Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 06:11 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times

Advertisements

Who still uses glass bottles, I did fifty years ago then changed to plastic for my last two kids in the 70s and 80s as there werent many glass bottles in the shops... Now knowing the dangers in plastics, I just wonder how many mothers now use glass as it must be much safer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 07:00 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Among my kids and their friends, I've never seen them using glass for their children. They do seem to be careful to avoid BPA etc.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:16 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
I know some who do.

Mine took plastic bottles the rare times they took a bottle. Avent seemed to be my children's only acceptable option.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:23 AM

Thanks for replies... it suddenly came to me that not enough mothers know dangers in plastics, even though some harmful junk has now been removed from better makes.. but Ive seen mothers pick up bottles in the one pound shops and they must be full of toxic junk.. shouldnt they be banned.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:11 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
There are a lot of BPA free options with plastic bottles. Not saying that BPA-free plastic is great, but it's better than it was. You also have to remember that the nipples are a form of plastic. So even if the bottles are glass, the baby is still exposed to plastic. Not to mention that most formulas contain a lot of questionable stuff and are packaged in plastic containers. If you are pumping breast milk, the pumps have plastic parts and the storage containers are also plastic. (Please note, I am not against formula; my own kids were formula-fed. For many people it is the best or only choice).

I guess my point is that it's pretty much impossible to avoid plastic altogether unless you exclusively breast feed with no pumping.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
There are a lot of BPA free options with plastic bottles. Not saying that BPA-free plastic is great, but it's better than it was. You also have to remember that the nipples are a form of plastic. So even if the bottles are glass, the baby is still exposed to plastic. Not to mention that most formulas contain a lot of questionable stuff and are packaged in plastic containers. If you are pumping breast milk, the pumps have plastic parts and the storage containers are also plastic. (Please note, I am not against formula; my own kids were formula-fed. For many people it is the best or only choice).

I guess my point is that it's pretty much impossible to avoid plastic altogether unless you exclusively breast feed with no pumping.
You are so right.. Ive thought about that too, I know phthates were taken out of the teats a long time ago but other things are still present.. and of course the forumula too.... cutting down with glass though might give babies a bit of a chance where plastic ones done.... breast feeding too can put toxins from the mum into the baby, we cant win.. no matter how much we want to be good mothers.. Im myself never breast fed , it wasnt the IN thing back in the day, even in hospitals the bottles were all ready in a crate waiting, no nurse asked if you wanted to feed your baby or not.. it was just something that wasnt talked about in the 60s hospitals... but in the 80s when I had my last son, it was different, there were choices and half the ward was breast feeding, how times change..

Old 01-25-2017, 08:35 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
In my own case, I exclusively pumped and bottle-fed, and I looked in to this. At least back then, 17+ years ago, the recommendation was to use plastic for breast milk because certain important nutrients in breast milk stick to glass. This prevents the baby from getting them. But I had a friend who had to switch to formula feeding because of an illness, and she used glass.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In my own case, I exclusively pumped and bottle-fed, and I looked in to this. At least back then, 17+ years ago, the recommendation was to use plastic for breast milk because certain important nutrients in breast milk stick to glass. This prevents the baby from getting them. But I had a friend who had to switch to formula feeding because of an illness, and she used glass.
Havent heard of that but could well be true...

Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
You can breastfeed for a year and then switch to a cup, but I don't know many women who hand over a real glass to a toddler. Sippy cups are plastic, too.

Edit: Now that I think about it, my husband's first cup was silver, so there are probably stainless steel or enameled toddler cups on the market that would not shatter when flung to the floor from a high chair.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:19 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Another thing along these lines is all the plastic toys, chairs, cups, and dishes. Honestly, our world has become full of plastic, but it is especially so for kids. They have hardly any wooden, metal or cloth toys any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting