Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 04:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I think people who want one sex or the other have many preconceived notions. That's a terrible burden to place on an unborn child. As someone else mentioned, you could have a girl who does "boy" things or vice versa. Anyway, each human brings his/her own unique set of joys and challenges.

I have three sons. The first terrified me as I come from a family of all girls. I had visions of mud and dirt and horrible little boy behavior. None of that came to fruition. My sons are some of the coolest humans walking this planet.

I would absolutely not influence gender.

I just have to say spending time with nieces is definitely not a legit test run to becoming a parent.
I wanted sons and I got sons. Both are very different from each other. The only preconceived notion I had about boys were....they weren't girls. And I was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 05:47 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
My husband wanted boys as a lot of men do, but we were blessed with two daughters and no sons. Let me tell you, those girls have my husband wrapped around their finger!! He could careless that we never had a son! He goes to their gymnastics classes and has even played dolls with them! They are daddy's girls and he couldn't be prouder!

Old 11-22-2017, 05:49 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
OP here. Thanks for the great replies thus far.

Did any of you take any steps to try to influence the baby's gender? If so, did it work?

I'm wondering if all those suggestions on the internet (Shettles method, acidic/basic, eat certain foods, etc.) are pretty much baseless.

I don't think anything actually works as far as trying to conceive one gender over the other!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:27 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
It's okay to have that desire.

I regret though speaking of that desire in front of my two adorable sons. My youngest was set to be girl...All doc's were sure..Then out came a boy!
There went all the dresses from the shower,and replaced with premie clothes. My youngest (now adult) still feels pangs over this ...Since he thinks I was disappointed in his gender. I wasn't. I loved him dearly. It was my 'desire' that was skewed. Not him.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:17 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Quote:

Did any of you take any steps to try to influence the baby's gender? If so, did it work?

I'm wondering if all those suggestions on the internet (Shettles method, acidic/basic, eat certain foods, etc.) are pretty much baseless.
Old wives tales,

-when the women dominates the conception, like her being on top, that is when a girl would be most likely,

-when the man dominates, like from the back or on top, a boy will be conceived,

I have discussed this topic with a few parents, and the old wives tale holds true up to 75 o/o of the time.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:26 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Eh, people can be married to one another, and not want kids. Nothing more to it than that. Kids do in fact cause a loss of freedom (let's not kid ourselves here). Plenty of people decide not to have them for that reason (and there's nothing wrong with that).
To each its own, no one is obligated, in fact some couples cant conceive, and wont adopt. It is ok with me as well, aint judging no one.

As to a loss of freedom, I know from experience. Yes, I don't go out clubbing or bar hopping anymore, or hanging out with the boys, but I was getting tired of doing that anyways. Yes, when the kids are school aged, we cant just take a vacation or getaway any time we want. but its a small sacrifice to pay, to start a family.

compromise is not necessarily a loss of freedom. people face compromises everyday, such as with your partner, or employer. not much of a difference becoming a parent.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:49 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Old wives tales,

-when the women dominates the conception, like her being on top, that is when a girl would be most likely,

-when the man dominates, like from the back or on top, a boy will be conceived,

I have discussed this topic with a few parents, and the old wives tale holds true up to 75 o/o of the time.
Kapikap's concept didn't hold true for me. I didn't take steps to influence the gender, but when I later read about the Chinese calendar and the timing of sex versus ovulation, I got the opposite gender both those things said I should have all three times.

I knew someone who had 6 (yes, 6) girls who really wanted a boy. She kept trying all the best methods she read about, and she had a 7th baby-- another girl. I have another friend who wanted a girl more than anything. 5 boys later, she gave up. She had been trying to influence the gender every single time.

I'm sure some people have been successful, but unless you're doing some sperm washing, it's seriously doubtful you're influencing the baby's gender. It's still chance.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post

I knew someone who had 6 (yes, 6) girls who really wanted a boy. She kept trying all the best methods she read about, and she had a 7th baby-- another girl. I have another friend who wanted a girl more than anything. 5 boys later, she gave up. She had been trying to influence the gender every single time.
Wow! 6 girls? 5 boys?

Amazing how people only get one gender no matter how hard they try.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:26 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,155,161 times
I'm a guy and wasn't bothered about the gender of our first baby. Then after having a girl, I really wanted the 2nd to be a girl also. And I got my wish. And it gets even better. My older daughter had twins a couple of years ago, both girls, and I just adore them. Can't wait for them to arrive here for Thanksgiving in an hour or so.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:54 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,761 times
My ex definitely was hoping for the color pink-- I chose not to find out the gender during the ultrasound because I wanted to do it the old fashioned way and have the anticipation and excitement of wondering if our baby would be a boy or a girl. At her birth when the doctor said it's a girl, he was really, really happy and gloated that "I knew it, it was obvious" lol.

On a side note I had had a dream about five months before she was born one night that the baby would be a girl. When I woke up from that vivid dream I just knew. But I didn't tell him about my dream, knowing he would say it was just a dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting