Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:32 AM

258 posts, read 234,394 times

Advertisements

My daughter has swimming in phys. ed. next week. Of course, she will be menstruating. Because of a medical condition, she is unable to use tampons. Her doctor wroter her a note excusing her, which is great. I just don't know what she should tell her classmates that ask why she isn't swimming.
I remember back in my day a girl that sat out of swim class, and she was talked about behind her back and even ostracized. (Hopefully that's not the case nowadays.)

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 08:44 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
My daughter has swimming in phys. ed. next week. Of course, she will be menstruating. Because of a medical condition, she is unable to use tampons. Her doctor wroter her a note excusing her, which is great. I just don't know what she should tell her classmates that ask why she isn't swimming.
I remember back in my day a girl that sat out of swim class, and she was talked about behind her back and even ostracized. (Hopefully that's not the case nowadays.)

Help?
I would suggest calling her guidance counselor is female, or the nurse if not, explain the situation, and ask them to call her down at the very beginning of class on the first day of swimming.

Then she can tell curious peers she had an asthma attack and can't be in with the chlorine.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:50 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I would suggest calling her guidance counselor is female, or the nurse if not, explain the situation, and ask them to call her down at the very beginning of class on the first day of swimming.

Then she can tell curious peers she had an asthma attack and can't be in with the chlorine.
Seriously? Encouraging her child to lie?

Old 12-17-2016, 09:19 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Tell the nosy Nellie's that she has a medical condition and on advice from her doctor can't swim this week. Or the truth the girls will understand.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:29 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

What's wrong with telling them the truth? She has a doctor's note to stay of of the pool for the week. End of story.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:34 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Kids are 110% allowed to lie to peers when its none of their darn business. Kids tend to invade privacy and sometimes the only way to manage that is to tell a bit of a lie. Not the same as a malicious lie.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:42 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
It depends on how your daughter feels about it. My son was going to have to take a mid-day medication for a couple weeks for a personal reason. At first he was in distress when he realized his class mates would totally notice. We talked about options

1) tell them and let the chips fall where they may
2) Tell them its none of their business, and mean it
3) Make up a white lie, saying its for another condition

He decided to opt for #2 but the first day he had to go take it, a bunch of kids asked him why he had to take the nurse's pass and he decided to tell them the truth. He was delighted that several kids said they had been through that too. He said he would just feel too stressed out either lying or having to keep telling people it wasn't their business.

HOWEVER, I also have a medical condition where I can not use tampons...and that is seriously personal. Some people are very judgmental about not using tampons, and then some people are going to be very curious about the abnormality and could potentially really torment the girl. I mean, even as an adult, its awkward when someone asks me for a tampon...I don't have any...why? I cant use them. Why? My cervix is in the wrong place. Do ou have a...ya know? I do...but by then the convo has gone way toooooooo far past my comfort zone!

I would suggest that the school allow her to sit out in the library or something like that (maybe help a teacher in their planning period) and if other kids notice, using a small white lie like her skin is too dry right now to swim.

I don't think the kid sitting out will be cause for teasing...but the reason why is very personal.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I really like the reason "she has a doctor's excuse". Some kids might ask what the excuse is. Then, I think the white lie might be, "I couldn't understand the medical words, s/he just said to stay out of the pool this week." If you make up a lie about dry skin, or asthma attack, or something else, "what a tangled web we weave".

Old 12-17-2016, 10:28 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
No reflection on anyone here but I am thinking about what a sad statement this is on our cultural views about womanhood. The beginning of menstruation should, in my opinion, be a cause for celebration and respect. It signals that a girl has entered the first phase of womanhood. Seems like we should have a special rite of passage for such a big event in a woman's life.

Guess we haven't made much progress in that area since I was a child. At least be sure to tell your daughters to counter-balance all the other nonsense.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:32 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Yes. Lying is a good way to keep ones personal information private without being made a pariah. I lie on behalf of my students frequently. I have a student whose father is dying and while everyone else is quietly working, he is quietly starting to tear up. I made my computer email noise go off, and told him I got an email and he needs to go see his guidance counselor. Complete and utter lie. I would do it again in a heart beat. A lie to save some dignity is perfectly acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting