech therapists, or ask your school's SLP for a recommendation. That way even if the testing and diagnosis takes forever, you've already started getting help.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 AM

Also if you really suspect APD, look into the Tomatis method for listening therapy. A good friend of mine has a daughter with APD who has done really well with a Tomatis method therapy called EnListen. EnListen®

And if you really suspect Dyslexia, look into Orton Gillingham method curriculums for learning how to read. Orton Gillingham Reading Program for Dyslexia - 14 Choices I've heard good things about All About Reading, Barton, and Saxon. I have had great success with Hooked on Phonics.

You don't have to wait for a diagnosis to start therapy if you are willing to either pay for or do the therapy yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting