Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 06:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Hmm....That's a tough one, he likely didn't want to send his daughter into the ladies bathroom alone. But, he should have checked in the men's room before walking her in there imo. Those of you schooling the OP on his reaction to having a female child walk in unexpectedly while he has his penis out going to the bathroom should lighten up. Anyone would be caught off guard.

Dad is not a smart man. He should have asked a woman shopper for help.
If you're so afraid of her going into a restroom alone why would you put her in the care of a stranger, even if it's a woman? Because you really think there's a GUY hiding in there? ...silly. Nasty people can work in pairs ya know.

But seriously, if you're that worried, maybe a kid should only go out with a same-sex parent or only go to places with a family restroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 06:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Having two daughters I never had the problem, but my husband always sent them to the women's when he was alone with them. There was never a problem, all I can say.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:10 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Respectfully, the particulars doesn't change my opinion. To be fair, if I didn't have kids, my viewpoint might be different. But I do have kids. I have come out of a bathroom stall many times and have seen young boys standing (usually near the sink area) waiting for their moms to finish using the bathroom. It just didn't faze me each time.

And yes, one time as I was exiting the stall, I saw a man and his daughter enter the women's bathroom so she could use the bathroom. She was probably 7-10 years old. I said, "hi" and he said, "my daughter doesn't want to use the men's bathroom." And I said something like, "no problem," and left.

It just doesn't bother me.
But why in the world would it bother you in a women's restroom where there are ALWAYS stalls? Nobody can see ANYTHING or anyone's junk.

It's men's rooms that are more at issue, if you want to call it that.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 AM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I stopped bringing my daughter into the men's room when she was about 6. Started sending her on her own into the ladies' room, and I'd stand guard outside. She didn't like it at first, but got used to it pretty quick. Sometimes have needed to ask a nearby woman to poke her head in and see why she was taking so long; they're always glad to do it.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:05 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But why in the world would it bother you in a women's restroom where there are ALWAYS stalls? Nobody can see ANYTHING or anyone's junk.

Do you have a belief that junk be a flying around in the men's room? I've been using a men's room all my life and can count on one hand the number of exposed junk I have seen.

For Christ sake's why do we put so much effort into how people relive themselves, walk in, do your business and leave. I could not care less if someone walked in with their daughter to use the restroom, why because I'm not hanging out in there.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:40 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I wouldn't take my kids in to the men's room because they are gross.
Serious question, are you saying men are gross, or men's rooms are gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My wife and daughter tell me of grossness that occurs in women's rooms that far exceed anything I've ever seen in a men's room.
Holy Moley, now I'm seriously intrigued, I must have led a sheltered life.
My sons are way too old now for me to recall what my wife did in this situation, but I'd guess that she took them into the ladies room until they were 6 or 7, then waited for them outside the men's room when they were older.
When my granddaughter was around 5, I was in a department store with her and she needed to go, she said, "Take me to the ladies grandpa, and wait for me, okay?"
Please forgive a dumb limey, but I have no idea what a "family rest-room" looks like, if we have them over here, I don't think I've seen one, I get a mental image of something like a doctor's waiting room, with chairs and magazines, with another door that opens to a room with stalls one side, and urinals the other, and one wall is a row of sinks, but that virtually describes a men's room, so surely that's not right, is it?

Old 04-14-2017, 09:24 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

I've been in thousands of men's rooms in retail stores. I've never, ever seen any penis other than my own. "Don't show, don't look" is a strong point of etiquette in men's rooms.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Please forgive a dumb limey, but I have no idea what a "family rest-room" looks like, if we have them over here, I don't think I've seen one, I get a mental image of something like a doctor's waiting room, with chairs and magazines, with another door that opens to a room with stalls one side, and urinals the other, and one wall is a row of sinks, but that virtually describes a men's room, so surely that's not right, is it?
A "family rest-room" is essentially like a residential half-bath. It's a one-occupant room with a sink and a toilet bowl (commode, john) with a little more room for diaper changing. And a lock on the door.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
"Off guard" is one thing. If it was only "off guard" a man would say, "What is that? Ah, shoot," and then not think of the issue again. Most men wouldn't carry an aggravation around display kvetch online about it.
Yet you commented, several times. So it was interesting as a thread obviously.
Many people start threads about many issues on this forum. I don't think critiquing the OP for starting a thread about this should be part of the dialogue.

I cannot imagine being put into that awkward situation as the OP described and not being put off by it.

Quote:
"As we've seen in this thread, not all women are interested in that task--he may not have found a woman who both looked trustworthy and was willing in time (little girls like to wait until the last minute before they let someone know they have to pee...I know this from experience), and some women are evil.
All possibilities....

But it shouldn't have kept the father from trying. Or as others suggested, stepping into the men's room, making sure it was clear, and then standing out side the door to keep men out until his daughter was finished. All would have been a better option....The very least he should have ushered her in to avoid her standing there staring at the OP's "junk"

Last edited by JanND; 04-14-2017 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: rework quotes

Old 04-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
All possibilities....

But it shouldn't have kept the father from trying. Or as others suggested, stepping into the men's room, making sure it was clear, and then standing out side the door to keep men out until his daughter was finished.

"Daddy, I have to go right now!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting