Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 03:17 PM

432 posts, read 343,294 times

Advertisements

First let me say I have no children.

I would imagine it is harder for a child to grow up in today's times for a number of different reasons. Due in part to technology and I'm sure you can point out a number of different reasons. But you may feel there is no difference.

What are your thoughts?

EdX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 03:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Yes, I find it very hard to be a child today. Whenever I try, people give me funny looks. Still I manage to get away with it on rare occasions, but it is certainly harder now than it was when I was actually a child.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:24 PM

432 posts, read 343,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, I find it very hard to be a child today. Whenever I try, people give me funny looks. Still I manage to get away with it on rare occasions, but it is certainly harder now than it was when I was actually a child.

EdX

Old 12-06-2016, 05:46 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Well besides the funny above...I think its harder and easier in some ways.

I think its harder because I think a lot of people expect kids to be "perfect" and anything shy of that is a disorder deserving of therapy.

I think its harder because there are so many more choices

Because there is so much input now...it can be challenging.

Expectations seem much higher.

There is a lot more to worry about now then there used to be, I think (guns in schools, online bullying, war...when I was a kid the only thing we were afraid of was earthquakes)

But its "easier" because technology makes life easier. Because parents seem more protective of their kids. Bullying is being taken seriously so less kids suffer from it.

I don't know...now I think of it and I don't think its about being easier or harder...time marches on and things change. Its different, not harder or easier.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well besides the funny above...I think its harder and easier in some ways.

I think its harder because I think a lot of people expect kids to be "perfect" and anything shy of that is a disorder deserving of therapy.

I think its harder because there are so many more choices

Because there is so much input now...it can be challenging.

Expectations seem much higher.

There is a lot more to worry about now then there used to be, I think (guns in schools, online bullying, war...when I was a kid the only thing we were afraid of was earthquakes)

But its "easier" because technology makes life easier. Because parents seem more protective of their kids. Bullying is being taken seriously so less kids suffer from it.

I don't know...now I think of it and I don't think its about being easier or harder...time marches on and things change. Its different, not harder or easier.
Yup, this. I'm sure if you asked kids from 30 years ago and compared their answers to kids today, the results would be similar. Different issues, but just as important to those living through them.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
I don't think it's harder, just different. In some ways it is a lot easier than past generations, in other ways it is tougher.

I look at my grandparents who grew up in a rural area in the 30's and 40's. When they weren't in school they basically worked as children. They'd have to harvest, help with maintenance, manual laundry, etc, etc.

Today's kids by and large don't have to go outside and pick strawberries or churn butter. They do have to confront social media, which I imagine would be a huge challenge. I was occasionally bullied as a kid, but once I went home for the day it was over and I could deal with it. I can't imagine the challenge social media would present here. I think today there is also more pressure on kids to sign up for every extracurricular activity they possibly can.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's, and honestly it was probably an easier time to be a kid than either today or back when my grandparents were being raised. I had modern conveniences, didn't have to "work on the farm", and was mostly allowed to just be a kid. Apart from more modern things like video games emerging, I don't think my childhood was all that different from my parents who grew up in the 60's and 70's.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Growing up in the 50s and 60s, we worried about nuclear war. Closer to home, our parents worried about polio until the vaccine came out in the mid-50s. In 1962, we were on the brink of war with the Soviet Union re: the Cuban missile crisis. "Juvenile delinquency" was a big issue. By the end of high school (1967) Viet Nam was a huge deal. It's never easy, I guess.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:15 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Different generations face different challenges.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post

What are your thoughts?

EdX
I think you have too much time on your hands.

No one can possibly know how much different it is to be a child today unless they are a child today, and if we were already children, we aren't children now.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:53 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I can tell you one thing it would be harder today because kids are killing kids at an alarming rate . kids make fun of kids in second hand clothes a lot more today than they used too .I see this everyday when a high schooler that lives by me gets off the bus he is laughed at , pointed at and I can hear the kids say nasty things such as dirty boy and the like . it makes me so mad cause I want to smack those kids silly .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting