Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:37 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

I don't understand this thread.

Daughter: Doc says no swimming.

Other kids: Why?

Daughter: Nunya.

Daughter: As in, nunya bidness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't understand this thread.

Daughter: Doc says no swimming.

Other kids: Why?

Daughter: Nunya.

Daughter: As in, nunya bidness.
While I think this thread may have been beaten to death, like so many parenting threads, such a simplistic solution may not work. Posters have explained why-others may be quite persistent.

My question is this-is the OP's daughter going to have to make up this week of swim some other time?

Old 12-18-2016, 08:19 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Earache.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:43 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Its actually not new.

Cups dont go as far up as tampons. ( Diva or Luna cup dont VS soft cup, which as to go ON your cervix). You could also use Sea Sponges.

I use cloth pads and a cup.

-----
You cant avoid the water forever so youd have to find a solution at some point! ( yes you can skip this week right now but not the rest of your life! Summer vacation? Beach? Etc. )

I would talk to her dr about her options if its a medical related issue that she cant. Shes not the only woman who cant wear a tampon.
Yep I just don't swim during my period. It really isn't the end of the world. If we are scheduling a vacation where I would want to swim, I factor my cycle in.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:52 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Kids are 110% allowed to lie to peers when its none of their darn business. Kids tend to invade privacy and sometimes the only way to manage that is to tell a bit of a lie. Not the same as a malicious lie.
Do you think it is ok for your daughter to lie and say she had an asthma attack so she can't participate in swimming?

A lie, even a "white" lie, can begin to weave a tangled web.

Your daughter: "I had an asthma attack so my doctor said I can't swim this week."

Your daughter's friend: "Oh wow, I have asthma too. Who is your pulmonologist? I go to Dr. So-and-so."

Your daughter's friend's mom: (calling you) "Hello, I am taking my daughter to her childhood asthma support group tomorrow after school, would your daughter like to go along?"

School nurse: "Your daughter has been saying she has asthma, we will need a note from her pulmonologist on file and an emergency inhaler to keep at school in case she has an attack while at school"

Last edited by missik999; 12-18-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-18-2016, 09:58 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I believe that was sarcasm...

Didnt the "square dancing" mention seal that deal?
Not necessarily. At one point, strenuous physical activity during menstruation was advised against by mothers, grandmothers, and physicians alike.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:05 AM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Do you think it is ok for your daughter to lie and say she had an asthma attack so she can't participate in swimming?

Your daughter: "I had an asthma attack so my doctor said I can't swim this week."

Your daughter's friend: "Oh wow, I have asthma too. Who is your pulmonologist? I go to Dr. So-and-so."

Your daughter's friend's mom: (calling you) "Hello, I am taking my daughter to her childhood asthma support group tomorrow after school, would your daughter like to go along?"

School nurse: "Your daughter has been saying she has asthma, we will need a note from her pulmonologist on file an an emergency inhaler to keep at school in case she has an attack while at school"
In this case the mother says to her friend, friend's mother, school nurse - the truth. That is a much easier conversation to have than with the mean girl or boy that is bringing it up in the group. Also speaks to the need for the pre-planned white lie that is well thought out so as not to cause more problems. Again, the point here isn't even that everyone will believe it, the point is to just shut the rude person down in that moment.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:08 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
How do people know you aren't carrying tampons? Do they look through your purse??

Who cares anyway? Maybe you should carry some tampons as a decoy, prominently displayed in an outside pocket so no one would dare to assume you aren't carrying them.
It happens because the other women I work with have asked to use a tampon. I said I don't have any, and they reply with something along the lines of "aren't you afraid you'll get your period early?" But, as an adult, I am 100% comfortable explaining to other adult women, that I use a cup. Many of my friends do now too because of just such a conversation.

But it is not reasonable to expect that the OPs daughter is willing or mature enough to have that conversation with the mixed sex groups you have in gym class AND include her own personal medical information. And I can guarantee that her peers are not all mature enough to have that conversation either.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:15 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:

School nurse: "Your daughter has been saying she has asthma, we will need a note from her pulmonologist on file an an emergency inhaler to keep at school in case she has an attack while at school"
A lie is a lie, you suggested in a prior post carrying "decoy" tampons.

And let me give you a real example of the asthma lie that is used in my school.

One of our students has anxiety, severe enough she has anxiety attacks at school. She has a doctors note on file about the anxiety attacks in the office and with the nurse (as the OPs daughter has) . She does not want her peers to know and is embarrassed about her medical condition. Which is 100% her right.

When she starts having an anxiety attack, she tells her teacher she thinks she's having an "asthma" attack and goes to the nurse. She even carries an empty inhaler.

Guess what, not one student, in the four years this kid has been at our school no one has ever questioned her about her "asthma" let alone quizzed her on her doctor.

Now as someone who has had exactly 2 asthma attacks in her life, both due to allergic reactions, I would just say, the following to any prying questions even the wildly unlikely ones you proposed "no thanks it's easily controlled".

Old 12-18-2016, 10:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Question hmmm...

Well, please excuse my ignorance, but...don't all young ladies stay out of the pool when menstruating out of common health consideration for others?
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting