Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:58 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times

Advertisements

Vote in politicians and policies that will fund the schools properly, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 05:26 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Do the kids a favor and don't answer your door.

If it's in a nice neighborhood, where you live, then using YOUR logic you could "afford to write a check" too.

Few of my neighbors go door to door anymore. Most post the solicitation on social media. But if a kid today gets out there, I pay a little to help her/him out.

If you really hate the idea, then petition the local/state officials who aren't adequately funding your public schools.

Or if it's an extracurricular club, write the school principal.

Or, again, just don't answer your door.

So, because that poster thinks that it's the parents' responsibility to foot the bill (by writing a check) for THEIR kids' extracurricular activities, it follows on the planet that you're from that SHE should write a check for their kids, too.

I see.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:48 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I ate all the chocolate I was supposed to sell. Both the bars and the M&Ms. It really stunk when it was time to pay up...
This was a similar issue for us back when I sold GS cookies. There were often people who ordered but then were never home or whatever when it came time to deliver them and collect payment. So my family had to pay for those boxes. Granted, we got to eat them too, but we were lower middle class and not exactly swimming in cash, so it would have been better not to deal with this.

I have to admit, when I first saw this thread, I assumed it was from a parent. If you've never had to participate in fund-raising, be grateful for that. It starts even earlier these days... we've already had numerous ones of these at my now-pre-school-age child's daycare (yep, you read that right - it started before he could even talk or walk). We generally don't participate, and I will only buy if it is something that interests me - one of the latest ones was taking a piece of the kid's artwork and being able to get it on a mug, keychain, potholder, etc - I purchased some of those items as holiday gifts for family. But the one where they wanted us to sell basketball tickets for the local pro team - nope, not doing that.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:20 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I'm a parent, and I HATE fundraising. I would much rather just write a check to the school, band, whatever. But the schools make such a huge deal about it. They had a big assembly at the elementary school to "launch" their fundraiser. Basically a big pep rally for the kids to get excited to participate. So my kids come home thinking that they HAVE to do it. They also give prizes if the kids sell a certain amount of stuff, so now they want to win the prizes. They also think that everyone else is doing it and don't want to be left out. So as a parent, when you tell them "no," they are disappointed, sad, and scared that they will be made fun of or actually get in trouble. It's absurd. These are little kids!
I hated the "pep" rallies. It's definitely meant to induce pressure.

I remembered when I was in 3rd or 4th grade (early 90s), we were supposed to go out and sell magazine subscriptions. But it was super pricey, and it turned out hardly any subscription sold. So there was another assembly where the principal yelled at all the students for not pushing and selling the subscriptions. Towards the end, the principal did mused and said maybe magazine subscriptions weren't the way to go. But no matter, the students were at fault for not caring about the school. It was at that point I stopped caring about trying to do fundraisers. I know the next year, they tried something else and that was a disaster as well. (My school was in a poor area, so I guess there wasn't that luxury of having parents just write the checks.)

Old 10-26-2017, 05:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I remembered when I was in 3rd or 4th grade (early 90s), we were supposed to go out and sell magazine subscriptions. But it was super pricey, and it turned out hardly any subscription sold. So there was another assembly where the principal yelled at all the students for not pushing and selling the subscriptions.
That's pretty awful. I had an 8th grade history teacher who would shame kids for not selling enough candy in fundraisers. She would also take up collections from the kids for a food bank; my own parents were poor and it was hard for us to contribute. So I'd bring one food item and she'd make some nasty comment about it.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:56 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's pretty awful. I had an 8th grade history teacher who would shame kids for not selling enough candy in fundraisers. She would also take up collections from the kids for a food bank; my own parents were poor and it was hard for us to contribute. So I'd bring one food item and she'd make some nasty comment about it.
That's where you just want to say to that teacher- Hey witch! My family is almost in need of being a recipient of the food bank so be happy we could spare the item we did- btw your welcome.

Do these teachers or admin's get a kick back or bonus for these things- what is their motivation?

Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Do these teachers or admin's get a kick back or bonus for these things- what is their motivation?
You can't possibly think teachers enjoy the necessity of fundraising, can you?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:36 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You can't possibly think teachers enjoy the necessity of fundraising, can you?
I'm sure they do not as I'm sure when they were working on the teaching certificate that fundraising requirements were the farthest thing from their mind.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:41 PM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
As mentioned I live in the highest tax district in my city and most do not have kids but are willing pay if the funds are not being wasted & budgeted properly. Why should tax payers continue to foot the bill for incompetence or worse to fund excessive compensation for that incompetence. I think the school districts just felt it was too easy to slide a tax increase on the ballot.
Yeah, same here, approximately $15000 (roughly 75%) per homeowner (bare minimum, mind you!) goes straight into the local school budget. Much of that is quickly eaten by so-called 'administrative' costs or is lost to sheer grift, depending who sits on the School Board. Corruption is so poorly concealed because, quite frankly, the district has an open wallet to play with and a population that just want 'good schools' regardless of the cost, even if the price includes what is essentially a corruption tax... sorry, 'administrative' fee.

So yeah, even we childless people like good schools, but it's also nice to know that the money is being handled responsibly instead of treating the homeowners like a bottomless cash register that the school district can tap into at the slightest need! This kind of attitude makes most of sour at the thought of added money-grabs (fundraisers).

Old 10-27-2017, 02:52 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I hated the "pep" rallies. It's definitely meant to induce pressure.

I remembered when I was in 3rd or 4th grade (early 90s), we were supposed to go out and sell magazine subscriptions. But it was super pricey, and it turned out hardly any subscription sold. So there was another assembly where the principal yelled at all the students for not pushing and selling the subscriptions. Towards the end, the principal did mused and said maybe magazine subscriptions weren't the way to go. But no matter, the students were at fault for not caring about the school. It was at that point I stopped caring about trying to do fundraisers. I know the next year, they tried something else and that was a disaster as well. (My school was in a poor area, so I guess there wasn't that luxury of having parents just write the checks.)
Yep. As a mother of 4, as soon as I saw the catalogs etc in the trash they went...

I told my kids "I'll buy you that first prize award not to sell this crap".

Lol because you know it's was touted as a priceless item actually worth $20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting