Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:50 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with a simple cake and ice cream party with just the parents, siblings, any close relatives living in the area, and her closest friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 06:15 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
I'm sorry, but I think this is hogwash. Over the years my kids have been invited to numerous parties planned by parents I didn't really know. We also have invited many kids from families I did not really know. It's not always easy to interact with parents of kids your children go to school with. My children ride the bus to and from school every day, and so I'm not at the school too often. When my kids were little I often did get to know parents at birthday parties. I also would meet some parents at after school activities, but not all of my kids' friends do the same activities. I am not sure why you would demand that your child only befriend kids whose parents you are also friends with. That is too limiting to me.

I would absolutely go ahead and have the party. We have parties for our kids without worrying about the number of invitations they may or may not have received to other parties. We have found some parents and areas are bigger on birthday parties than others. In our old state, large birthday parties were common. Where we live now, many kids just have family parties or may invite one or two friends over for an activity. We like birthday parties though so we keep having them.
For a child younger than 8? Absolutely.

My neighbor dropped her kid off at a school friend's house, she didn't know the parents. The parents spent the afternoon smoking pot in the garage while her kid got sunburned in the yard while the older brother was cursing at them (his brother and her kid). This is in a "good" area. My neighbor, who is a good mom, was in shock. She felt like cr-p for a week, and her kid is NEVER allowed over there, ever.

So yeah, when they are still young, and my kid is in THEIR HOME, I want to know the parents.

If she wants to plan a party she better know that some kids are going to attend. To set her daughter up for disappointment is downright cruel.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
For a child younger than 8? Absolutely.

My neighbor dropped her kid off at a school friend's house, she didn't know the parents. The parents spent the afternoon smoking pot in the garage while her kid got sunburned in the yard while the older brother was cursing at them (his brother and her kid). This is in a "good" area. My neighbor, who is a good mom, was in shock. She felt like cr-p for a week, and her kid is NEVER allowed over there, ever.

So yeah, when they are still young, and my kid is in THEIR HOME, I want to know the parents.

If she wants to plan a party she better know that some kids are going to attend. To set her daughter up for disappointment is downright cruel.
So if you don't invite them, how do you meet them?

Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,884 times
I appreciate this thread. We're planning the first b-day party for my soon to be 4 year old. She's in preschool, but this place in also a daycare, and she's been there for years so I know a number of the parents via other kids bday parties. Fortunately, they all have cubby's and mail slots where the invites go.

Next year she'll be going to kindergarten at a new school. I have no idea how I will get to know the parents. We'll have to see how that goes. Hopefully I will just run into people when I pick up. No plans to use the bus at this point.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:33 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
So our DD's bday is coming up soon. Last year was her first birthday party ever. We invited her whole pre-k class, spend a lot of money for one at one of those bday centers and half came. She had a blast. This year we planned on throwing her one again. but somewhere much less expensive. We were not going to invite the whole class, but instead all the girls, there's 10. And I'm banking that half won't come like last year. She doesn't have any cousins/ no outside children to invite except for 1 girl in her dance class who she went to school with last year.

The only reason I was iffy about it now is bc DD has not been invited to ANY birthday parties from her class this year, which I did find a little strange. Last year, she had been invited to 4. I know for a fact she's very social, get told this by her teacher all the time. and def. has many friends. She has a best friend whom she talks about often. I'm not "friends" with any of the parents and find some to be a little cliquey. At class parties, there is one group whose kids were in the same class last year (dd went to a different preschoool) who all stay by one another and don't socialize with anyone else. And there's like one or two moms I've chit chatted with here or there. I know there was one party she was not invited to in the beginning of the school year and her and this girl are very good friends now.

So, would the fact that she wasn't invited to any parties deter you from throwing her a party if she really wanted one? Since she takes the bus to and from school I'm not at the school to hand the invites out. I was going to just ask the teacher to put the invites in the girls folders.
The way to get invited to parties is to invite people to your parties. I used to invite the whole class every year, and still get invites to parties even though the kids aren't in my son's class anymore. So yes, invite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting