Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
I am NOT a parent but I was a child and any form of training, education or PREPARATIONS for life would be what a smart parent would do FOR their child. Our parents DID NOT help us very much so we had to learn the HARD WAY about a lot of things in life. Two females in this family were RAPED all because their inadequate parents did not arm them with enough information to prevent it from happening to them! One girl/survivor is an alcoholic now and the other girl/woman just survived CANCER of the throat!!!
Parents are still raising girls to be "nice", instead of raising them to be aware of inappropriate behavior and speech, manipulative behavior, etc., and to be assertive and leave at any sign that someone means them harm. They're not raised to listen to their gut instincts, and to watch for red flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Exactly! Common sense, people.

Or we could reverse the question argue about that instead:

If you have a son, how does it feel knowing you could be raising a rapist?

(Both questions are RIDICULOUS)
Some parents raise boys to feel they're above the law, or that they can do what they want without consequences. Those are potential rapists.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
Neither question is ridiculous and the answer to both (yours and the OP's) is likely "it feels terrifying." That said, the questions are not equivalent.

There is an enormous difference that comes down to power and control. Someone who is beaten, raped, catcalled, etc. has something done to them - they are victims of someone else's power being imposed upon them. A son that grows up to be a rapist is the one perpetrating the violence, hence he has the power/control in that situation.
I find both questions ridiculous and paranoid. If you think that your daughter will grow up to be raped and your son will grow up o be rapist then something is probably seriously wrong with your outlook & environment and your opinion of your parenting skills.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Parents are still raising girls to be "nice", instead of raising them to be aware of inappropriate behavior and speech, manipulative behavior, etc., and to be assertive and leave at any sign that someone means them harm. They're not raised to listen to their gut instincts, and to watch for red flags.

There is nothing wrong about both being nice, caring and warm person and being aware and not tolerating "inappropriate behavior and speech". Not exactly sure what being assertive really means in this context. Many feminists use this word to really describe a man hating drama queen and I hope my daughter does not grow to become that.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:27 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
There is nothing wrong about both being nice, caring and warm person and being aware and not tolerating "inappropriate behavior and speech". Not exactly sure what being assertive really means in this context. Many feminists use this word to really describe a man hating drama queen and I hope my daughter does not grow to become that.
I agree imo too many women in the U.S. have become total cold hearted b's. I actually know of one woman that is raising her 5 year old daughter to borderline hate men it's like something out of Great Expectations and Estella, Miss Havisham's daughter. This woman is definitely a feminist and made some really bad decisions in regards to who she married...she of course never blames herself. She has a horrible attitude and she is attracted to, and attracts the bad boy type.

This is another reason I don't like feminists they're all about not treating men well.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:08 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
How do you feel
I think a lot of dads would feel like "Uncle Phil" when he used to throw out Jazz - the guy who hit on his daughter with "unwelcome advances"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubvXZ9PCmk

Old 04-30-2017, 01:56 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
I find both questions ridiculous and paranoid. If you think that your daughter will grow up to be raped and your son will grow up o be rapist then something is probably seriously wrong with your outlook & environment and your opinion of your parenting skills.
Perhaps parents should think in such terms, if from the angle of "just in case".

Something I noticed growing up is that my father would tell me things and it seemed he assumed that I knew exactly what he meant.......while I was taking other situations from his examples.

Long story short, be very clear on what you mean.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
It means recognizing manipulative and inappropriate behavior, and not being afraid to exit a situation where that's taking place. It means speaking up to say "no". Many women aren't comfortable speaking up, drawing boundaries, or leaving (or telling someone to leave), for fear of being considered "rude".

Old 04-30-2017, 10:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
It's a real concern in this day and age.

Hell, the President of the United States said:

Quote:

I moved on her and I failed. I’ll admit it.

I did try and f*** her. She was married.

I moved on her like a b**ch, but I couldn’t get there. And she was married.

Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony t**s and everything. She’s totally changed her look.

I’ve gotta use some Tic Tacs, just in case I start kissing her.

You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait.

And when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything…

Grab them by the p***y. You can do anything.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:08 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You people who are relying on karate and the like are kidding yourselves and watching too many movies and TV. Most women are considerably smaller than their attackers and they are the ones being taken by surprise.
Guess what? I agree with you on this one 100%!

It’s hard trying to raise girls when TV & movies (& even some books), show some 110 lb, 20-something in high heels pulling fast moves & taking down 2-3 bad guys at once. They actually start to thing that’s the way it works & it’s not.

I know of one woman that fought at the amateur level in the ring; she’s was a sheriff’s deputy, about 6’ tall & built like a linebacker. She was the exception to the rule.

My twin girls attitudes were so flip when the Jessica Ridgeway case was going on, that I sat them down with me to look at the missing children’s database to show them the actual reports of abductions & how in the blink of an eye; a grown man could grab them up like a football & stuff them in a trunk. One of them started to cry & said: “Mom! Your just trying to scare us!” & I told her she was right.

Actually, I was trying to counteract the dangerously wrong portrayal of their own vulnerability that they were being exposed to, with some reality. I wish this propaganda would just stop; these girls actually think they would be fighting a fair fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting