Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:36 AM

12 posts, read 11,978 times

Advertisements

My father has been working two jobs for the last year and I hardly see him. He has a girlfriend who stays home but she is always causing me mental abuse and he does not seem to care in fact he joins in on it. I would like to know that if my father and his girlfriend are not married does that qualify her as a parent and if not can I move out to live with my friends mom since he is rarely home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
You're a minor, so unless you become emancipated, your dad would have to allow you to do this. Have you talked to him about the possibility?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:45 AM

He does not want to but isn't it neglect since he is never home and I buy most of my food that I eat.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Is there no food in the house? Where are you getting the money to buy your food? I wouldn't say it's neglect for a 16 year old to be unsupervised.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:53 AM

I Work and there is food but his girlfriend doesn't want me to eat it so most times I don't eat till I get to work

Old 06-06-2017, 11:02 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,850 times
How many years of high school do you have left? I would set my sights on college instead of living with someone else for a year.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:09 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess4ev View Post
I Work and there is food but his girlfriend doesn't want me to eat it so most times I don't eat till I get to work
Consider talking to the school counselor about this. A parent working two jobs isn't a crime. A parent knowingly allowing abuse (not to mention some kind of weird imposed starvation) of his child by an unrelated adult living in the home is an issue. If you simply move out on your own, though, you'd technically be considered a runaway. Have you spoken to your friend and her parents about it? And btw, she can't prevent you from eating food your dad provides. You're within your rights to eat at home, no matter what she says.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I agree with Ruth, and am very curious about a grown woman who wouldn't allow a teenager to eat the food she herself had purchased and put in the home.

Is there something about that that you aren't saying - like for instance you are diabetic and the food isn't something you should be eating? Or is this food for some upcoming event or ingredients for dinner that night, etc?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:42 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess4ev View Post
My father has been working two jobs for the last year and I hardly see him. He has a girlfriend who stays home but she is always causing me mental abuse and he does not seem to care in fact he joins in on it. I would like to know that if my father and his girlfriend are not married does that qualify her as a parent and if not can I move out to live with my friends mom since he is rarely home?
You will prolly have to wait till your 18.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Consider talking to the school counselor about this. A parent working two jobs isn't a crime. A parent knowingly allowing abuse (not to mention some kind of weird imposed starvation) of his child by an unrelated adult living in the home is an issue. If you simply move out on your own, though, you'd technically be considered a runaway. Have you spoken to your friend and her parents about it? And btw, she can't prevent you from eating food your dad provides. You're within your rights to eat at home, no matter what she says.
They told me there's nothing they can do. And they know also my dad doesn't buy food she does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting