Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 873 times

Advertisements

I had a divorce a year ago. I have 3 kids in my care. One is 6 years old, second is 5, and the last is still 2. To be honest, it’s tiring at times but I’m working hard for them. I don’t want them to live with nothing in their tummies and pockets. I guess with my work, I can sustain their needs and wants. I want what’s best for my kids.

Just recently, my two kids are looking for a father figure. I was astounded yet felt irresponsible by not giving them the chance to live without a father caring and loving them. But am I not enough? I’m doing my best for them and it should be enough. But still, that thought won’t come out from my head.

So I tried dating. I called some of my friends on whom to date. They gave me some site names but I think I’d be so desperate if I do so. So I ended up going to online dating. There I saw an ad for international dating social event. So I posted some of my pictures, trying it not be showy and agreed to attend the event.

Do you think I’ve made the right decision? Is this move a smart one? Please tell me so. I appreciate your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 06:03 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Is their father not in their lives at all? He's the one who needs to step up.

Unless you are looking for a relationship, dating for the sole benefit of giving your kids a new father figure seems doomed to failure.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 AM

5 posts, read 3,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Exactly contact their father, if possible else don't start a relationship just for the kid's sake or else you will suffer more because of it.

If possible do a family outing and besides time will help in these matter mostly. Don't blame yourself and concentrate hard on raising them as well behaved people

Old 03-15-2018, 08:03 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Unless you are looking for a relationship, dating for the sole benefit of giving your kids a new father figure seems doomed to failure.
I agree. Unless your ex-husband is dead. It is his job to be the "father figure". If for some reason that is difficult, like he is in prison for life or moved to Antarctica then look to your, or his relatives. Their uncles or grandfathers can be a wonderful, stable, role model. Even older neighbors could be a positive influence as surrogate grandparents. When they are older there are also organizations such as Big Brothers/Big Sisters that can provide some support.

I am a retired elementary school teacher (mostly at the early childhood and kindergarten level) what I would NOT recommend is letting your children become attached to a revolving door of temporary "father figures" coming in an out of their lives every few months. Man oh man, you can not imagine both the short and long term damage that does to many children. I believe very strongly that a parent, especially of very young children, should not even introduce their children to a new love unless they have been dating at least six months and are becoming serious and considering marriage.

Frankly, with working and caring for three young children I can't image that you would even have the extra time or extra energy for dating, let alone the extra money to pay for babysitters when you go out on dates.

For now focus on your immediate family. IMHO, in your free time take your children to the park for a picnic or to the zoo or a museum or for weekly trips to the library but don't use that time to look for a new father figure for your children as they already have a father.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Their father should be in their lives, but you can't force him to do that. Or for all I know, maybe he isn't suitable.

Seriously, you simply can not just go out to a bar and pick up a daddy to bring home to them. Your kids are going to have to deal with it. While I don't think it is ideal, many children grow up without a father and they survive.

However, totally different issue, go ahead and do some dating. You should occassionally have a bit of adult time for yourself or you risk going nuts.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,130 times
I don't think is the right thing to do to seek for a partner because your children are seeking for a father figure. First, the relationship you get into might not be what you wanted. Second, you don't know if the relationship would be any better than the previous one. What happen when things go south? What happen when you and this new guy yell at each other? You have to prepare for the worst outcome when you get a new partner. Sometime your good intention might go side way, and there is no guarantee any good would come out of it.

I think what you need to do is talk to your children, and explain to them with patience as to what happen in your life. What brought you and your ex-husband together? What cause you two to break? However, you have to be mindful that what you are telling your kids now might be imprinted on their head for the rest of their life.

I wish you the best in life.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchild35 View Post
I had a divorce a year ago. I have 3 kids in my care. One is 6 years old, second is 5, and the last is still 2. To be honest, it’s tiring at times but I’m working hard for them. I don’t want them to live with nothing in their tummies and pockets. I guess with my work, I can sustain their needs and wants. I want what’s best for my kids.

Just recently, my two kids are looking for a father figure. I was astounded yet felt irresponsible by not giving them the chance to live without a father caring and loving them. But am I not enough? I’m doing my best for them and it should be enough. But still, that thought won’t come out from my head.
So I tried dating. I called some of my friends on whom to date. They gave me some site names but I think I’d be so desperate if I do so. So I ended up going to online dating. There I saw an ad for international dating social event. So I posted some of my pictures, trying it not be showy and agreed to attend the event.

Do you think I’ve made the right decision? Is this move a smart one? Please tell me so. I appreciate your responses!
NO!!!!!! This is a terrible idea. The biggest danger to a young child is his mother's new man. Sure, sometimes it works out great. But sometimes the new man beats the child to injury or death. Sometimes he sexually molests the children. If you can possibly live without a man, live without one. Look carefully to family members, like grandfathers, to step in to be male role models. Be wary of any man, even relatives, unless you know exactly how they behave around kids. If your own father didn't beat or molest his kids, then he's safe. If your older brother or uncle or cousin had the opportunity, but didn't abuse you or your siblings he's probably safe. Any male who you don't have a proven track record of having had the opportunity to abuse or molest children, but did not do so, do NOT let be alone with your kids. And definitely do NOT bring into your household any man if at all possible, and then only after you've known him for many years and are absolutely sure he won't harm the children.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:16 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
NO!!!!!! This is a terrible idea. The biggest danger to a young child is his mother's new man. Sure, sometimes it works out great. But sometimes the new man beats the child to injury or death. Sometimes he sexually molests the children. If you can possibly live without a man, live without one. Look carefully to family members, like grandfathers, to step in to be male role models. Be wary of any man, even relatives, unless you know exactly how they behave around kids. If your own father didn't beat or molest his kids, then he's safe. If your older brother or uncle or cousin had the opportunity, but didn't abuse you or your siblings he's probably safe. Any male who you don't have a proven track record of having had the opportunity to abuse or molest children, but did not do so, do NOT let be alone with your kids. And definitely do NOT bring into your household any man if at all possible, and then only after you've known him for many years and are absolutely sure he won't harm the children.
Very good point!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,609 posts, read 17,940,183 times
One and done.

Why do these all have the same "tone"?

Old 03-15-2018, 08:20 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
One and done.

Why do these all have the same "tone"?
They all tend to have a odd way of explaining relationships, I have noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting