Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:09 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am so friggin tired of the majority catering to the small minority. I gave my daughter a PBJ sandwich one day and she told me they made her sit at a special table and I also got a note asking me to tell them when I give my daughter the big bad poisonous sandwich in the future. Enough of this. It's no different then the special bathrooms that are reserved for the thousand nut jobs out there who aren't sure if they feel like a man or a woman on certain days. This country has run off the rails regarding these issues.

If someone has a peanut allergy, they are the ones that should eat in some designated area. Not the kids who are fine. So, now the "normal" kids can't sit with their friends because their body doesn't have an allergic reaction to PBJ? Sure, that sounds normal. As if spores of peanuts are flying out of the sandwich are just waiting to kill little Johnnie cross the room. Jeesh.
Maybe you should switch schools so your child can eat peanut butter every day. Be sure to first ask if there are any kids who are severely allergic to anything that your precious likes to eat, though.

Has it occurred to you that YOU'RE the entitled snowflake in this situation, and not the kids who find peanut butter incompatible with life? Maybe just pack something else for your kid? Is it that hard to simply avoid killing someone else's kid by giving your own child something else to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 PM

96 posts, read 135,990 times
My daughter is allergic to peanuts - her reaction so far has been hives, just twice in her life. My understanding per her allergist is that having had relatively mild reactions to peanuts in the past is no guarantee that she could not have an anaphylaxis in the future if exposed.

We absolutely are teaching her to ask if there are peanuts in anything she eats, read labels, and in general to NOT accept food offered from friends or anyone else unless an adult can verify that the ingredients are peanut-free. She brings her own treat to every birthday party, etc. There's always an epi-pen in my bag and hers.

But, adults aren't perfect and neither are kids. She once very nearly ate trail mix with peanuts. Our good friend packed it for a hike with her kids and mine. She knows our daughter is allergic, but it's obviously not something she has to deal with every day. She just forgot, it happens. My daughter is usually very careful, but not that time. She was 5. I lunged for that bag in record time! I am teaching her responsibility and caution, but it is a process for any child.

It's routine in our school district for the parents with allergy kids to meet with both the teacher and school nurse before the school year to go over precautions. She's only 7, so I don't know exactly how it will go as she progresses, but it sounds like they do expect her to take increasing responsibility as she gets older. At this age, her teacher and school nurse keep her epi-pens. Starting in 4th grade, she will carry one on her and be expected to know how to self-inject.

She sits at "the allergy table". She can either bring her own food or eat the school's nut-free school lunch. When I packed her lunch, I had to be sure I accommodated the other allergies of kids at her table (tree nuts & shellfish). I understand and don't mind at all. As she gets older, I know they phase out the "allergy table". I think in middle school.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
Everyone wants special treatment these days when it comes to their kids. If someone is slightly off it's like omg you need to accommodate immediately, everyone must!

I was ordering food at a mom and pop shop down the cape. There were all sorts of foods from clam chowder to baked goods. The lady in front of me was going on to the lady working there that her child has a peanut allergy and what did they have to offer her in the baked good section that was nut free. The worker was helpful and pointed out something that had pecans and was like well i guess that won't work since it has pecans. Mother who was already on my nerves said, no it's a peanut allergy that doesn't include peanuts she can eat pecans and had an attitude about it! I wanted to say, lady it sounds like you should prepare your kids snacks yourself and on that note you're holding up the line.

Food accommodations are not always life and death situations. Some people just like to be a pain...this mother was an example.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Everyone wants special treatment these days when it comes to their kids. If someone is slightly off it's like omg you need to accommodate immediately, everyone must!

I was ordering food at a mom and pop shop down the cape. There were all sorts of foods from clam chowder to baked goods. The lady in front of me was going on to the lady working there that her child has a peanut allergy and what did they have to offer her in the baked good section that was nut free. The worker was helpful and pointed out something that had pecans and was like well i guess that won't work since it has pecans. Mother who was already on my nerves said, no it's a peanut allergy that doesn't include peanuts she can eat pecans and had an attitude about it! I wanted to say, lady it sounds like you should prepare your kids snacks yourself and on that note you're holding up the line.

Food accommodations are not always life and death situations. Some people just like to be a pain...this mother was an example.
Just to point out the obvious, you have no idea if the child had a serious allergy or if the mom was just being a pain.

Tree nuts and peanuts are 2 different allergens, FYI.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
How do people who go into anaphylactic shock when they smell peanut butter have a normal life?
Usually by keeping a peanut-free house, avoiding stores where they grind peanuts, and things like that. There's no such thing as a normal life with severe allergies.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:57 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Aren't the severe cases of children going in to anaphylactic shock from peanuts very rare though? In those cases, I could see a ban in the classroom or maybe even the school depending on its size and how it's set up, but to ban peanuts from schools entirely due to less severe allergies or the mere possibility of allergies? I think that's absurd.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Life threatening allergies only. Not a ban on peanuts for all schools just a ban on peanuts in specific classroom of a child who could die from exposure to peanuts since that is where the child spends the majority of his or her day when away from home. Beyond that, a peanut free table in the cafeteria and a ban on peanuts on the playground. I think that's very reasonable.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:18 PM

102 posts, read 101,587 times
What my elementary school did every day was have the teachers ask if anyone had any peanut butter in their lunchboxes. The kids that did gave their lunchboxes to the teachers, who put them in a big plastic bin for the kids to pick up at lunchtime. Not sure what the point of that was, since peanut butter fumes can't float out of a closed lunchbox and all the lunchboxes were stored in cubbies anyway, but I digress.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Just to point out the obvious, you have no idea if the child had a serious allergy or if the mom was just being a pain.

Tree nuts and peanuts are 2 different allergens, FYI.
Was that any reason to be rude to the person working in the food store? A parent should be preparing snacks wherever they go if there is this type of food allergy. Not wandering into a bakery albeit the baked good section demanding something without certain nuts. I'm sure having a food allergy is super inconvenient and worrisome but there worse things to have.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And how do you, as a parent of a child with such an allergy, know that every family is following this rule or is even aware of the rule? What steps are being taken to educate and empower these kids to be their own advocate to guard against such unavoidable slips?
My daughter was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at age 2. She has had it drilled into her head since then that she can't eat peanuts, she can't eat food not given to her by her parents or at her daycare, and that if she starts feeling tingly she needs to call for help immediately. When quizzed she can repeat back that she's allergic to "peanuts" and that if she eats them she will get very sick.

She's only 3 though. She still isn't 100% on not peeing her pants. She can't read. She can't use an EpiPen. She's spent her entire life in the care of someone who can control her environment and the people around her. Luckily for us she is good at communicating and listens to what we and other adults say. Luckily for us she is really good about not eating food she hasnt been given by a trusted adult. I know that not all 3 year olds exhibit her level of self-control, and those kids are the reason why there are peanut bans. I don't know at what age kids we should expect all kids to be in total control to a degree that it's safe to put poison around and just trust them not to eat it, but I don't think it's 3.

And you don't know what other families are doing. You hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I mean there could be some little sociopath who thinks it's funny to put peanuts everywhere.

Bullies use a small but powerful weapon to torment allergic kids: Peanuts – The Denver Post

Old 07-24-2017, 08:43 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
I'm sure if some of these posters had a child with a peanut allergy, that they'd change their tune. Or if they ever saw a kid go into anaphylactic shock maybe they'd be a tad more sympathetic.

If a kid in any of my child's classrooms was allergic to peanuts, I'd have no problem not sending peanut butter into the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting