Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:22 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

While adults may see it for the satire it is, children may come away with a warped perspective.
Equally possible, is to suppress the child's access to (or conversations about) anyone who looks outside of the 'norm' for their entire childhood and then at some point (inevitably) see them enter into the society only to discover that their entire experience as a child was, effectively, a warped version of reality.

Which type of warped perspective is better in the long run? I guess that's the question which is up for debate.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,540,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Equally possible, is to suppress the child's access to (or conversations about) anyone who looks outside of the 'norm' for their entire childhood and then at some point (inevitably) see them enter into the society only to discover that their entire experience as a child was, effectively, a warped version of reality.

Which type of warped perspective is better in the long run? I guess that's the question which is up for debate.
Yep, unless you live in a bubble in the middle of BF nowhere, kids are eventually going to see people who look outside of the "norm".

If adults don't make a big deal out of it, the kids won't either. They are just accepting until their minds get twisted by prejudism.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:03 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
The little kids pictured sitting in their mom's laps at this program looked like three year olds, not five year olds (who are not generally accompanied to story time by their parents). At that age, story time needs to focus on the story, not the storyteller.

Goals would be increasing attention spans and vocabulary, stimulating imagination, involving the children in the story through asking key questions throughout the presentation, calling the children's attention to the illustrations, building social skills, and so on. If the text of the story repeats, children would be invited to recite it along with the storyteller. A simple craft might follow, to reinforce the story. Participatory songs, poetry, and games might also be part of preschool story time. Since this is a public library, it would be the usual practice to have the same story teller each week, with the exception of special story times now and then. Perhaps this program was considered a "special story time" rather than a weekly event.

Flamboyant costuming and heavy make-up on a man dressed as an over-the-top woman would be big distractions to most three year olds. I'd bet good money this program included a lot of very confused, distracted, interrupting and wiggly little kids who were not particularly interested in the story.

That particular drag queen looks pretty scary, actually, and I can see why some of the children in the picture look a little apprehensive.

So - a drag queen library program would be better aimed at and more appreciated by a teen-age and adult audience. Presenting a skit or informative program about the drag world would be appropriate for teens and adults, but - but preschool story time's target audience would not benefit. I don't think any particular harm would be done - but don't think much benefit would occur at that tender age, either.

So keep the drag queens, but put them to more appropriate use and connect them with the most apt audience, teens and adults. Otherwise, Drag Queen Preschool Story Time will be a waste of time and effort.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:09 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Cuz god cares more about what's in people's pants and what they do in the bedroom than love and caring. Jesus would be horrified.
Maybe they discount that because he wore a dress and probably had long hair, you know, like a 'girl'?

Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Oh, I am sure your grand kids will have no trouble learning that. Think it over though what you are saying.

I would pass myself, my kids and grandkids if given that special opportunity. While not all people are the same, there is just a point where celebrating differences needs to tempered with commonsense.
You're in Kansas. This took place in NYC. A totally different element. It's like comparing Earth and Mars. NYC is VERY liberal and open minded. Drag queens have been quite normal in NYC for decades. Again, if you don't liek it, don't go. No one is being forced at gun point to go.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And when the 5 yr olds start pulling mommies clothes out of the closet for daddy when he goes to work. Daddy wear this dress, daddy you need makeup, here's your pretty shoes for work. Why won't you wear a wig to work Daddy?

Why do 5 year-olds need exposure to gender "fluidity"? What is the purpose of shoving this non-science-based concept on them, except to brainwash them before they have critical thinking skills to actually DISCUSS it with understanding?

Please watch the Bill Nye Saves the World videos. Here's another one where the vanilla ice cream -- the heterosexual ice cream -- is shamed and forced via conversion therapy into joining a bisexual orgy. Think I'm kidding?? WATCH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46h-LfNWPn8

It is spectacular in that it is offensive to both gays and conservatives at the same time.

And people still think there is no agenda. Open your eyes.
This is hilarious! When I was 3, I would walk around in my dad's shoes. NEVER my mom's. I would also walk around the house in white t-shirts as a child. Once I start art, I would wear his old work shirts as my smocks. No one said anything about me wearing these things. No one forced me to wear them. No one ever asked me to wear them. I did it because they were my dad's and I thought he was cool. Nothing more. Nothing less. I didn't grow up to be gay, transgender, a cross dresser, or anything else related. I somehow still managed to grow up to be a straight woman who married a straight man. Oh and I still wear mens clothes.....my husband has some great warm flannel shirts!

Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh my. Its ok for kids to believe in unreal characters like a fat man in a red suit that travels in a sleigh pulled by magic reindeer, a giant rabbit that lays colored eggs and brings them candy and a winged fairy that gives them money for their teeth but real flamboyant men acting like women, reading to them steals their innocence.
At least drag queens are real and not made up lies we perpetuate and spoon feed our children.
Don't forget that Santa, Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy break into homes. Breaking and entering is a crime. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone becoming a burglar because of Santa.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Don't ever see a play. Don't ever watch Sesame Street. Don't ever watch a tv show. Don't read history! The horror that MEN used to wear wigs in public and in congress! In the UK, parliament still wears wigs, but it's fading away. Judges and barristers wore wigs until recently. Oh and it gets worse.....they were long black gowns too! They must all be freaks! Freaks for over 3 centuries.
And in most productions of Peter Pan, Peter is played by a woman dressed like a boy. The horror!

Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The little kids pictured sitting in their mom's laps at this program looked like three year olds, not five year olds (who are not generally accompanied to story time by their parents). At that age, story time needs to focus on the story, not the storyteller.

Goals would be increasing attention spans and vocabulary, stimulating imagination, involving the children in the story through asking key questions throughout the presentation, calling the children's attention to the illustrations, building social skills, and so on. If the text of the story repeats, children would be invited to recite it along with the storyteller. A simple craft might follow, to reinforce the story. Participatory songs, poetry, and games might also be part of preschool story time. Since this is a public library, it would be the usual practice to have the same story teller each week, with the exception of special story times now and then. Perhaps this program was considered a "special story time" rather than a weekly event.

Flamboyant costuming and heavy make-up on a man dressed as an over-the-top woman would be big distractions to most three year olds. I'd bet good money this program included a lot of very confused, distracted, interrupting and wiggly little kids who were not particularly interested in the story.

That particular drag queen looks pretty scary, actually, and I can see why some of the children in the picture look a little apprehensive.

So - a drag queen library program would be better aimed at and more appreciated by a teen-age and adult audience. Presenting a skit or informative program about the drag world would be appropriate for teens and adults, but - but preschool story time's target audience would not benefit. I don't think any particular harm would be done - but don't think much benefit would occur at that tender age, either.

So keep the drag queens, but put them to more appropriate use and connect them with the most apt audience, teens and adults. Otherwise, Drag Queen Preschool Story Time will be a waste of time and effort.
Why does story time have to have a goal other than telling/listening to a story.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Drag Queens tend to put on a good show. The kids will most likely enjoy it and the parents have an opportunity to discuss the cross dressing issue with their kids.

Cross dressing and homosexuality are not contagious like the flu. Kids are not going to be contaminated by listening to them read a story.

Children are a lot safer if they learn early that there are all types out there, with some parental guidance and discussion.
I'm having flashbacks to when I was 8-9 years old and seeing Boy George for the first time. I was, like, whaaaaa???????

Now I'm a huge fan, so.... but he doesn't dress like that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting