Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:56 AM

36 posts, read 176,756 times

Advertisements

I need to buy writing board for my kid who will be 3 in few months.
I would like a board to teach him (me writing on it) and also allow him to draw or scribble and practice. You would have guessed now, its for saving the walls!!!
When I checked some good brands, it is about $200.
Can anyone guide me to find cheaper & gud ones? Am okay if I have to really pay that price but I think some of you might be knowing where to look for cheaper ones.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
are you looking for a small chalk board or dry erase? or something you can maybe spray on a wall that becomes like a chalk board?
my son has a chalk and dry erase easle from ikea--i think $40

Old 03-07-2008, 11:56 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
are you looking for a small chalk board or dry erase? or something you can maybe spray on a wall that becomes like a chalk board?
my son has a chalk and dry erase easle from ikea--i think $40
That's what I was going to suggest. My daughter's is from Toys R Us-had the dry erase, chalk board and a clip for one of those big pads of paper. I think it was around $40. If you're looking for something bigger to put up on the wall, why not just go to Staples or something and get a couple dry erase boards.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:05 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
You can go to Home Depot and buy some chalk board paint and literally turn any surface into a chalk board. I believe they sell white board (or dry erase) in large sheets as well...You could attach it to a large piece of wood and there ya have it...

Old 03-07-2008, 01:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss.mmm View Post
I need to buy writing board for my kid who will be 3 in few months.
I would like a board to teach him (me writing on it) and also allow him to draw or scribble and practice. You would have guessed now, its for saving the walls!!!
When I checked some good brands, it is about $200.
Can anyone guide me to find cheaper & gud ones? Am okay if I have to really pay that price but I think some of you might be knowing where to look for cheaper ones.

thanks.
The scrap exchange in Downtown Durham has those little lap sized chalkboards for just a couple of dollars. If you are looking for a small one for the table or car or such.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:33 PM

36 posts, read 176,756 times
Thanks for all your suggestions.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
We bought a HUGE (about 5 or 6 foot long) whiteboard from a garage sale for $7... then realized we have no room or wall space on it... if you live near me in COS, I'll sell it to you for what we purchased it for... right now it's just taking up space in the garage.

Last edited by sskkc; 03-07-2008 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: added size of board

Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 AM

324 posts, read 1,706,970 times
What about an easel? They have them at craft stores and toy store, usually one side is dry erase and the other chalk board.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
What is it you intend to teach him? My guess would be writing? If so there are all sorts of options that are fun and effective.

For instance..something he would consider a toy instead of 'work' is a Magna Doodle. On this you can not only write but play a version of pictionary to help him with words and have him write/draw to practice his fine motor skills which are needed to write. No mess and something he can do without supervision!

If you think he might learn better through sensory means, then use a black container that comes from a frozen dinner or a small tray and pour a small layer of salt in it. Have him use his fingers to draw letters. Simply shake it a tad bit to erase and do it again. If he makes a mess, it's very easy to clean up!

If you want him putting pencil/paper type writing, try Crayola Color Wonder Markers. Though a little more costly, there is abolutely no worry about getting it on anything as it ONLY colors on the designated paper. There is paper that has hidden pictures that are fun to discover and there is paper that has nothing where he can simply write or free draw.

If you are looking for something for you to write on for him to visually see what you are doing, then regular pieces of paper actually work best because he can take them with him to 'study'.

Chalkboards are great for temporary writing/drawing and along with what the others have said about just painting on the wall, you can do this in a much smaller way as well so that it can be mobile. Take a large piece of cardboard and paint it with the chalk paint, then keep it and chalk in an empty detergent box with a handle.

Dry erase boards are fun, since you can use all kinds of colors, yet they are fairly expensive to maintain. Markers dry up very easily, especially with kids who rarely remember to put the lids back on and those markers are not cheap.

Anyway, it depends on what your actual goal is here.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:56 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Dry erase boards are NOT a good idea with toddlers, trust me, I know. We had one, hung it in our basement play room thinking it would be great to have to color on, etc. Well, the markers stain EVERYTHING. You can't get them out of clothing, off toys, OFF THE WALL WHEN THEY MISS, nothing. As they wipe down the board that dust that is created settles on the wall and when you take the board down you have this lovely dark outline of where the whiteboard was.

Get a chalk board if you want to teach your kids to color on the walls--which by the way, they don't really get the difference between why it is ok to color on the chalkboard and walking down the hallway dragging the crayon along the wall, with both hands . Kids gotta love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting