Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I think it really depends what era you grew up in. If you grew up in the 50s I don't think people were as educated or aware as we are today. It's not like they had CT scans or MRIs back then.

My mom grew up and in the 50s and basically all the neighborhood moms would lock their kids outside to play all day long with no supervision -- including toddlers. This sounds insane to me as a mom.

Head injuries are a big deal now. Today if your toddler was knocked unconscious and you didn't take them for care right away hopefully CPS would be involved and investigating for medical neglect and/or abuse.
Although plenty of people post about being very "free range" in the 50s, 60s, 70s, even sometimes the 1980s, you never see a parent post of having done any of the bold. No one locked their kids out all day long. Memories are fallible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 08:21 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,942,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Although plenty of people post about being very "free range" in the 50s, 60s, 70s, even sometimes the 1980s, you never see a parent post of having done any of the bold. No one locked their kids out all day long. Memories are fallible.
I agree. We played outside in the neighborhood mostly, but we were never locked out of our houses. I grew up in the 50s and we were pretty free range, but always had access to our houses and my mom at least was home cleaning the house or cooking or doing other chores.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I agree. We played outside in the neighborhood mostly, but we were never locked out of our houses. I grew up in the 50s and we were pretty free range, but always had access to our houses and my mom at least was home cleaning the house or cooking or doing other chores.
Exactly! And although my own mom was pretty laid back, lots of moms had rules like "be home by noon for lunch". Even my mom, if we had something going on, wanted us back home at a certain time. Sometimes we just played at home, too.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:56 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,712,039 times
My sister fainted in PE class in first grade, and my parents were not even informed about it.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:11 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I think it really depends what era you grew up in. If you grew up in the 50s I don't think people were as educated or aware as we are today. It's not like they had CT scans or MRIs back then.

My mom grew up and in the 50s and basically all the neighborhood moms would lock their kids outside to play all day long with no supervision -- including toddlers. This sounds insane to me as a mom.

Head injuries are a big deal now. Today if your toddler was knocked unconscious and you didn't take them for care right away hopefully CPS would be involved and investigating for medical neglect and/or abuse.
Not that being knocked unconscious really happens that often in real life. As I said before, being unconscious several minutes is called "coma," and there are usually effects that last long enough that even back "in the day," parents would have sought the closest help possible. It's not like the movies--people aren't knocked out for an hour and then jump up and chase bad guys.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:13 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I was a "free range" kid in the late 50s and 60s, but, no, my folks certainly never locked the door. They just didn't expect to see me until I got hungry.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
Unconscious due to unknown cause? Absolutely.

Knocked unconscious? Without a doubt.

Choked unconscious as in a sport? Well, that's the iffy one for it sometimes happened with my teen friends back when I was learning judo. Of course these days, I am so far removed from what they teach in sport, I don't know what the response should be.

Unconscious due to a known cause? I'd probably err on the side of caution and have it checked out. There are so many conditions where the common person might assume that everything is okay because one "got better"....and that is not case.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Unconscious due to unknown cause? Absolutely.

Knocked unconscious? Without a doubt.

Choked unconscious as in a sport? Well, that's the iffy one for it sometimes happened with my teen friends back when I was learning judo. Of course these days, I am so far removed from what they teach in sport, I don't know what the response should be.

Unconscious due to a known cause? I'd probably err on the side of caution and have it checked out. There are so many conditions where the common person might assume that everything is okay because one "got better"....and that is not case.
Unconscious is unconscious regardless of the reason. Err on the side of caution.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:35 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,042,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Right, I'm questioning things, and whether injuries I sustained as a child, were actually accidental.

Apparently, as a toddler, I was "found" unconscious after falling out of my cot, and my parents say they don't know how long I'd been that way, but I was unconscious for at least half an hour longer. I'd been locked in that room so my mother could ignore me while I was in pain. (Apparently, her doctor told her to do so!)

No doctor or ambulance was ever called, so I was never checked out for injuries.

This is just one of many niggling questions, that seem only to be able to have answers that point to abuse of one kind or another.

Why, if there is a reason, wouldn't someone care enough about their child, to call for, or take it for help?

I won't be getting into the usual arguments about this, but would just like to throw the question out there, just for answers.
Well my kids are accident prone. In the last two years, daughter was in sledding accident resulted in stitches on her face, and fractured her nose playing baseball. Son has split his head open twice and been in a sledding accident. Every time they were taken immediately to the ER.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:07 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,735,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That in itself sounds like neglect if a child is unsupervised and allowed to be in such situations as to be injured so frequently (whether you literally meant twice a day or not).
Judging solely from this one comment, my guess is that you either do not have children or that you have one or two very docile children.

My son got bumps and bruises like any child, but my daughter was Miss Daredevil and would have lumps on her head, had her forehead glued shut twice, fell and chipped her four front teeth, got a black eye once, pulled out a drawer so hard that it actually fell on her foot and broke her big toenail (which was bleeding and turned black until it fell off), etc. She was absolutely a kid who I could take in every day for some bump or knock or bruise or scrape. Alas, I did not do so and she was fine. I did take her in to get her head glued. And I called a few times when she got a big head bump, but was always told the same thing (watch her for concussion symptoms), so then I stopped calling.

As for the OP, yes, of course I'd call 911 if one of my kids were unconscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting