Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

And here is what the professional health organizations say about alcohol and pregnancy:
https://www.acog.org/About-ACOG/News...Know-the-Facts
https://www.acog.org/-/media/Departm...725T1624589342
https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-...pregnancy.aspx
Pregnancy: Prenatal Care - American Family Physician

It doesn't matter what a "science researcher" says, or even what a 72 year old doctor (not an OB or ped) said 7 years ago about alcohol in pregnancy. Presumably, she had her kids at least 40 years ago, when alcohol in pregnancy was not such a big issue. Her own professional group, the AAFP, recommends not drinking during pregnancy. Nor does it help to repeat the results of a study reported out 8 years ago.

The professional groups involved with mothers and babies all say not to drink during pregnancy.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Don't forget about feta cheese too. You aren't supposed to have that either.
Why do you keep trying to trivialize this? Listeria can be evil.
Why Are Pregnant Women Told to Avoid Feta Cheese?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:42 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Katarina I've had about enough of you and your posts too. Do what you want.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:04 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I gave up alcohol immediately when I found out I was pregnant. Didn't want to take a chance and there was no good to come from drinking. I continued being alcohol-free while I breastfed (two years). Even now, I still rarely drink. This is coming from someone who was a real drunkard in another life. Never cared for wine and I don't really miss alcohol.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnext75 View Post
katarina i've had about enough of you and your posts too. Do what you want.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! You should know that your country, Finland, says this about alcohol and pregnancy: "The amount of alcohol exposure that poses risk for the fetus is not known, so it is safest to give up the consumption of alcohol during pregnancy."

About alcohol while breast feeding: "Heavy episodic drinking during breastfeeding may be harmful to the child's development and from a mother-child relationship point of view." Looking at this link, many countries say no drinking while bf, or not drinking is the safest option, and some say it's OK within limits.
Drinking Guidelines for Pregnancy and Breastfeeding - Worldwide

Here's what the Mayo Clinic (US) says: "When you drink alcohol, it passes into your breast milk at concentrations similar to those found in your bloodstream. Although a breast-fed baby is exposed to just a fraction of the alcohol his or her mother drinks, a newborn eliminates alcohol from his or her body at only half the rate of an adult. . . . If you choose to drink, plan carefully to avoid exposing your baby to alcohol." Some pharmacies in the US sell dipsticks that can tell you the alcohol content of your breastmilk.
Thanks! 13 weeks now, had a little ultrasound peek today and saw a very wriggly one!

Yes Finland recommends no alcohol, and also recently did the research (which I can't find now) that showed the impact on the placental cells which reinforces it to me. I did have the odd low alcohol beer and a glass of port at Christmas when pregnant with my daughter but won't be doing that with this one.

Because the amount is so low in blood and therefore breastmilk, it really can't make any difference someone breastfeeding after a drink or two but if they were breastfeeding while binge drinking several times a week that might be a different matter but scaring mothers off drinking altogether while breastfeeding is just going to turn them off breastfeeding in the first place which isn't good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
[/b]Yes, and they used to give cranky babies Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup, too.

You are playing with figures in your statement about blood alcohol and breast milk. While the level may be the same, the child is tiny and would be much more affected than would be an adult.
Care to provide some evidence to back up that a breastfeeding mum having a couple of drinks will affect the baby? I'll agree that binge drinking while breastfeeding is not a good idea, not least because if you're really drunk you aren't capable of looking after the baby and would be dangerous to hold them and feed. But a couple of drinks at the weekend or a glass of wine at dinner will have no impact on baby - there just isn't enough getting through.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,186 times
I don't think any woman should drink while carrying a life inside her .she's endangering the life and well being of that fetus.there have been study's on what drinking does to the fetus but she can do what she wants and deal with the consequences of her decision.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I think it's incredibly irresponsible. And I think someone who can't put the welfare of their unborn child before their own wants maybe shouldn't be having a child.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:11 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

The professional groups involved with mothers and babies all say not to drink during pregnancy.
They are taking a hard line approach but the body of evidence does not support the notion that light drinking (one glass or less of alcohol per week in the third trimester) poses a risk to an unborn baby.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:16 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Don't forget about feta cheese too. You aren't supposed to have that either.

And boxed mac-n-cheese. I've never seen anyone give a pregnant woman side eye for eating Kraft Mac-N-Cheese.
Lab Tests: Chemicals linked to birth defects found in most Mac & Cheese products | WDTN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting