Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM

58 posts, read 146,359 times

Advertisements

Do you give the parents the "hairy eyeball" ?

Ask to be moved to another table?

Complain to mangement?

or

Just think kids will be kids and thank goodness it's not yours, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
We try to give the parents some slack. However, there was one young man at Jikos restaurant in DisneyWorld that we could hardly tollerate. He threw his food at his mom because he did not like it, screamed, got up from the table and wandered over to the other tables trying to snatch peoples food. The parents were sponges and just sat there looking frustrated. The grandpa (bless his heart) finally grabbed the little monster and hauled him outside. People actually applauded. He was about 7 or so.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
I take out my baton and handcuffs and tell the parents that if they dont settle the brat down i am going to arrest THEM for distubing the peace! Usually works!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scchristi View Post

Complain to mangement?

or

I was at a family style restaurant and a dad was with two boys maybe between the ages of 6 and 10. They were having a blow your straw cover around the restaurant contest that eventually included a table behind theirs of two more kids and their parents. The waitress weaved between straw covers being blown about to tend to the rest of us. After giving the hairy eyeball to both sets of parents, asking the waitress to do something (this was after my husband got a straw cover blown into his face), we finally left. We told the hostess that we wanted to cancel our order (that was actually ready to be served) and we would pay for our sodas and be on our way. I have never been back.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,190 times
I just thank God it's not my kid .

My cousin was telling me when he was on vacation in DisneyWorld last year, there was a couple on their bus with a kid who was throwing a fit about something. My cousin is a big guy, so kids sometimes find him a little intimidating. He was sitting next to the family, looks at the kid and says, "Dude, you're in Disney. What can you possibly have to cry about?" He wasn't mean about it (he has a 2 year old of his own)-just provided enough comic relief to get the other passengers to laugh and ease the tension for the parents. I think the kid stopped crying too-BONUS.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,330 times
If it were bad enough I would leave.

I've never been anywhere that was dreadful though. I see lots of kids doing things I don't allow mine to do (getting up and down from the table for no reason, etc) but have never seen anything REALLY bad.

maybe I've been lucky.

OR maybe I don't get out enough to eat....lol

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,501 times
I usually give the parents the look if they aren't doing anything about it. If they are honestly trying to control the situation I'll tell them "Hang in there" or a sympathetic look.

If they kids are out of their seats and come by my table I'll say "You better behave" or something like that.

This is just in a resturant setting.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,714 times
With three young kids, I have been there, so I never give them the hairy eyeball. Instead I hope and that the parents will remove the kid, because that is the right thing to do out of respect for the other diners.

I didn't take my kids out to restaurants much when they were of tantrum age, but I can remember one time when I did have to leave and take my food home. What can you do, it happens.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scchristi View Post

Complain to mangement?

or

I can honestly say that we must be very lucky because we've never had that problem yet. Hubby and I are both in our mid 40's and have a large family. We've never been accused of having bad kids either, in fact, most of the time people come up to us while we're eating and commend that our kids are well-behaved. Our kids are not angels, but let me say this, if our kids would start acting like the kids described in the above posts, it would be dealt with by taking them out of the restaurant, into the restroom or outside and talking about what is going on, and talking about repercussions (usually a priviledge being taken away, even if it's a cartoon, etc.) if they don't shape up. Also, like another poster above said, there are periods of times in a child's life, that are more prone to tantrums than other times, and certain factors will contribute to tantrums.

I've found that there are reasons why kids are "bad" or "misbehaving". It can be something as simple as the child being hungry or tired. There are parents that take their kids out to dinner very late. Kids cannot wait until 8:00 p.m. to eat; they should be going to bed at this time, not getting their dinner at 8 or after 8:00 p.m. I realize that there are times that the family is on vacation, etc., which interferes with the child's normal routine. In that case, some finger foods need to be brought along while the child is waiting for dinner, and the child needs to have taken a nap earlier in the afternoon if dinner is to be at 8:00 p.m. or later. Young children need things to entertain them while they're waiting for dinner. Young kids and kids in general want to be talked with, have someone that is interested in talking with them, not parents who are on their fourth or fifth adult drink totally enveloped in one another while the child entertains himself by blowing straws at people or running around the restaurant. In my opinion, as a parent of 24+ years, when you see bad kids, or rather, "misbehaving" kids, rest assured that the problem begins with the parents.

Last edited by Donna7; 03-18-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I can honestly say that we must be very lucky because we've never had that problem yet. Hubby and I are both in our mid 40's and have a large family. We've never been accused of having bad kids either, in fact, most of the time people come up to us while we're eating and commend that our kids are well-behaved.
I hope that's in our future! LOL. We took our 2 year old to Friday's last night. Had the waitress bring the highchair, but my daughter is in that "I do" phase and wanted to sit at the table in a regular chair. My husband was dead set against it, but it was pretty empty so I said, let's give her a chance. I told her if she threw anything or got out of her chair she was going right into the high chair (and I would have done it). She was so good, I couldn't believe it. Maybe it was the continuous prayer going on in my head, "Please Jesus keep her butt in that seat. Please let her behave. Please Please Please."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting