Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Parents can make their own efforts.
... especially if they don't want their daughters to drink themselves to oblivion and wind up getting filmed while being gang-raped by a bunch of horny, drunk teenage boys, who also need to be on a tight leash until they develop the common sense not to engage in that sort of behavior.

https://atlantadailyworld.com/2014/0...ry-drunk-girl/

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/1...ille-ohio.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I'm not a parent but my friend lets her daughter drink as long as they don't go anywhere but also let her friend drink. Someone she hadn't met before and doesn't know the parents. My friend and her cousins told her she shouldn't especially not knowing her parents. She doesn't think it's a big deal.
Heck to the NO....

My own children might snag a sip of something, but no way would I let someone else's kid drink under my watch.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,372,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
my neighbor was doing this, allowing the son to have parties, well I would have beer cans on my lawn, cigarette butts by the handful, even a tampon and other trash, I dealt with his drunk friends driving on my lawn, pissing on my lawn, fed up I asked the dad to tone down the parties and he freaked out, that being said I haven't spoke to him since, so I would say bad idea, especially if you do not want problems with neighbors.
Next time call the police. Let them deal with the underaged drinking.

Seriously.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
None of that matters. It doesn't matter if it's beer, wine or hard liquor. It's all intoxicating.
It only takes once for a fatal DUI to happen. It doesn't matter what time of day.
Of course all of those things matter. Context is everything.

This puritanical attitude toward alcohol doesn't prevent abuse
any more than a puritanical attitude toward sex prevents teen pregnancy.
All that works is education.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think if you bring up your child correctly and in a responsible committed stable two parent household, your teenagers will not worship drinking or even care that much about it. I think the horse is already out of the barn if you're worrying about whether to allow a 16-year-old to drink. A properly raised 16-year-old will have a general contempt for any mind altering substance. That is the key, not withholding the alcohol after they are already damaged and seeking to escape life.
It is comical that you believe this.

My father will tell you, I was the 2 year old that would down his beer the moment he was distracted. At two I was far from "already damaged and seeking to escape life". I actually liked the taste of beer. I still do today at 38 years old.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Of course all of those things matter. Context is everything.

This puritanical attitude toward alcohol doesn't prevent abuse
any more than a puritanical attitude toward sex prevents teen pregnancy.
All that works is education.

Has nithing to do with a puritanical attitude but of an awareness of the legal ramifications in the event of any sort of problem, as well as the fact that making parental decisions for minor children that are not yours opens up another can of worms.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:56 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I'm not a parent but my friend lets her daughter drink as long as they don't go anywhere but also let her friend drink. Someone she hadn't met before and doesn't know the parents. My friend and her cousins told her she shouldn't especially not knowing her parents. She doesn't think it's a big deal.
NO

The only people who can allow someone underage to drink are either their parents, legal guardians, or their spouse. That's the way it is in most states.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:57 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
I may get flamed for this, but my wife and I have been guilty of letting our son (he is 17) and his friends have a beer or two on a couple of occasions (Thanksgiving at our house and a slumber party). We knew their parents, and they were not allowed to leave the house that night. We know it was probably not the right thing to do, but it was a very controlled environment and these were "good" kids. My somewhat conservative mother allowed me and some close buds to have a beer or two on some occasions when I was a teenager back in the 80s with no detrimental effect.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 03-26-2017 at 03:44 AM..

Old 03-26-2017, 03:39 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I never let anyone else's kids have alcohol at my house. I was way too paranoid about that sort of thing and since I'm not really a drinker myself it never even came up.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 PM

393 posts, read 409,521 times
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting