Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:37 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I am out of touch. All my life I thought Valentine's Day was a day when you bought candy and/or a greeting card for your spouse or significant other. But now I find that moms with husbands are buying gifts for their children on that day!
My daughter, 47, went to a boutique and they were having a 75% off sale. She bought a $200 wristwatch for her teenage daughter for Valentine's Day! Is this normal to you? I'm old and the way I was brought up the kids of the household were not treated like royalty. They made their parents cards for Valentine's. Isn't it a day for sweethearts?
What do you feel about this era of spoiled kids raised to think they're something very special on holidays and that parents can be ignored?
I am sure your parents said the same thing about your generation too. It is a generational thing to do that. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 11:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It was? I didn't get that but OK.
Neither did I.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:09 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
I always gave my kids a little box of the candy hearts with messages on them, plus a little bit of chocolate & a funny, cute card on V day, plus they exchanged cards with their classmates. They looked forward to it.

Spouse & I keep V day simple, as we feel it became too commercialized...spending top-dollar for flowers, gifts and V day dinner out is not romantic!

Old 02-06-2017, 01:16 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It was? I didn't get that but OK.

Okay, someone read the OP and highlighted this sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
They made their parents cards for Valentine's
then wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Man that is some creepy stuff. Valentines is about romantic love. I don't know what kind of lesson that was sending the kids. Weird ass parenting for sure. Gives me the shivers.
And you did not get that it was sarcasm/a joke? You thought the poster really thought that little kids making cards for their parents is weird and creepy? Did you think the incest comment was serious, too?

Old 02-06-2017, 01:26 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Valentines Day in our house is when mommy buys 20 pieces of crap for each kid to hand out to their classmates, and makes the kids write everyone's name on each one. And daddy buys mommy an overpriced heart shaped container of chocolate for her trouble (purchased on Feb 15th, at 50% off, because that's how mommy likes it).

Works for us.

Now I will say that my own mother occasionally likes to give me an expensive present, like a nice piece of jewelry. But I am an established self-sufficient career woman in my late 30's, and my mom is retired from a life of working hard and being frugal. If it makes her happy to give me something nice, then by golly I'm going to appreciate it.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:36 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Or a Dust Buster.

My favorite gifts are quality cleaning appliances. A few years back I got a Dyson cordless. Revolutionized how I cleaned the kitchen. The next year, I got a Bissell spot cleaner. Took two hours to clean 7 years worth of stains on the carpet. This Christmas I got a Dyson Ball. That thing is AMAZING. Like I literally don't have to take Claritin anymore because of how well it vacuums up all the dust amazing.

*Some* women like practical gifts, thank you very much.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:39 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Just dont celebrate. Life WILL go on!

Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
My mom used to give us candy and a card on Valentine's Day when we were kids. We had parties with cupcakes, candy, and cards at school. None of us were dating or married in kindergarten.

Why is it crazy to celebrate your love for someone? You can love someone and not married to or dating them. Shocking I know!

Old 02-06-2017, 01:56 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
My favorite gifts are quality cleaning appliances. A few years back I got a Dyson cordless. Revolutionized how I cleaned the kitchen. The next year, I got a Bissell spot cleaner. Took two hours to clean 7 years worth of stains on the carpet. This Christmas I got a Dyson Ball. That thing is AMAZING. Like I literally don't have to take Claritin anymore because of how well it vacuums up all the dust amazing.

*Some* women like practical gifts, thank you very much.

Well, right on, then! Good for you! Sorry my humor was over your head.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:46 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I have two girls and I have always given them a little trinket or some kind of candy for Vday. Why not? Their my sweethearts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting