Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
We actually got complimented by the owner of a restaurant when we went out to dinner. We do not use a screen device to bribe or control our kid. We taught him manners and he brings one small, quiet toy with him. We also actually TALK to him, gasp, SHOCKING, I know.

The owner came over and said how wonderful it was that our kid was playing with a TOY and not staring at an iPad. He said he rarely sees that ever.
Wow. Sanctimonious much?

From your other posts, it seems you have one child who is still young ish. Some children are naturally more compliant and satisfied to sit quietly. Some children are more fidgety. Some of those very easy young children are challenging in other ways later on.

You might wait a few years before awarding yourself "Parent of the Century"

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-20-2016 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
For an adult yes, I agree. A phone is a luxury.

For a teenager that cannot drive, have access to a pay phone or may not have financial means to deal with an emergency situation it is not a luxury.

Flip phone is fine and inexpensive. Teens and parents should get over the smartphone nonsense.
Do you know what the word necessity means? It means you cannot live without it, there are people all over the world, and in this country who survive just fine without any phone. Therefore, as logic shows, it is NOT a necessity.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Two 14-year-old sisters, one in 8th grade and one in 9th. Middle school and high school. The other day the 9th grader was let out 45 minutes early from some band practice, she was locked out of school, couldn't find anybody with a phone, ended up waiting outside all that time for Daddy to come at designated time.

OK so she needs a phone. I have a flip phone I rarely use, don't like and am willing to give to her for purpose of calling home, etc. But Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. It's not cool to have a flip phone and she would be mortified for anybody to see her using it! Daughter tells her daddy that teachers all the time say "get out your phone and go to xyz ". Could that possibly be true. I'm sure she is not the only one without a phone.

DH says they both need phones and we can get ones without data plan.
Here's my problem---besides I'm old and grumpy. We are on them all the time about too much screen time and here he is talking about giving them one more screen!

So do your 14 year old kids have smart phones? Do teachers really assume all kids have them and use them as part of instruction?

If we got them, the rule would be the same as it is for their nexus and laptops---only used downstairs in family room and never upstairs in the bedrooms.

I really was hoping we could hold off til they are 16 but maybe that's not realistic. I know it is important to fit in but damn...this could get expensive. DH has company phone, I don't want a smart phone and we are not used to this expense.
I'm not a parent and I can't speak to the veracity of your daughters statements or the prevalence of cell phones in their school.

I will say that I graduated High School in 2006, 11 years ago, and I was among the very last to get a cell phone, when I got it my senior year. I would let them have the flip phone. It builds character

Old 12-20-2016, 07:59 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm not a parent and I can't speak to the veracity of your daughters statements or the prevalence of cell phones in their school.

I will say that I graduated High School in 2006, 11 years ago, and I was among the very last to get a cell phone, when I got it my senior year. I would let them have the flip phone. It builds character

Most schools do not allow phones to be on during school. If they are caught using it they will take it away. As far a giving her a flip phone, as I said in an earlier post there is not much of a price difference between the two. If you're going to get her a phone, get the smart phone. The poor girl would probably have NO phone than a flip phone and I don't see them being around much longer. The flip phone are being fazed out quick.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I really was hoping we could hold off til they are 16 but maybe that's not realistic. I know it is important to fit in but damn...this could get expensive. DH has company phone, I don't want a smart phone and we are not used to this expense.
Yes, it can and will. If smartphones are not in your budget, then you need to explain that to your kids. If they cannot accept that, well, you've got bigger problems to address.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
I am not going to get into the need vs luxury debate. Lots of things that are not needs can be chosen for decent reasons. When my dd first asked for one because all her friends had one, my answer was well it stinks to be you. We did chose to get she and my son one when *I* wanted to be able to get in touch with them when they were out in the world, and they could get in touch with me. I find that a lot of my kids' parents never answer their phones. I can IM them using my desktop which I use way more often than I text on my phone. Added benefits include being able to contact their friends to make plans without using my phone. They can IM me when they get home from school when I am still at work (where it looks like I am goofing off if I am on my phone) to ask me what the chores are for the day...

Works for us. There are plenty of good reasons not to get a smart phone. Everyone else has one or I would be embarrassed are not good reasons in *my* book. But everyone has different books.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
We actually got complimented by the owner of a restaurant when we went out to dinner. We do not use a screen device to bribe or control our kid. We taught him manners and he brings one small, quiet toy with him. We also actually TALK to him, gasp, SHOCKING, I know.

The owner came over and said how wonderful it was that our kid was playing with a TOY and not staring at an iPad. He said he rarely sees that ever.

Saddest thing: we were out for lunch a few years ago and a family was sitting at a table, Dad staring at phone, Mom staring at phone .... little girl silent and staring into space. The whole time they were there. Not one word exchanged. I wanted to cry for that little girl.

People are addicted and refuse to admit it. Sad.
You sound like a friend of mine who thought I was a horrible parent to my then toddler son. Her daughter sat and colored and behaved beautifully during a dinner outing with us. My son was rambunctious and did not want to sit. I had to take him outside and walk a bit. She looked at me and said "why don't you just sit him down and color?" with a very condescending tone.

A couple of years later she had a boy, and apologized. Every child is different, they don't all sit down and color, play with toys etc. Her son was a little toddler terror.

Parents should not judge others, you never know the entire story.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You sound like a friend of mine who thought I was a horrible parent to my then toddler son. Her daughter sat and colored and behaved beautifully during a dinner outing with us. My son was rambunctious and did not want to sit. I had to take him outside and walk a bit. She looked at me and said "why don't you just sit him down and color?" with a very condescending tone.

A couple of years later she had a boy, and apologized. Every child is different, they don't all sit down and color, play with toys etc. Her son was a little toddler terror.

Parents should not judge others, you never know the entire story.
I once heard that it's folly to accept parenting advice from anyone who has fewer than three children or all girls. Food for thought.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I once heard that it's folly to accept parenting advice from anyone who has fewer than three children or all girls. Food for thought.
LOL. My niece has three children. She was absolutely shocked at how much harder it was with three vs. just two children. Her favorite saying is "We needed to switch from 'man to man defense' to 'zone defense' and are now frequently on the losing team".

Old 12-20-2016, 08:45 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post

SERIUOUSLY? WHY? That makes NO sense at all. What does having only two children and them being girls have to do with anything?

I think someone who has 2 girls ages 11 & 8 (such as mine) or even older, would have more experience raising children than say some one with 3 kids that are 4,2,0 for example. I've been there and done that, the other person is still trying to figure out the next step of getting through the toddler years and getting them prepared for school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting