Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:08 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times

Advertisements

Alright all,

I'm looking for some advice. My wife just received an e-mail from school regarding my child's behavior. We were told that my daughter (5 years old) spit on another kid at school. The other kid then kicked my daughter in retaliation. Doesn't "sound" like it was some game or something similar, more like my daughter was being a jerk. My wife and I are scheduling a meeting with the teacher to figure out what's going on, and see if anything led up to the incident.

We've had some behavior issues at home recently, mostly not listening and us having to repeat ourselves multiple times. Over the last year we've had a few difficulties at home. My job has me traveling for up to a week at a time, several times a month. My wife has struggled with medical concerns, and had several hospital stays over the last year including one for several days last week.

Trying to figure out how to approach this behavior, and what I can do to help my daughter. Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 01:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
I am sort of wondering where your child would even come up with the idea of spitting on someone?

BTW, because of spreading "bodily fluids" the school may take this very seriously. It is possible that it will be an automatic suspension, even at the kindergarten level.

In my 30 plus career as an elementary teacher, I have seen far too many incidents of hitting or kicking or even biting (with preschool or special education students) but can only recall one elementary age student in all that time spitting at peers (and he was a severely disturbed child, who also occasionally urinated on or tried to put his poop on others).

BTW, does your daughter have a regular caregiver/babysitter while her mother is unable to care for her while you are gone? Now, the stress on Mom in the hospital and Dad being gone might of been too difficult for DD to handle. Could DD be concerned that Mom may die?

Old 10-18-2016, 01:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Alright all,

I'm looking for some advice. My wife just received an e-mail from school regarding my child's behavior. We were told that my daughter (5 years old) spit on another kid at school. The other kid then kicked my daughter in retaliation. Doesn't "sound" like it was some game or something similar, more like my daughter was being a jerk. My wife and I are scheduling a meeting with the teacher to figure out what's going on, and see if anything led up to the incident.

We've had some behavior issues at home recently, mostly not listening and us having to repeat ourselves multiple times. Over the last year we've had a few difficulties at home. My job has me traveling for up to a week at a time, several times a month. My wife has struggled with medical concerns, and had several hospital stays over the last year including one for several days last week.

Trying to figure out how to approach this behavior, and what I can do to help my daughter. Any advice is appreciated!
Yes. Tell your daughter that spitting is unacceptable. And if she does it again, she'll be grounded all weekend.

As for the rest? That's typical five-year-old behavior, not having much to do with your wife being sick.

There. That should do it.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:28 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Alright all,

Has she done this before? If not, it seems like scheduling a meeting is a bit overkill. Let her know that behavior is unacceptable and move on. If it happens again, deal with it then.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:34 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Over the last year we've had a few difficulties at home. My job has me traveling for up to a week at a time, several times a month. My wife has struggled with medical concerns, and had several hospital stays over the last year including one for several days last week.
Your daughter is likely acting out because she doesn't get enough attention at home. Can you bring in some other family members to help out by staying with your daughter while the two of you are going through this rough patch?

Old 10-18-2016, 02:42 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
When my kids get a note home from school, they have to handwrite an apology letter, and they are grounded. My kids aren't too bad though. Yet, lol.

My friend has a daughter who is particularly spirited. She had a call home 3 times in the first month of Kindergarten, the 3rd time resulting in being sent home. Spitting was involved, as well as mooning, and "dancing around" and "sticking her tongue out and giggling at the principle".

The first call home she was lectured. The second call home she was grounded. The third call home she was paddled by dad with a wooden spoon. The parents were then called in for a conference, where they told the school what consequences they had given at home, and all of a sudden they don't get calls home anymore. I think the teacher just thought that the parents were being lazy. My friends are taking their child for an ADHD evaluation and have enrolled her in Tae Kwon Do lessons.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:51 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Alright all,

Spitting happens at this age. Its more common than you would think. I agree that you need to address her decision making and acting out on her feelings, but its very hard at this age and can take time. Just work hard. Most schools have lots of help for the youngsters. Use the school as an aid. It should pass, but if it is a sign of a more serious problem, getting it helped now is key. All the best.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
I am rather surprised at the posters who stated/implied that spitting at others was not unusual behavior for kindergarten age children. Having been a co-teacher at the Junior & Senior Kindergarten level for many years, as I said in my earlier post I have only seen it one time in the school setting. BTW, I have also never seen it when my kids were young or among children outside of school.

I have to assume that either it is more common in other areas of the country or more common in recent years (I retired a couple of years ago) or kids were doing it so sneakily (and it was not reported) that the teachers & aides never found out about it or something.

But, as in most things, YMMY.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My sister used to get in trouble for spitting on classmates at that age. She grew out of it

Kids do get stressed when a parent is ill, even if they don't fully understand the extent of the illness. If you're gone a lot, is there a backup plan for your daughter if your wife has a medical emergency? She may be worried that her mom will get really sick while you're not there and she won't know how to help her. My kid still worries about that and she's 14 and knows what to do if there's an emergency and it's been a couple of years since I've been in the hospital, so I can imagine that a 5 year old would be afraid.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:03 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
All,

Thanks for the replies!!! The meeting of my wife and the teacher went well, it was basically to get the full story, and that matched what my daughter told me.

My wife ands I had a fairly long conversation with my daughter, and she's grounded through the weekend. Hoping this doesn't happen again (or other behavior problems don't surface).

As to family help, we're lucky that we live within a mile of both sets grandparents (one of whom is retired).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting