Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,996 times

Advertisements

If you have your child in a store and he or she is being very naughty and disobeying you what do you do. The other day my husband and I were at the store and my 4 year old would not stop throwing a fit. Now mind you, I have very well behaved children "Most Times". And I do disciplin my children at home. Now with that said I can count on one hand how many times my husband and I have spanked each one of our kids ages 12,8 and 4.
My child would not listen to his father or I and my husband smacked him on the bottom. Now, this was a very mild pat on the bottom and I am here to tell you, I was so worried about someone around us making a comment or giving us bad looks, but to my surprise we did not receive any of that. I felt my husband did nothing wrong but anymore you have to watch every move you make.
If you see this in a store what would you do if anything? Or have you ever had to disciplin your kids in a public place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 01:51 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,655 times
I have disciplined my children many times in public and will again if they need it. Not always a swat, but whatever it takes to get them to behave. You will probably have at least one person challange your spanking (see "parents please control your children in public") on this link. I have given my kids a swat on the butt when they needed it while out at the store/mall/resturant.

If you don't discipline them in public because of the fear of what others will say/do, the kids will figure out pretty quickly that when you are out they can act like monsters and get away with it - cuz mom/dad aren't going to do anything about it! "Wait until we get home" just doesn't work for the younger kids. It might with your 12 year old.

Usually, "Do we need to go to the bathroom?" works! They know what will happen if we go to the "bathroom." A spanking on the butt! It only takes once or twice, then just the mention of it will usually get them to straighten up! Of course this is when we can't just leave, talking things out has gotten us no where, and they are just being naughty because they didn't get what they wanted!

Thank you for taking responsibility for your childrens behavior when you are out!!

Old 08-17-2007, 01:52 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
We have but we didn't make a spectacle of it. Sometimes you gotta do what you have to do right then and there.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:57 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
When my kids act up in a store I usually have something in my purse to get them to shut it - a toy, a book, crackers to keep them occupied... depending on where I am or what I have to do. If they keep acting up then I usually leave and we'll sit in the car until they get a hold of themselves. It's annoying but it usually works. Do what you have to do.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:03 PM

109 posts, read 436,244 times
Default My 2 cents..

If a child throws a fit in a public place, and both parents are there, IMO one parent should take the kid outside and let him fit all he wants outside... or in the car... just ignore him while he's throwing his tantrum.

IMO the best way, if possible, is to remove the kid from the premises but not letting him have what he wants, let's say he wants candies and stuff like that.

Next time, if he behaves, treat him with something he likes and let him know that you are proud of him, blablabla, I believe in positive reinforcement.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:53 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Even a 1 or 2 year old will figure out in a nano second that they can get away with murder when you fail to not discipline at all times when needed, especially in a public place. As soon as they know mommy and/or daddy will not do anything when they misbehave in a public place, you will have a big problem on your hands. In my case what I do is usally take them closely to me and whisper or quietly but firmly let them know to stop or they will get whatever punishment it is I think fits. It could be anything from, I will take back the toy in the cart I was about to buy you, to you will no longer be allowed to walk around the store and will go into the cart, to we will not go to McDonalds but will eat at home, to I will take you back to the car. I would never ever leave a child alone in a car. I have a 20 yr. old son and he may stay with the child, or there have been times my husband and I have both been there and one of us takes them back and stays with them, or it may in an extreme case (and this has not happened in years), I will cut short the trip and we go home. Children need to know there are clear and frim rules, whether home or away.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:55 PM

660 posts, read 2,441,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
If you have your child in a store and he or she is being very naughty and disobeying you what do you do. The other day my husband and I were at the store and my 4 year old would not stop throwing a fit. Now mind you, I have very well behaved children "Most Times". And I do disciplin my children at home. Now with that said I can count on one hand how many times my husband and I have spanked each one of our kids ages 12,8 and 4.
My child would not listen to his father or I and my husband smacked him on the bottom. Now, this was a very mild pat on the bottom and I am here to tell you, I was so worried about someone around us making a comment or giving us bad looks, but to my surprise we did not receive any of that. I felt my husband did nothing wrong but anymore you have to watch every move you make.
If you see this in a store what would you do if anything? Or have you ever had to disciplin your kids in a public place?
i've seen this many times before where the parents give the child a smack on the butt and i see nothing wrong you have to let it be known to children that your the parent and that behaviors not tolerated

Old 08-19-2007, 12:51 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times
I would probably have shook your hand or given you some other encouraging feedback if I saw the swat! Too often parents allow their children to scream and act out in public with no regard for the other people in the area.

I was spanked on the bottom when I was a child- I don't think I'm suffering at all because of it.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:00 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,400 times
When my boys were younger (too young to really understand reasoning) I would head right for the junk food isle in a grocery store and grab a bag of cheezies. That kept them quiet during the outing.

I now have no problem disciplining them in public. I know how to handle my kids and if people don't like it they can kiss my big toe.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
I think corrections should be done on the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting