Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,150 times

Advertisements

I could understand if they were brother/sister, but two sisters? They can definitely continue to share a room for a little more while until the space issue is figured out. A room divider might help in the meantime, if the space is big enough for one. But most importantly, talk to them. Hear them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,655,721 times
Children do not dictate these things. Next they won't like the house or neighborhood. Nip this experiment of theirs in the bud.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,895,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJones87 View Post
I could understand if they were brother/sister, but two sisters? They can definitely continue to share a room for a little more while until the space issue is figured out. A room divider might help in the meantime, if the space is big enough for one. But most importantly, talk to them. Hear them out.
In my experience brothers and sisters tend to get along better then sisters. You wont have privacy no matter who you share a room with so you have to do anything private in the bathroom anyways.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,895,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Children do not dictate these things. Next they won't like the house or neighborhood. Nip this experiment of theirs in the bud.
They aren't demanding or dictating. They are asking a perfectly reasonable request. If it can't be fulfilled, so be it. But they aren't going ona hunger strike in order to manipulate their parents.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,999 times
I can understand why they might WANT their own rooms. But wanting isn't the same thing as getting. Just where do they think this magical spare bedroom is going to be coming from? If your husband needs the other room for all his techy gear, what is their solution for that? Privacy for a 10 or 12 year old is a luxury -- what do they need privacy for? They spend all their time with their noses in their phones or their laptops, anyway, it's not like they are actually interacting with the rest of the world.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:21 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfapple View Post
I have 2 daughters, 12 and 10, who share a bedroom. Both daughters, especially the older one, are telling us that they want their own bedroom. The problem with this is that the only other room in the house that we could turn into a bedroom is the room where DH, who's a computer technician, keeps all of his technology equipment. We'd have to remove a lot of things from that room and put them elsewhere in the house, which would be very inconvenient to him.

Frankly, I can't understand why they have a problem sharing a room. My sister and I never had a problem sharing a room when we were growing up, and she and I are even further apart in age.
If they're making a request, the request is reasonable. If they're making a demand, they're spoiled. The parents make the rules, but the kids can ask for anything they want.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,399,867 times
Asking is totally reasonable. You can say no if it won't work and that is also reasonable. Kids are allowed to make requests and voice opinions without being perceived as spoiled. The response to the no answer might indicate being spoiled (and disappointment would not qualify as spoiled...a tantrum would)

Old 09-04-2017, 10:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
It's completely reasonable to want their own bedrooms, if the space is available. If it's not, it's also completely reasonable for them to share.

Heck, from early childhood till middle school, ALL my siblings and I shared a room...two boys, two girls, all in a large, open-plan second floor lofted space. When I (oldest) hit middle school, my dad finished a room addition and remodel, and my brothers (twins) got their own room, and my sister and I got our own room. My sister and I are six years apart, and sharing space really wasn't an issue.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:46 PM

173 posts, read 134,949 times
It's just a request. I appreciated having my own space as a child so I can understand why they did. I'm an introvert and need my own space.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:09 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,744,881 times
My two girls have their own rooms yet they constantly want to sleep in the others room with them. I mentioned bone time that they should just share a room and they looked at my like I was crazy!

All kids want their own rooms, but I shared s room when I was a kid and grew up just fine. Parents do what's best for the family and kids need to deal with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting