Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 01:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

I tell my son that he's the perfect kid *FOR ME* but that doesn't make him a perfect person because no one is. But I can't imaging parenting a different kid or loving another child as much, so he is definitely perfect for me, warts and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 01:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I've never heard anyone actually say this.

Me neither.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:35 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times
I've never heard a mom say this in person. Like, ever. It's a troll-on-social-media thing.

My MIL does call my kiddos "Mary Poppins Children" because they're "practically perfect in every way", but it's said with a wink and is very obviously her grandmotherly fondness and a joke, combined.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:06 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
I've heard parents say "Oh, she's so perfect," when looking at their sweetly sleeping infant or something, but never really beyond that.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:18 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
It's a little annoying, yes. I have to admit I haven't heard it said, only written, but even so.

One of my nieces sent out birth announcements of her daughter, with a photo--no longer a newborn, but a 3- or 4-month old being held by both parents. Under the photo was the caption "Isn't she perfect?"

Reminds me of another niece who posted on social media that she was looking for someone who would love being a babysitter to "the cutest baby girl on the planet."

It's fine for parents to think privately that their baby is the most beautiful, wonderful, perfect, whatever, as long as they keep it to themselves. When they feel a compulsion to shout from the rooftops, it's time to get over it.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:28 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's a little annoying, yes. I have to admit I haven't heard it said, only written, but even so.

One of my nieces sent out birth announcements of her daughter, with a photo--no longer a newborn, but a 3- or 4-month old being held by both parents. Under the photo was the caption "Isn't she perfect?"

Reminds me of another niece who posted on social media that she was looking for someone who would love being a babysitter to "the cutest baby girl on the planet."

It's fine for parents to think privately that their baby is the most beautiful, wonderful, perfect, whatever, as long as they keep it to themselves. When they feel a compulsion to shout from the rooftops, it's time to get over it.
What horrible, despicable things for a parent to say about their babies.

You can roll your eyes all you want and I won't necessarily argue with you but hopefully you know this is just a proud parent getting cute and emotional about their kids. If you don't, I'm really really sad for the lot of you.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I think it's really cute to say that about a newborn. Means healthy and no issues.

But I do have a friend who would NEVER, EVER say anything negative about her children. Other moms confide to friends that they're having problems in school, trouble with toilet training, teen year difficulties, etc. Not her. Not. one. word ever negative.

Only pretty much constant bragging. I like her quite a bit, actually, as a friend but others have also said wow she is so loyal to her kids. So it's kind of insincere, really, because no one's kids are perfect.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:49 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think it's really cute to say that about a newborn. Means healthy and no issues.

But I do have a friend who would NEVER, EVER say anything negative about her children. Other moms confide to friends that they're having problems in school, trouble with toilet training, teen year difficulties, etc. Not her. Not. one. word ever negative.

Only pretty much constant bragging. I like her quite a bit, actually, as a friend but others have also said wow she is so loyal to her kids. So it's kind of insincere, really, because no one's kids are perfect.
Yes I agree, and the bolded is a different scenario than the OP.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Has anyone, anywhere actually said this?
My mother said it when I was first presented to her as a newborn (back in the days when women in labor were "knocked out" for the experience and only woke up after their babies were born). The nurse who'd brought me in responded, "Not perfect, just a big fat elephant!"

I weighed eight pounds and three ounces.

I've often wondered how big that nurse was!

(I should add that it didn't take long for my mother to discover that I wasn't exactly perfect, as colic struck when I was less than a month old, despite multiple changes of formula. No one slept through the night until I finally outgrew it).

Old 08-22-2017, 03:51 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Saying a newborn is perfect just means the baby is healthy with all body parts present. Going around saying that your older baby is perfect is eyeroll worthy. Even making allowances for some parents still being head-over-heels for a year or two, no one wants to hear about perfection except possibly the child's grandparents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting