Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Using a belt on a child isnt being abusive.... it is in my books... jeez what are you people thinking.. hitting a child with any object just isnt on.. all you create is hatred, lack of respect and a child who thinks hitting is ok and so it goes..
Really... both of my last two exes (they are brothers) got whacked by their mother when they got out of line. Ask any Latino(a) about getting spanked with chancletas and they will all start nodding in the affirmative, because it happened to them too.

Their mom passed away in 2011, and it is an understatement to say they miss her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This really got me thinking. You said the 3-year-old pinches only when she's mad at her older brothers. Could this be her way of self-defense? Are they teasing her, taking her toys, or provoking her physically? (Poking, tickling, whatever) She has the right to defend herself. I don't think kids should be told they're not allowed to use the one method they have to defend themselves against older siblings bullying them. Instead, parents should get to the bottom of the situation, and punish the bullies.

What happens with little girls who have older brothers (or sometimes--younger brothers) who are bullies, is that they defend themselves any way they can. This might be with pinching, depending on age, or scratching. In my limited observation, typically they're told that type of thing isn't allowed, but no one asks what provoked it, and tells the boys that bullying isn't allowed. This sends all the wrong messages to both sides, and can set girls up to tolerate abuse as young women. It also sets boys up to have a sense of entitlement, as well as impunity from being held accountable.

That's probably not the situation in your family, @cyberfx, but I thought I'd mention this, since we're on the topic.

I was the youngest of five children with very absent parents. When I was seven I cut my fingernails to a sharp point. When they thought it would be fun to strip me naked and throw me out in the front yard, they got a nasty surprise.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:28 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
what is.... maybe too much violence caused this childs behaviour in the first place..
I would not have dared biting another kid out of fear from punishment from my parents.

This child clearly is already ruling her house because she does what she wants and there are no consequences.

I'll rather apply some VIOLENCE and give her a little slap on the mouth than spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on counseling or having her growing up turning more and more into an entitled monster.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:17 PM

372 posts, read 522,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The only thing I've ever seen work to break a child of biting is for the parent to bite them back. ( obviously, not hard enough to leave a bruise). It usually works in one try.
My son, who was then two years old, picked up biting from other kids in his daycare. The first time he did it to me, I bit him back--and that was the end of that.

Problem solved.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:30 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrygal View Post
My son, who was then two years old, picked up biting from other kids in his daycare. The first time he did it to me, I bit him back--and that was the end of that.

Problem solved.
how violent!

hahhaha, good for you! Some things are just .. simple.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:36 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrygal View Post

Problem solved.
Yep. Me too.

Now excuse me while I go report myself to child (this kid is now 23) services.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:37 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Really... both of my last two exes (they are brothers) got whacked by their mother when they got out of line. Ask any Latino(a) about getting spanked with chancletas and they will all start nodding in the affirmative, because it happened to them too.

Their mom passed away in 2011, and it is an understatement to say they miss her.
I dont know what Chanceletas are...

Old 03-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
how violent!

hahhaha, good for you! Some things are just .. simple.
This advice was passed on to me by my Mother, who said she had the same problem with my sister---and solved it with one bite.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yep. Me too.

Now excuse me while I go report myself to child (this kid is now 23) services.
Yea, same here. Mine is now 39.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:22 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times
I have not read all the comments so maybe this has already been said.

We had a set of triplet girls and the first born started biting the other two around 2 1/2 years of age. We never saw it happen. One day they were in their room for a nap and we heard screaming. We opened the door and the oldest was on the floor and the other 2 were on her biting her legs. We closed the door and let the 2 continue. Oldest never bit anyone again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting