Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:59 PM

272 posts, read 217,867 times

Advertisements

...p.

Mom jailed for leaving baby OUTSIDE restaurant speaks out | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
A Danish woman jailed by New York police 20 years ago for leaving her baby in a stroller outside a restaurant while she was dining inside is speaking out.
Anette Sørensen was a 30-year-old aspiring actress who returned to New York City in May 1997 from Copenhagen.
She met up with Exavier Wardlaw, the biological father of her then-14-month-old daughter, Liv.
According to the New York Post, the couple decided to grab a drink at Dallas BBQ in Manhattan's East Village.
Sørensen decided to leave Liv and her baby stroller outside the restaurant as she and Wardlaw were inside while keeping an eye on her from the window.
She says she was doing what any normal parents would have done in her native Denmark, where babies in strollers are left on sidewalks while their mothers and fathers shop and dine indoors.
Yeah, no sympathy from me. I never would have done it for certain anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 10:30 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
I have some sympathy, but I don't like her attitude. We have different customs here. She can tell her story if she likes, but I'm not a fan of her 'educating' us. I'm not convinced her way is better.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
I have traveled in Europe, and never once saw people leaving babystrollers outside of a restaurant, with a baby inside. At least not for the length of time this woman was inside the restaurant. It's not like she ran in, ran back out quickly or something. She was enjoying herself drinking and dining for a considerable period of time. It's bizarre that she is trying to pin this on a cultural misunderstanding. Her message is this: "you Americans are just ignorant bigots". Instead, she needs to stop promoting this as a safe practice for parents; it's not.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:27 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,565 times
It's a cultural difference. She was arrested and charges were dropped. The police did their job and everything turned out okay. No biggie.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's a cultural difference. She was arrested and charges were dropped. The police did their job and everything turned out okay. No biggie.
She's had 20 years to revise her story.

I've heard that many patrons in the restaurant told her to bring her baby inside, but she refused.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:48 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,728 times
When I travel to other countries I don't just do as I do at home. Because I don't know nearly as much about the area or the people as I do at home. To keep insisting that leaving a baby outside a BBQ joint in the East Village was the same exact thing as doing it at a cafe in Denmark is ludicrous.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:03 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
I have had a couple friends from the UK who either did this or knew to be custom in some European countries...but they all knew not to do it here because its going to get you in hot water.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:10 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have traveled in Europe, and never once saw people leaving babystrollers outside of a restaurant, with a baby inside. At least not for the length of time this woman was inside the restaurant. It's not like she ran in, ran back out quickly or something. She was enjoying herself drinking and dining for a considerable period of time. It's bizarre that she is trying to pin this on a cultural misunderstanding. Her message is this: "you Americans are just ignorant bigots". Instead, she needs to stop promoting this as a safe practice for parents; it's not.

https://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...-on-in-the-u-s

Yes cultural misunderstanding.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
...p.

Mom jailed for leaving baby OUTSIDE restaurant speaks out | Daily Mail Online

Yeah, no sympathy from me. I never would have done it for certain anywhere.
Who cares what happens in Denmark? She was in the US. In NYC no less. What kind of brainiac leaves a 14 month old out on the streets of NYC?

Old 11-26-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Who cares what happens in Denmark? She was in the US. In NYC no less. What kind of brainiac leaves a 14 month old out on the streets of NYC?
She was an educated woman who knew that NYC was much different from Denmark.

Also, America doesn't have to bend or change it's laws to accommodate the cultural needs of immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting