Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 AM

628 posts, read 695,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If your only making 7/hr. you shouldn't be starting a family.

WOW! Those are HARSH words!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJoy View Post

No they're not. $7 an hour only grosses $14,000 a year. A single person with no car would have a hard time living decently on that.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:15 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
How do they feel about footing the bill for public school? How do non-readers feel about subsidizing libraries? And how do people who don't have house fires feel about paying for the firefighters to put out fires for those who do have them? My kids are way past the age to need daycare and we don't use the public schools, but I have no problem with my tax dollars going to those programs, because they strengthen society in general.
How does paying for everyone's babysitter strengthen society?

Public school = education. Serves the general public
Libraries serve the general public. Aside from books, free computer use, wifi, books on tape, childrens services.
Public servants (firefighters) again serve the general public. You dont know when/if your house may catch fire.
Daycare = babysitting service.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:17 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJoy View Post

Those are true words. You seriously believe you can support and raise a child on $7/hr?

Old 05-17-2017, 04:04 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
Well having children isnt easy it seems for many. I see people who want free daycare or people who want to be on paid maternity leave for a year.

I also see people say they need 2 incomes which is why they cant stay home. Im thinking plenty of people dont necessarily need two incomes and could live off one but feel pressured to have 2 for extras like vacations, top brand clothes, going out to eat frequently etc. Im sure plenty of people would do ok on one income if they budgeted better.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:21 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How does paying for everyone's babysitter strengthen society?

Public school = education. Serves the general public
Libraries serve the general public. Aside from books, free computer use, wifi, books on tape, childrens services.
Public servants (firefighters) again serve the general public. You dont know when/if your house may catch fire.
Daycare = babysitting service.
It can get families out of poverty. When a mom can't return to work because she can't pay for daycare, then the family suffers. Getting a family out of poverty before the kids are school aged might mean that those children aren't in the free lunch program later, the parents can pay for tutoring, and the kids are likely to get off to a better start than they would if mom was home earning nothing. Also, daycare serves an educational function. Many daycare programs function as a preschool of sorts from the age of about two on. This can set up kids to do better in kindergarten, first grade, and so on.

Besides the kids, paying for daycare gives women in general more options. I'm about 40, and I know a good handful of moms who want to get out of bad marriages but cannot do so because they took years off of work to stay home with their young children. When the time comes to go back to work, they're stuck working minimum-wage jobs. Paying for childcare could reduce this concern. It's in society's best interest to have women able to support themselves if need be. If nothing else, it keeps the welfare rolls down.

I'm saying this as someone who stayed home, budgeted and made it work on one moderate income, and homeschooled my children (so we didn't use the public schools). I am not getting a divorce (we've been happily married for almost 19 years now), I have my own company and my own income now, etc. So I'm not coming at this from the viewpoint of someone who needs this help. I can just see how it would benefit us as a society as well as individual families.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post

I also see people say they need 2 incomes which is why they cant stay home. Im thinking plenty of people dont necessarily need two incomes and could live off one but feel pressured to have 2 for extras like vacations, top brand clothes, going out to eat frequently etc. Im sure plenty of people would do ok on one income if they budgeted better.
Are you include yourself among those?

Quote:
So I have a son who will be 3 in May and a daughter who will be 10 months tomorrow. I'm 38, work full time, DH and I have a nice lifestyle, but hate how much childcare costs

Old 05-17-2017, 04:24 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Well having children isnt easy it seems for many. I see people who want free daycare or people who want to be on paid maternity leave for a year.

I do not disagree with you in some cases; we made it work on one income when my kids were small. But that income was $40-50K per year (15ish years ago). If both parents are making $10 or $12 per hour, that's not going to be enough to support a family and pay daycare or allow one of them to quit and stay home, even if they never buy brand name clothing or go out to eat. We were fairly frugal to make it work and my husband was making way more than minimum wage.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:

And such frivolosities as helping their kids with college, saving for retirement, and having the means to help care for their aging parents.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
And such frivolosities as helping their kids with college, saving for retirement, and having the means to help care for their aging parents.
Retirement? Retirement is for sissies, along with health care and savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting